Yama Gel Seat.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
Ok I did a search can't find any info on what everyone thinks about the Gel Seat offered from Yamaha.

Buy used!. Save yourself some money.

My wife likes it better so far but as for me i think i will be going back to the stock seat. It's either that or i try and add an inch of foam and narrow it down a bit. JMO (200 lbs. 5'10" tall)

I have one and have put up to 12 hours a day on it. It is definitely more comfy than my stock seat on long trips, but uncomfortable for around town use due to the width. I also keep a sheepskin on it as I have noticed that the gel seat gets extra hot and I would look pretty funny in my butless chaps if my cheeks were burnt :yahoo: I still plan on buying a custom seat eventually.

well it sounds like its much wider than stock...I 29 inseam so this could be a problem.

I had bought one originally but then sold it. It is more comfy than the stock seat, but not by a whole lot. It is wider and firmer (I have a 30in inseam) so your reach to the ground will be more of an issue. My wife thought the gel seat was too hard. The gel does get hot in the sun. I have a Bill Mayer saddle now and like it much better (more $$$ though).

I only use it on trips, but really, buy a custom, you'll be happier. if you reall want a gel seat I'll sell you mine cheap.

I have one......... it works fine for me, Then again, I'm damaged and don't know any better.... ;>

B.

The Gel seats add about hundred miles, sheepskin cover another 100 miles over stock. I’ll be selling the gel seats next month after my Russell’s are done. Do buy used and add the sheepskin covers during the summer; I’ve soaked my gels in a lake after sitting in the sun on a trip last summer.

Fedex says the seat will be deleivered between 4/14 - 17!

Can't wait. Will give feedback after first ride. I have a 32" inseam so the extra width may not be an issue.

Rob

Just bought a gently used gel seat. No long rides yet, but after an hour ride felt as though it was too thin and feel that those who have added stiffer foam were on the right track. Kinda felt like I was sitting on the seat pan directly! What I do like about it the best is that it feels as though the seat is flatter so that the area of the seat that contacts my delicate bottom is greater. Just sitting in the sun in mild temps, the seat gets very warm, so will inevitably be buying a sheepskin to try and keep it cooler. I have a 30" inseam and found no height difference/issues from the stock seat.

I rode my 06 home 7 hours and felt pretty good. My rear hurt a little, but not bad for the time in the seat. I bought the gel seat and I was miserable after 2 hours. Save the time, money and headache and go for a Bill Mayer, Russell....take your pick, you won't be sorry. I bought a Bill Mayer seat and am very pleased with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The seat came in on Friday but have been working too much to go on a long ride. It does feel more comfrotable just sitting on the bike in the garage. It is about 1 inch wider at the widest point, I measured it. So will be going on a ride this weekend and will report then.

OK, I did a short ride, about 15 miles and the seat seems better than stock. It is wider as I mentioned before so at a stop my legs are spread apart a little more but not to the point of being uncomfortable. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I plan a longer ride tomorrow and will report then.

Rob

OK, so today I took a 175 mile ride with the new seat. In short it is an omprovement but not big. The seat is wider so you move around a little more. I had boxer short on under jeans and they are VERY uncomfortable as one of the seams went under me and the seat. For long ride like this I normally wear LD boxer's, they make a big difference. My GF thinks the new seat is a little resctrictive since the passenger seat part ramps up at the front than the stock seat. Also, the cover is a nice carbon fiber look and it is easier to slide front to back than the stock seat cover.

Anyway, so was the seat worth the $280, kinda when you consider that a custom seat is over two times that amount.

Good Luck guys!

Rob

(Playing Devil's Advocate here ;) )

... or if you'd saved the cost of the gel seat, you'd have a custom Russell or Mayer seat about 1/2 paid for, eh? :p

It's all good! I don't know which way to jump either, but am leaning toward a Russell seat this summer if I can swing a trip down to Shasta Lake, CA for a ride-in fitting. I figure it will take me two days to get there, spend a day at their place, then on to Redding to spend a few days with my sister.

If the seat is all it is reputed to be, the trip home should be one quick blast with no overnight stop. That should be an excellent test.

Decisions, decisions! :unsure:

Don

Shasta Lake is only 10-15 min north of Redding, so, you are

already there!!

FWFE

and if your in Redding in the summer, NEVER use your sidestand!

unless your on concrete!

I've found the stock seat to be comfortable enough, like a comfy sofa after riding a Honda VTX. Due to some arthritis onset and back problems, it is painful for me to ride more than 3 or 4 hours a day, anyway. This may be the wrong place to say this, but I've never found a cross-country bike trip to be any fun. I have more fun if I trailer to a destination with beds and showers and do day trips from there.

Last edited by a moderator: