Yamaha customer satisfaction surveys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
The last time I got a customer satisfaction survey after having my bike serviced I actually took the time to fill out the questioneer and send it back to them. Today I had to call the dealership that I bought the bike from to get them to make a decision on whether my 2nd ignition failure will be covered under the YES warranty or not. In the conversation, the service manager alluded to the fact that the last time they worked on my bike I gave Yamaha such a negative feedback about their shop and their employees that their rating "fell from a nine to an eight" (whatever that means in the whole scheme of things) and implied that their decision may now be affected. I mean WTF is the point of a customer filling out a customer satisfaction survey if they are going to provide the shop with the name, address, and phone number of the responder?? Now I feel like I am going to get blackballed for filling out the form honestly. Wouldn't it make more sense to provide the dealerships with the results of the surveys without throwing the customers under the bus? Am I missing something here?

While dealers can influence Yamaha's negative decision on a warranty claim - assuming that they agreed to repair the problem, the shop wouldn't be likely to lobby them to refuse coverage.

The simple fact is that if the local dealer is so distasteful to you in terms of the quality of their work, why are you bringing it back to them at all?

As to whether they provided your name to the dealer, they may not have . . . directly . . . if they simply mentioned the type of bike and/or the nature of the issue they worked on they would likely be able to figure out who blew the whistle. And you confirmed it for them. However if they DON'T tell the dealer where he's gone wrong, how can he improve? And THAT is likely the best way to have responded to your dealer - would they have preferred and had you lie? After all, what other feedback do they get?

As to whether they will cover this second failure? Why not? They covered the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a great point to talk with the people in Cypress about.

The power of a survey is supposed to feed back into the cycle of overall customer service from a trend in returns. That 8 or 9 point overall as it goes up or down is usually and overall indicator of performance.

There's also a virtue of addressing the specifics of a particularly bad (or positive) single response.....to make sure there's not a gaping hole somewhere. But if they treat it like you've made it sound like they have....it's even worse poison than if they didn't do a survey. Misplacing their attention to the ire of one customer ends up being cancerous.\

That and it sends a chilling effect to the next person that might consider responding to a survey.

Regardless, this sounds like something you should share with Cypress. I would imagine those surveys are corporate driven and not dealer initiated. I would ask them why you didn't remain anonymous in the survey?

Regardless, this sounds like something you should share with Cypress. I would imagine those surveys are corporate driven and not dealer initiated. I would ask them why you didn't remain anonymous in the survey?
I did take this up with Cypress this morning when they told me that the dealer will check the problem out and the dealer will make a decision on warranty coverage. I asked them specifically if my name was shared with the dealer when I filled in the last survey and "Erica" told me that it definitely would have been which discounts BRAMFRANKS plausible theory that they may have figured it out on their own. Having another dealer service the bike is an option for me if I want to either travel over 100 miles due east or take three ferries over to another state (which I have in fact done). At this point, I would rather live with a toggle switch ignition or resolder it myself rather than face the possiblity of something else being seriously screwed up by an incompetent dealer because I doubt seriously that they will provide me with parts only under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
if my name was shared with the dealer when I filled in the last survey and "Erica" told me that it definitely would have been
Wow, that's a shock. I thought that sort of thing wasn't shared. On the other hand, I hope Suzuki does the same thing with the survey I filled out on my DL-650. My Suzuki dealership sucks so much I had to enclose another page to list all the suckage, and I sure hope they got it.

That sounds like a great point to talk with the people in Cypress about.
The power of a survey is supposed to feed back into the cycle of overall customer service from a trend in returns. That 8 or 9 point overall as it goes up or down is usually and overall indicator of performance.

There's also a virtue of addressing the specifics of a particularly bad (or positive) single response.....to make sure there's not a gaping hole somewhere. But if they treat it like you've made it sound like they have....it's even worse poison than if they didn't do a survey. Misplacing their attention to the ire of one customer ends up being cancerous.\

That and it sends a chilling effect to the next person that might consider responding to a survey.

Having been in the car biz for the last 25 years, and being a slave to the CSI survey, I can tell you that the manufacturer is the source for most surveys. Your overall rating as a dealer (ie. sevice dept, parts dept, sales,and finance combined) is usually linked to some sort of bonus to the dealer. I am assuming that you flamed the dealer on that survey. If the dealer deserved it, that's fine. We often find that a customer misdirects his displeasure. In that case I sympathise with the dealer. However, if the dealer sucked that bad, why go back again? Did you try to explain your problem with them at the time of service or did they get blindsided by the survey? If they are truely bad, find someone else. I'm not defending, just showing the other side.

GUNNY (on finding another dealership)

I take mine to a small shop that's only ever worked on 1 FJR...mine. They have far exceeded my expectations and I can't say enough good things about them. Now that I've moved, it's a 180 mile one-way drive to that dealership (instead of the 50mile one-way trip).

I might consider the local dealership, but I have a feeling that my FJR will be one of two that they've ever seen and/or serviced.

if my name was shared with the dealer when I filled in the last survey and "Erica" told me that it definitely would have been
Wow, that's a shock. I thought that sort of thing wasn't shared. On the other hand, I hope Suzuki does the same thing with the survey I filled out on my DL-650. My Suzuki dealership sucks so much I had to enclose another page to list all the suckage, and I sure hope they got it.
I think most surveys have a block to allow for anonimity. I do suggest however, if you're going to flame the dealership, that you do not return for service. It's kind of like insulting your waiter before you get your food. You never know what you'll find. If the dealer is your only option, try to work with them to resolve the issue before burning them on the survey.. Don't blame the dealer because they can't get the part for 3 weeks. That's Yamaha, not them. Call customer service. See if they can help. Most of the customers that they have to deal with are squids with attitudes and no concept of manners. Approach the situation calmly and intelligently. If that fails,call Yamaha.

Both the Ford and Chevy dealer here will give you a $25 gift certificate if you bring the (uncompleted) survey to them and allow them to fill it out and turn it in. How legit is that?

I also own a Suzuki that I received a RECALL on and my local dealership refused to perform the recall repair on my bike stating “you didn’t buy it here, so take it to where you bought it”, yet the Suzuki website states that Recall service can be performed at any authorized Suzuki dealership.

By all rights, whether it is the manufacturer or the local dealership, customer satisfaction surveys are intended to teach them about their ability to retain customers, not lose them. Like any tool, when that tool is abused and not utilized for what it was designed, things tend to get broke. If you go into your local shop and they throw in your face, “hey, you gave us a poor rating just because we jacked you around for three weeks”, let them reap what they sow.

Both the Ford and Chevy dealer here will give you a $25 gift certificate if you bring the (uncompleted) survey to them and allow them to fill it out and turn it in. How legit is that?I also own a Suzuki that I received a RECALL on and my local dealership refused to perform the recall repair on my bike stating “you didn’t buy it here, so take it to where you bought it”, yet the Suzuki website states that Recall service can be performed at any authorized Suzuki dealership.

By all rights, whether it is the manufacturer or the local dealership, customer satisfaction surveys are intended to teach them about their ability to retain customers, not lose them. Like any tool, when that tool is abused and not utilized for what it was designed, things tend to get broke. If you go into your local shop and they throw in your face, “hey, you gave us a poor rating just because we jacked you around for three weeks”, let them reap what they sow.
A luxury car maker that I worked for would recieve anywhere from $2-300 per sold unit if the CSI for the quarter was kept above a certain level. Say we sold 120 cars in a quarter, that would mean around $36000 in extra $$$$. I'm sure that if the motorcycle industry does this, it's nowhere near those numbers.

What those Ford and Chevy dealers are doing is not right but I'm sure it's not uncommon.

If a dealer is giving you crap about warranty service, let the manufacturer know. But again, would you feel comfortable letting them work on your pride and joy with them knowing that you just "tattled" on them?

All of these are reasons I do my own work. If you can't, try to build a good relationship with a reputable dealer or private shop. They are out there.

My point is, what is the sense of having people fill out a customer satisfaction survey if you can't post negative responses without fear of retribution from the dealership? I went through "all the proper channels" respectfully at the dealership and even took my concerns to Yamaha Corporate before I filled out the survey. My complaints had nothing to do with the dealerships ability or inability to get parts for the bike but their overall incompetence and lack of customer service and support in general. In my simple thinking I figured Yamaha may actually give a damn and try to counsel the dealer in ways to improve. I can't take the bike to an independent shop for the ignition failure and the closest competent Yamaha authorized dealer is in another state! Their policy of just handing over the survey to the dealership is misguided at best and completely stupid at the worst. So, in my mind, I am now stuck with a motorcycle that I love but can't get warranty work done on locally. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?

If the dealer is your only option, try to work with them to resolve the issue before burning them on the survey.. Don't blame the dealer because they can't get the part for 3 weeks.
Well, this is the dealer that mismounted tires, that insisted I buy EBC pads and FRAM filters instead of the OEM parts I wanted and then acted like it was the biggest imposition that they had to order them. And it wasn't just the parts guy being pissy either, as the manager backed him up on it and gave me the 3rd degree about why would I want to buy the expensive parts. Well, they might be twice as expensive, but they last three times as long, wear more evenly, and don't score my rotors.

The saleswoman also got peeved when I asked that she slow down on the paperwork and when I declined the $270 security sticker package. In retrospect I should've walked then, but I figured she was having an off day. When I returned to pick up the bike and asked to order a service manual and got a cold shoulder, I realized it wasn't.

So yeah, it's the dealer. :) Don't go to RideNow Powersports of Longwood/Orlando

My Nissan dealership (who are great BTW) always asks me to tell them if I can't give them an excellent rating. I think this is a good policy. If they can't fix your issue or take care of you via the manager/owner or whatever then they deserve to be panned. I am a very customer service oriented consumer so, I'm a believer in allowing the dealership (car or MC) to have the opportunity to make it right. Then, if they are dicks, jam-em-up in the survey. They deserve it.

My Nissan dealership (who are great BTW) always asks me to tell them if I can't give them an excellent rating. I think this is a good policy. If they can't fix your issue or take care of you via the manager/owner or whatever then they deserve to be panned. I am a very customer service oriented consumer so, I'm a believer in allowing the dealership (car or MC) to have the opportunity to make it right. Then, if they are dicks, jam-em-up in the survey. They deserve it.
I totally agree. If you have tried to be nice and they are still being dicks, hang thier ass from a flagpole!! I was just expressing my view from the other side of the fence having been burned by customers that flew off the deep end without trying to be civil first.

The best way to get revenge on a crappy dealer is hit them in the wallet. Don't use them, tell your friends not to go there, and let Yamaha know why.

Unfortunately, there is a never ending flow of young kids buying bikes and expensive parts who have no higher expectations. The dealer knows that fresh meat is always on the way. Sad but probably true.

Axeman,

YES did cover both of my ignition switch failures and did rekey the new switch to the old key (both times). Mine went to Razee and there were no questions asked. I feel it's not right to share your name with the dealer that screwed up your service.

Axeman,

That dealership is lucky they didnt say that crap to me! I would have torn the jackass who threatened me a new one. I would also take Iggy's advice and go to Cypress with this comment from the dealer. I would highlight to them (as I would ahve also highlighted to the dealer) the correlation between your poor rating and the fact that you are now back at that dealership to get the same problem fixed again, cooincidence? I think not. I would also highlight to Cypress your sentiment that if they actually use this feedback to better serve their customers then dealers that use this information in this manner are doing the company as well as the customer a huge diservice!

When I bought my new 07'. The salesman had a laminated example of the customer survey that they said I would receive from

mamma Yamma. He actually coached me on how to fill it out "properly" by checking all the highest marks...took at least 15 min

of my time to do this...then left me alone with it...then came back and asked me if I had any issues with giving them the highest

mark on any item. I told him I did...and he then told me to still mark it high and they would address the issues in the future.

Then he did a dumb thing. He showed me examples of filled out surveys from recent customers. They get them all, with your

name on it. It's not a blind survey at all. Being nice...but honest could really hurt your relationship with the dealer!

I got the survey and it sits in my FJR binder of stuff to this day. No way in hell I'm gonna be honest and have it bite me in the ass

with them. To further prove that they get them...they keep asking me when I'm gonna fill out the survey...so I know they are

watching for it.

So I guess Yamaha doesn't really care about honest evaluations of their dealerships...or they'd conduct their surveys in a manner

that fosters honest and complete feedback.

The best survey there is is cash.

I never ever fill out surveys, questionaires, clubmemberships, opinionations, Winn Dixie Card applications.

This only provides data to a database that can be hacked, used as evidence, sent to correct performance (in turn used for revenge), tracking data, etc.

Those dealerships that do not provide excellent service are lacking in management and a sense of quality control.

If they are aggressive in customer satisfaction they will figure it out.

If not they die.

Capitalism at its finest.

Never ever give repeat business to a dealer or shop that does not treat you like they depend on you for their next meal.

Learn how to do it yourself or go the extra mile to avoid less than exceptional service.

There are too many instances of individuals forking over their hard earned cash to slackers and n'er do well dealers.

That having been said I know both in the auto and m'cycle industry there are those that will be malicious and less than professional in the care of your vehicle.

If you have to go there do only the minimum with them and continuously look for alternatives.

Of course those who desire to remain ignorant of their machine are destined to become victim of the unscrupulous wrench.

There are excellent shops and persons of knowledge (case in point this forum) in which to entrust your noble stead.

Find them befriend them and support them but let those whose goal is purely to separate you from your money be damned and removed from the list of those worthy of your business.

Warranties are only worth so much. Once you have spent more in time and aggravation it's time to move on (engine rebuilds aside).