• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Yamaha Protection Plus on 'sale'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Fellow Canucks

When I bought the 2016 last Oct, I was quoted about $1400 (& tax) for 4 yrs of YPP coverage. 'Retail' was $1695, which I was never able to confirm. For whatever reason info about YPP pricing is hard to come by.

I called about buying it now that the 1 yr warranty is about to expire, and was told that Yamaha Canada has lowered the price for some unkown period to $1000 + tax. My sales guy says he has seen this unadvertised price lowering in the past; if you are thinking about buying YPP, call your dealer soon to check this out.

-Steve

Is this the same as the YES (extended factory warranty) in the US? Or does this also include the routine maintenance?

If just the same as YES I would never pay that much for it. I had a transferred YES on my 05 (bought used) and paid less than $400 for the YES on my '14ES. Never used it for the '05 or so far on the '14 (knock on wood).

If it includes all service it might be worth it if it is 4 years and unlimited miles. But not by a lot. Regular maintenance is not that big a chore on these bikes.

YPP is the Yamaha Canada version of YES. It is much less than YES, for example no trip or tow coverages. There is no service component. A ES shock is over $3400 in Canada, and dealer shop rates in Vancouver are in the $100/$110 per hr range. In the US the shock is about $2500, what is your local dealers shop rate?

Like any insurance product, I hope never to use it. It's a $1000 piece of mind for the first production yr of a complicated machine that has single source replacement parts. YMMV.

-Steve

I decided to forgo the YES plan on the 2015. Hope it was the right decision but time will tell. I paid twice on the 2008 and the return investment was a loss in my opinion. It was nice to enjoy the security but I have coverage for break downs in my insurance also. These bikes are rock solid so I am hoping for the best.

Dave

As far as I know, nobody has had to replace any ES shock period. Any A models that have done so are unlikely to get warranty relief unless it springs a leak and gushes oil out, which is not common. Most riders just tire of the wimpy shock and decide to upgrade it, and of course that isn't covered. Yes, labor rates are high octane here days even in the more valuable US dollars, but these bikes just do not require much corrective maintenance.

Like I said, not worth $1000 in my opinion. Even at 400 I was hesitant, and only sprung for it due to the unknowns of the first year ES suspension when I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also hope for the best, but plan for the worst in this case.

There may even be some value should I sell this bike in the next 4 yrs.

-Steve

Ha ha, yeah... I keep forgetting the loonie is in the dumper.

But even at current exchange rates $1000 C is $800 US, still twice as much as YES

What YES costs is of no consequence to Canadians.

FWIW, if you buy YES from a normal dealer rather than from D&H, it probably does cost about US$800.

Certainly CA$1000 is a lot better than CA$1400, so .... thanks to the OP for sharing what is a good deal.

Money is money on both sides of the border. Warranties are warranties, which are really just insurance policies. These bikes just don't break enough to justify $1000 C or $800 US extended warranty.

I am giving my experience and my opinion. Yours may vary but does not negate mine.

Bullshit like this is why I no longer contribute here much anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred W

Instead of being angry, lets be happy that we both live in free countries where I can buy a repair contract for $1000, which you would never do, and you can purchase a red bike, which I would never do.

Sharing useful current information is a basic reason to participate in owner forums, wouldnt you agree?

El Toro

You are welcome.

-Steve

Fellow CanucksWhen I bought the 2016 last Oct, I was quoted about $1400 (& tax) for 4 yrs of YPP coverage. 'Retail' was $1695, which I was never able to confirm. For whatever reason info about YPP pricing is hard to come by.

I called about buying it now that the 1 yr warranty is about to expire, and was told that Yamaha Canada has lowered the price for some unkown period to $1000 + tax. My sales guy says he has seen this unadvertised price lowering in the past; if you are thinking about buying YPP, call your dealer soon to check this out.

-Steve
Thanks for reminding me to check the exp. date of my Y.E.S.
smile.png
Have not had to use it but $400 for four years is less than annual premium for my All State policy.