Yamaha Touring Windsceen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaKappaZeta

Reaction score
I installed the Yamaha touring windscreen last night. It's about 4 inches taller than the stock one.

I rode in to work this morning to test it out as my commute forces me to ride on everything from side streets to highways. I was disappointed as the buffeting at the top of the helmet that I experienced with the stock unit did NOT disapper despite the extra 4"

That wasn't the worst of it - at highway speed (100 Km/h or higher) it started to wobble (front to back). The higher the windscreen the worse the wobble, at full height the damn thing was moving so much that I thought it would either break the mounts or worse damage the lift motor.

Has anyone else had this experience? Does this sound like an installation issue? or Worse something to do with the mounts and lifting system?

Finally, does anyone have a similar problem with the Rifle windscreen? As I'm now thinking about ordering one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I installed the Yamaha touring windscreen last night. It's about 4 inches taller than the stock one.

I rode in to work this morning to test it out as my commute forces me to ride on everything from side streets to highways. I was disappointed as the buffeting at the top of the helmet that I experienced with the stock unit did NOT disapper despite the extra 4"

That wasn't the worst of it - at highway speed (100 Km/h or higher) it started to wobble (front to back). The higher the windscreen the worse the wobble, at full height the damn thing was moving so much that I thought it would either break the mounts or worse damage the lift motor.

Has anyone else had this experience? Does this sound like an installation issue? or Worse something to do with the mounts and lifting system?

Finally, does anyone have a similar problem with the Rifle windscreen? As I'm now thinking about ordering one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tanks for reporting and sorry for you. I almost order this windshield but I change my mind and order a VStream that I should receive next week.

I'm sure somebody will give you a hint to solve the problem. :)

Mine moves a bit but not that much. That extra 4" isn't that much really.. I can see over mine and there's a bit of buffeting but it's considerably less with my Shoei helmet than it was with my HJC.

If you really want to hide behind a tall screen you have to get the Cal-Sci or that other brand (I can't think of the name). However, as BustanutJoker said, you're putting a billboard in the wind...

I've been running the touring windshield for a couple of years while out on the rode and ya its far from perfect. The wobble gets quite pronounced in dirty air behind a semi but I wouldn"t worry about anything being damaged or breaking. If I could find a windshield with a strong following I would switch in a minute but I don't think there is a windshield nirvana for the FJR. I rode last weekend with a couple of guys with the V-stream that seemed to like it so will try one someday.

So far, the nicest screen to sit behind (for me anyway - 6' tall) is the rifle with tuning bar. Sure it vibrates, lower it a little, and just to play safe, check the mounting hardware.

You mount a barn door to the front of a motorcycle, get it goin 60 mph, whadda ya expect?

Baz

IMHO, the Yamaha touring screen is terrible. Rifle, Casci, V-stream are all good.

Do a search on google like this: rifle site:fjrforum.com. (or calsci, v-stream)

Lots and lots of info and pics on this subjetc.

No one size fits all windshield. The stock windshield seemed to make or cause a roaring noise at highway speeds and lots of helmet buffeting. We went with the Cee Bailey Standard Contour, 2 inches taller than stock, 4 inches wider. It made a very noticeable improvement. Most of the buffeting is gone, the roaring noise that used to occur around 55 mph is gone, and unless you are familiar with the FJR, it looks like the factory shield. I don't think any of them are perfect though, and I don't know of any way to stop the wind noise for every different rider. We felt we got our $$ worth out of the Cee Bailey.

Mine moves a bit but not that much. That extra 4" isn't that much really.. I can see over mine and there's a bit of buffeting but it's considerably less with my Shoei helmet than it was with my HJC.

If you really want to hide behind a tall screen you have to get the Cal-Sci or that other brand (I can't think of the name). However, as BustanutJoker said, you're putting a billboard in the wind...
Thanks and I get that it won't be rock solid especially at full extension on highway speeds but this is my first ride with an adjustable screen and there were 2 results that made me unsure of the install:

- I was disapointed that there was NO difference in performance from the stock screen ( I just flushed $250 down the crapper).

- I wasn't sure if that kind of action was normal and wether it was dangerous. I lowered it right away for fear that I would be literally eating it!

So it sounds like i will be one of the many who will spend to experiment to find an acceptable solution. Cal-Sci web site first stop...

I use a Cee Bailey in winter and have the Touring shield for summer. This year I installed a Laminar Lip, and it eliminated all buffeting and noise, and allows the shield to be run at a much lower setting and better attack angle. Before you give up on the shield, Try an inexpensive add-on like the Vario spoiler or Laminar Lip. They clean up the air-flow like adding a spoiler to a car. The air no longer rolls off the back edge of the shield. I even got consistently better fuel economy.

IMG_4223.jpg

I'm happy with the mammy yammy touring screen but maybe I just don't know any better. I did buy and mount a gasket as it didn't come with one (available at cee bailys). It does move around in the wind some, but that has never bothered me. I've gone over 130 (american, not canadian :) ) with it full up and the mounts hold up fine.

I use a Cee Bailey in winter and have the Touring shield for summer. This year I installed a Laminar Lip, and it eliminated all buffeting and noise, and allows the shield to be run at a much lower setting and better attack angle. Before you give up on the shield, Try an inexpensive add-on like the Vario spoiler or Laminar Lip. They clean up the air-flow like adding a spoiler to a car. The air no longer rolls off the back edge of the shield. I even got consistently better fuel economy.

IMG_4223.jpg

Thanks Tom. I'll give this a try in the hopes that I can make lemonade out this lemon. If that doesn't work then I think the Rifle windscreen will be the next purchase as I was already considering it and str8's review just convinced me.

Str8 do you ride with the screen fully extended at high speeds? If so do you get any "serious" screen movement? I'm curious because I just bought a EXO900 and would like to be able to go open faced on my tour around the Great Lakes this summer without chewing on bugs and road debris.

Sorry I just realized in rereading the review it was Big D not Str8.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Yamaha Touring shield but I put a 3/8 silicone washer under the lower bolt on each side (ala tuning block)to give it a little more slant back towards me. I can now hear my IPOD up to about 70mph, no buffeting and not much flexing either. Also, with the short screen I used to raise it about 2-3", with the tall I pretty much leave it in the down position all the time.

Thanks and I get that it won't be rock solid especially at full extension on highway speeds but this is my first ride with an adjustable screen and there were 2 results that made me unsure of the install:

- I was disapointed that there was NO difference in performance from the stock screen ( I just flushed $250 down the crapper).

- I wasn't sure if that kind of action was normal and wether it was dangerous. I lowered it right away for fear that I would be literally eating it!

So it sounds like i will be one of the many who will spend to experiment to find an acceptable solution. Cal-Sci web site first stop...
$250? CN? holy crap the exchange rate went sideways.

Check out the "For Sale" section before hauling off and spending money on a new screen. Someone is always selling a cal-sci or something because it didn't meet their needs.

I've never tried the larimar lip thing, but I might be tempted since TomInCA isn't the first person who likes it.

I just ordered a Cee Bailey's this morning. 3" taller and 2" wider than stock, standard contour. I have had excellent results with CB before. Actually the stock screen works pretty well for me, just could be a bit better. The 3" taller should get the buffeting and most of the noise above my helmet, but still go low enough so that I can get some cool air.

I had an ST1300 prior to the FJR, and I must say Honda did a better job with the windshield. I never had any reason to change it. It had a much greater range of movement, so I could put it high enough that I could be completely behind it, and in quiet, still air, if I wanted to. Most of the time I kept it all the way down, and I got plenty of cool air.