Yamaha Windshield Nuts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttlejockeyTJ

throttlejockeyTJ
Reaction score
My FJR came in a crate. There is no info as to which way you use the Yammy rubber nuts. I put the rubber flange on the inside. Put the first screw in and it poped right out. If the flange goes on the outside there is nothing to hold it till the nut compresses the rubber. I had two windshield fairings. Both had real plastic nuts. :( Thanks, TJ

Rubber grommets go behind the round nut so it kinda looks like a stove top hat with threads coming out the top. I don't know what the torque value is but on mine there is about 1/16" of exposed thread. Hope that helps.

By the way - In a crate? The dealer didn't set it up for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a reply. It is still confusing. 'Rubber gromets go behind the round nut". Yes they look like a Top hat. It is the nuts in relation to the support bar. If the rubber flange is inside the support then only the excess screw keeeps the rubber from pulling out with MC speed wind pressure. Frankly it looks inadequate as a design. Either way looks unsat, but one way has to be correct. I take it the brass part holding the windshield is topside of the support. I bought it out of state because locals wouldn't budge on MSRP, and discounted elsewhere. I have been working on it lubing the whole drive train. I put on man horns, Moko's, & wilbers shock etc. The windshield is one of the last items to make it road worthy. Thank you, TJ

The "top hat" goes in upside down, from the outside. When the screw is tightened, it compresses the rubber above the brass theads. the rubber expands outward creating a ridge that secures the "top hat", and thereby, the windshield.

It works fine, but can be a pain to get done. It's best to have two people - one holding the shield, and one placing and tightening the fasteners.

Good luck with your new bike!

Ryan

Yamaha has made their windscreens with rubber gromets in case of an accident...it will break away and not chop your head off. ;)

throttlejockeyt - where did you find you could purchase the FJR out of state? I recently did that with another bike, but wasn't aware anyone was doing it on the FJR. Bought mine from a dealer, unfortunately they wouldn't budge on the price either. I say, it's time to fight back! :)

I can take a couple of close up pictures of my windshield bolts if it'll help you. Let me know.

Ryan is correct. With the windshield off, facing the front of the bike, the rubber grommets with the embedded nut go in the hole nut first, flange (edge of the top hat) last. As you tighten the screw, the rubber expands inside and outside the hole tightening the whole attach point very securely even though there is some play in the windshield. The breakaway feature described above, as I understand it, is only valid with the Yamaha plastic screws installed. Because of the plastic screws and the expanding rubber, exact torque is not a big deal as you cannot overtighten the screw. Instead you will just strip out the screw head if you try to go too tight. But, if you replace the plastic screws with stainless steel, now you have to be at least a little careful on how tight you should go. Although with the rubber insert it is still not a big problem as there is a large margin of "cushion" that will keep you from cracking the plexiglass. I have tightened mine fairly snug with no adverse effects. It helps to push a little from the rear of the rubber grommet when you are installing the screw to help the screw engage the threads. Also, do not tighten up any of the screws until all the screws have been installed at least a few threads into each nut.

Thanks Guys! I knew the compressed rubber would have to do the holding. That rubber flange even eith the screw wouldn't be able to hold much. It would be something dangerous to screw up.

There were at least 3 other riders on the other forum that bought from Honda East in Ohio. If I had been aware of Sunnyside in January I might have been able to make a deal with them. TJ

The official term for this gadget is a wellnut. You will also find them on various parts of the fairing pieces that don't use the plastic rivets. Or at least that's what holds the optional footguards onto the lower fairing. IIRC, the front of the gastank is also held down with wellnuts.

Tip - never, ever use any type of threadlocker (Loctite) with a wellnut and metal screw. You won't get the screw back out - just ruin the wellnut. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:
How do you know, Bob?

:p

Sorry I missed ya at SW-FOG. I am majorly bummed right now. Going through severe fjr withdrawl. I had such grandiose fjr plans for this summer.....

Back on topic - there have been good explanations so far of the windshield nylon screws and wellnuts. I would only add that I HIGHLY recommend everyone get a few extra of the nylon windshield screws. They strip, and even shear apart very easily. Don't ask me how I know this. And while you are ordering those few spare nylon screws, be like your hero, SkooterG, and order 2-3 extra of EVERY type fastener on the fjr. By doing this, it will almost guarantee you will never lose them anymore, and of course, even if you, or your good buddy does lose, or break a fastener/bolt, you will be quite happy you have some spares at the ready.

Greg

How do you know, Bob?
Well everyone was bitching what a POS the FJR was (or at least that the assemblers were incompetant) because a fastener would come loose here and there, so I thought it would be a good thing to use Loctite on some of them. No, I didn't try to use it on the plastic rivets :) Those little brass nuts are only held in there with the rubber well, so when I tried to back them out after using the Loctite, all I succeeded in doing was to screw up the well. I replaced them with some SAE wellnuts/screws, but the one on the lower left side of the gastank is proprietary (has a wire loom molded in it), so that will need to be replaced (one day down the road) by a Genuine Yammy OEM rubber thingy.

It's a good thing I'm not a surgeon, since I also lost one of those stupid wire clamps that go around the rubber nipple that seals up the pipe coming out of the throttle body. Save the nipple though and it's just been sitting there on the pipe. I ordered an extra nipple (in case I lost one) and two of those silly little wire clamps, since they were nowhere to be found at Ace hardware or Autozone, etc. Guess what? After getting up the ambition to actually replace the wire clamp, I discovered that the little baggy holding the nipple and clamps decided to play Hide and Seek. It's out in the garage somewhere, probably hiding next to the elusive FJR1300 Owners Manual :dribble:

I was hoping to see you at the SW-FOG, but everything turned out ok. I was camped out next door and 110 of the Salazar family adopted me and fed me all kinds of Mexican food. They were having a big family reunion, which I busted. Told them if they would adapt me and continue to feed me, I would change my name to Salazar. Anyway, great people. Must be nice to have a big family like that. Lots of hugs and kisses going around. They told me that Granny was 85 years old and had produced 18 kids. Life is good. Besides, I met a guy just about as crazy as you - Al Fez. You probably know him, since he's from your area.

Maybe I'll catch up with you at the WFO. Look for the guy with the dirty bike and trailer...

be like your hero, SkooterG, and order 2-3 extra of EVERY type fastener on the fjr. By doing this, it will almost guarantee you will never lose them anymore,
Unless you can't FIND the spares and have to order more... then find the spares a week after you installed the new ones! :angry02:

Hasn't happened to me on the FJR yet, but has happened too many times on other projects. :dribble:

I am majorly bummed right now. Going through severe fjr withdrawl. I had such grandiose fjr plans for this summer.....
Hmmmm, that ain't sounding too good. Wadup with the repairs or has the adjuster totaled it? (Sorry if I'm asking a repeat question, but I've not seen you post about the status...)

Anyone have any of the part numbers for any of those PITA fittings? Like the plastic 1/4 turn release ones? :assasin:

So I understand the plastic bolt and rubber grommet will break away instead of chopping your head off concept but does any other motorcycle incorporate this?

Every other bike I've owned had steel bolts for the windscreen fasteners and no one seemed to be concerned about decapitation on those bikes.

It seems to me that if I was flying forward towards the windscreen, even if my throat was the first thing to contact the shield the arms that adjust the height of the screen would bend and break way before it would decapitate me.

This just seems to me to be another instance of lawyers dictating design by being overly cautious.

Any thoughts?

The well nuts for the shield are not metric, it follows the screws aren't either. They are 10-24 or 10-32, and as such any decent hardware store should be able to fix you up. And besides the breakaway function the nylon screws provide, they also are soft enough not to erode the the holes in the shield itself, which metal ones would do as the shield jiggled around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, I met a guy just about as crazy as you - Al Fez.  You probably know him, since he's from your area.
Maybe I'll catch up with you at the WFO.  Look for the guy with the dirty bike and trailer...
Ahhhh yes, that would be "El Fezzo", or the "The Fez'd One". He is very active locally, and rallymaster of Arizona's Twist N Shout 24 hour rally. Good dude.

Piccie time. El Fezzo:

5.jpg

Though he has not been on the other forums, he is on this one - Myles, myles, at speed, is his "handle", or something close to that. 81,000 miles on his 03 fjr - he rides the stink out of it, and does it very well I might add.

Did you run into my other amigo, Don Stanley? (Otherwise known as the burrito ballerina) He has a two-tone blue and silver 03 fjr. He was supposed to be my roomy. Another hell of a guy. He broke my Mexico cherry, by leading I and 2 others on a little trip down to Cabo San Lucas last Thanksgiving. Mui Bueno!

What a fine trip it was:

Baja233.jpg

Baja040.jpg

Baja255.jpg

Baja296.jpg

Maybe I'll catch up with you at the WFO. Look for the guy with the dirty bike and trailer...
Don't know if I will make WFO this year, as I have doubts my fractured wrist will be ready by then. :cry: As for you, I thought it was "Look for the guy who is a dirty old man with the faggoty-ass trailer". :bleh:

Hugs n Kisses,

Greg :jester: