WTF is up with Japanese Styling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog9

Reaction score
First visit to a Motorcycle Dealer in 18 months or so today, this shop had Yama, Kawa, Suzuk, Honda & Triumph. I have to say most of the 09 styles are weird.......... almost insect like. The ZX14 looks like one of the droids in the Matrix, the R-1 looks like a crosseyed bug, the VMAX is just plain strange............ ANd the strange round drooping headlights on the CBR....... The 08 designs looked good overall, and MAN am I glad they left the FJR alone. I know some of you have a jones for a new FJR but if they let the current designers do it they will spoil an almost perfect bike. Yes, I know it takes time to adjust to new bike styles & such but man are these things weird looking........... Are the desigers on a diet of crystal meth and redbulls??????

First visit to a Motorcycle Dealer in 18 months or so today, this shop had Yama, Kawa, Suzuk, Honda & Triumph. I have to say most of the 09 styles are weird.......... Are the desigers on a diet of crystal meth and redbulls??????
I think you're on to something here.... At the 2008 MC show, I thought the GSXR with it's wild dual pipes looked too.... well.... ghey for me. Not that there's anything worng with that! But sorry, it's UGLY.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just the next generation moving into the driver's seat. And a sure sign that we're getting old.

Yes, I know it takes time to adjust to new bike styles & such but man are these things weird looking........... Are the desigers on a diet of crystal meth and redbulls??????
This from a guy with a Jeep Commander in his avatar? Talk about a styling FUBAR!

First visit to a Motorcycle Dealer in 18 months or so today, this shop had Yama, Kawa, Suzuk, Honda & Triumph. I have to say most of the 09 styles are weird.......... Are the desigers on a diet of crystal meth and redbulls??????
Styling is not styling unless it advances something -- puts the marker forward. Otherwise, it's merely serviceable/practical design.

Sometimes it can be both: When the original Hayabusa came out its stying put-off alot of people -- until it was found out that it would go almost 200 mph right-out-of-the-box. Then that weird styling started to get some real acceptance.

Some styling milestones (IMO) are the Ducati 916, now 15 years old but still looking good and the MVAgusta Brutale, which says to me, "I dare you to ride me." Both of these bikes stopped me in my tracks when I first saw them in person. The Raven R6 I saw at a local dealer a couple years ago did that, too.

A lot has to do with the intended market -- if you're after 'the old ladies knitting circle' crowd?.....well, what are you gonna get (styling-wise)? :unsure: :rolleyes:

If you're after young riders?...well, that's different... :blink: :eek:

It's becasue the guys designing bikes in Japan today, grew up on a steady diet of imagery like this:

Transformers.jpg

Notice some of the resemblance..?

It's becasue the guys designing bikes in Japan today, grew up on a steady diet of imagery like this:
Transformers.jpg

Notice some of the resemblance..?
It's true. That one on the right transforms into a pewter chess set.

Tokyo Motorcycle show is in a couple of weeks. Can't promise it'll get any better, but, hope to have some pics of 'the latest' up for you soon....

One of the things that has always attracted me to bikes is the close relationship between form and function, which is not as close as it used to be; but I am getting older:) I really appreciate that I can see the motor on my FJR!

It's just the next generation moving into the driver's seat. And a sure sign that we're getting old.
As someone who is young (26) I had the same reaction as the OP when I went to RMC the other day. What is wrong with Honda? Those new front ends look hideous. Like someone mashed them into a wall or something. While the profile is ok, it just looks silly from head on. That, and the exhaust looks like it'll be very "2009" within a couple years.

I'm not keen on the Suzuki colors this year for everything except the Busa, but I thought the lines were ok over all.

The R1 will look ok just as soon as it gets some after market cans to replace those monstrosities it ships with. But what is with the pink seat on the red and white model? It's like they seat division was color blind.

Exhausts are there to hit emissions these days, Japan is pretty strict, which may be why all the Japanese bikes have those big things stuck on the ends.

Even on something like the Duc 1098, they had to extend the cans another 10cm or so to meet JP emissions. Looks pretty bad.... of course, you are only tested on emissions every 2 years here....