• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB custom, Corbin, Sargent, etc. seats for a gen 2/3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportourer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a better seat for my 07. It came to me with a custom Rick Mayer front seat and the rear seat recovered to match. The front seat just does not work for me. After repeated attempts to contact Rick Mayer about fixing the front seat and not getting any response I am looking to do something different. So, what do you have? Maybe someone would like to do a swap. My seats are in pefect condition, it just doesn't work for me.

I don't have any seats for you, but I am curious: What don't you like about the Mayer? We might be able to steer you to a seat that works for you better based on the answer.

It is sloped forward too much for me. I am constantly pushing myself off the gas tank and it gets old on long rides. I am very easy to please and have had a Corbin on my ST1100 for 11 years and 380,000 miles, two iron butt rallies and many, many thousand mile rallies and have been happy with it. I actually took my ST1100 instead of the FJR to the IBA national meet last summer because I did not want to sit on the FJR for a 6000 mile trip!

The only seat I can recommend is the Daylong having had them on my last 2 bikes.

Based on your response above, I would agree with redjay. Don't skimp. Just get the Russell

I'm pretty tall (6'2") and I also do not like to slide forward into the tank, but it did just that on the stock seats and the Corbins I had tried. The best way to get the right seat angle, and the most comfort possible, is to get a seat customized to exactly what you want.

I had a Russell Daylong made for my 1st Gen FJR and initially it still slid me forward. I sent it back and asked them to change the seat angle so that it gave me more of a pocket away from the tank. They did and I rode that seat for 90k miles before I upgraded to a 3rd Gen FJR. One of the first things I did for the new one was send the seats to Russell, but this time I knew to ask to have the pocket made away from the tank. I also had a Rusell made for my Vstrom and it is every bit as comfortable as the FJR seats.

There are many folks who have been happy with other replacement or custom seats, but you never hear anyone say they are disappointed with the comfort of their Russell.

Actually, I hated the Russell I had done for my Concours, and sold it at a rather large loss. I know they are the 'go-to' seat for almost everyone, but for me they simply got it wrong, and the back-and-forth to get it corrected just didn't work for me.

I don't care for the Russell either (I know that many, many FJR and other riders swear by them). I don't like the feeling of sitting up so high; I've seen others describe that with a Russell you are sitting "on" the bike versus "in" the bike.

I have a Sargent that I like and consider good by my tastes on one bike and a Laam that I consider very good on the other. The Laam is the best that I have found so far for my comfort and likes. My Laam was custom built for me and after riding a bit, I found it made me slid into the tank very slightly - I called Seth Laam and he asked me to ship it back, he raised the front slightly in a one day turn around and sent it back with no charges. Many miles later, I still love it.

My buddy also has two FJRs. He had a Russell built and then did the "drive in"to Russell to get it adjusted as it just didn't work. It is much better but still not as great for him and he uses a different seat for around town. He also has a Rick Mayer that came with a used FJR and it doesn't work for him either (nor me, I tried it). This particular seat puts the rider right on the tank; I think it could work for someone that has a very small butt and likes to be right on the tank. My buddy made contact to try to get it adjusted but the cost was nearly the amount of fresh built Laam. Further, Mr. Mayer suggested to my buddy that maybe the FJR was the wrong bike for him. Wrong; the bike is great, just not that seat.

It is personal preference of course. If you can try a Russell or a Laam from someone that has one, you'll get a sense of what they are like; they work for many folks.

While I like my Laam very much (actually all 3 that I have had) I will not try to steer you in that direction. I will say that based on feedback on all the forums I monitor, either the Russell Day Long or the Laam Custom are the best. Russell is the Gold Standard, of course.

Seth Laam told me that the FJR is a very easy seat to build because it is already so "flat". Where a Honda ST1300 seat naturally angles forward and wants to slide the rider into the tank, an FJR seat pan already has the necessary angle, it just needs a custom touch. If your seat is sliding you forward, I think the good folks at Russell or Seth Laam can fix you up nicely.

I don't think that an "off the shelf" seat like a Corbin or a Sargent has as good a chance at being "perfect". Although I do like the Sargent.

Actually, I hated the Russell I had done for my Concours, and sold it at a rather large loss. I know they are the 'go-to' seat for almost everyone, but for me they simply got it wrong, and the back-and-forth to get it corrected just didn't work for me.
You say they "got it wrong". In what way? Was the seat uncomfortable? Or was there something else you did not like about it?

Not sure how the back and forth did not work for you. Once you know what you don't like and tell them about it they have to fix it.

I got me a pristine Sargent World Sport seat that's 'bout 10 moths old and maybe has 9,000 mi. on it. I used it fer about 6 months and didn't like it, so I went back to the stocker. I wouldn't want to trade, after trying this and a Corbin, I like the stock seat. Prolly let it go fer 'round $300?

I have a pair of custom seats that I can discuss making a deal on...shoot me a PM if you are interested. They are Bill Mayer, I just got a set of Rich's seats from a friend. I actually like this particular Bill Mayer seat because it is built to keep you off the tank...even more so than the Rich's seat...but Rich's is heated.

Are you still looking for a seat ? I have a mint condition Gen 2 Sargent seat that I'm selling after de-farkeling my 2006, just got a new 2014 SuperTenere, the Sargent was awesome for me, I'll be getting one for my new S10.

I'll let my seat go for $250US+ shipping

Ships from a Mi. address

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, I have a (like) new Saddleman Gel Tech seat for sale. It sits a little wider, maybe a little higher, and much cooler than the stock seat. I like the front a lot, but she didn't like the rear. I also had a Sargent and liked the front (not as much), but she didn't like the rear. I am going to stay w/ stock seats for now. LMK if interested in pics... $250 shipped.

https://www.saddlemen.com/tech-style-gel-channel-2pc-2up-seat-fjr1300-yamaha?search=

Sorry , the seats are sold.

Last edited by a moderator: