Yellow Check Engine light turned and off then on and now off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
Enjoying a long ride yesterday I noticed the yellow check engine light on, temp was fine so I kept riding.
After about ten miles it turned off.
Then after another five miles, it turned on, after another five miles it turned off and has stayed off.

Any idea of why this might occur or how to look deeper into it?

This may be the first symptom of the MAP sensor tubing starting to plug up with oily goop. If in the next few months the bike becomes difficult to start, idles poorly and runs badly until hot, then that would be the problem. The check engine light is then on intermittently and can sometimes be corrected by restarting. The problem just gets worse. See other threads on MAP sensor.

Of course it maybe something else,... just my guess, since it happened twice to me.

As above, see what fault codes are set.
Is this a Gen II?
Do you have a Power Commander?

Code 14 will be set for the MAP sensor tubing as per @John d
31 or 32 can be related to fuelling issues with a Power Commander
1710788555331.png

See the following for Gen I and Gen II diagnostic codes.
(I had the 32 from time-to-time when I was using a PC3)

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/diagnostic-codes.9612/

I appreciate the heads-up! Is this the correct procedure to check the codes?

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/diagnostic-codes.9612/
What year is your bike? The link I posted (the same one you referenced) is for Gen I and Gen II bikes.
Did a number appear in the LCD display when the yellow light came on?
This includes the exact instructions for accessing the Gen II Diag function.
All of the Gen II codes (and Gen I codes) are in the linked thread.

From Gen II manual...

1710877536136.png
1710877593158.png

What year is your bike? The link I posted (the same one you referenced) is for Gen I and Gen II bikes.
Did a number appear in the LCD display when the yellow light came on?
This includes the exact instructions for accessing the Gen II Diag function.
All of the Gen II codes (and Gen I codes) are in the linked thread.

From Gen II manual...

View attachment 6675
View attachment 6676
My FJR is a 2007.... No Numbers appeared on the screen when the yellow light turned on. In this recent post, it states that the wiring harness needs to be discounted from the fuel pump

.. I am looking for clarity before I check for codes..

Do you have a Power Commander?

I think the only reason to disconnect the fuel pump is to prevent flooding if you choose to actuate the fuel injectors multiple times via the diagnostic menu. I don't think I have bothered with it, but it has been a long time since I used diagnostic mode (never anything to diagnose). Easy enough to remove the tank trim and the two front bolts. Loosen the rear through bolt and prop the tank up (I use a piece of 2 x 4). Easy to remove the connector. See diagram, below. #2 is the fuel pump coupler, #3 is the sender (fuel gauge).

1711142546275.png

If you haven't lifted the tank before, there is no drama. When you hook stuff up and lower the tank, push the tank forward before inserting the two front bolts. Insert and tighten before tightening the rear pivot bolt. Be careful with the tank trim!! A dot of silicone grease where the trim bits go through the rubber grommets helps a lot. Make sure to get the two tabs inserted into the trim before pushing the ends down. Finally, be careful to get the two Allen screws started straight - easy to cross thread.

I have a 2007. I went through all the diagnostic codes just last month.

If you do not disconnect the fuel pump connector, the fuel pump will run the entire time that you are running the diagnostic codes and the actuator codes. At best, this may drain your battery. At worst this may drain your battery and may flood the engine when you activate the the fuel injector actuator codes.

As RossKean said, above, lifting the tank and disconnecting the two connectors is no drama. It takes about 10 minutes if you have done it before; probably about 30 minutes if it is your first time and you take your time.

the fuel pump will run the entire time that you are running the diagnostic codes and the actuator codes
Thanks, I didn't know that. (I must have disconnected it when I used the Diag function in the past.)
(Shouldn't flood the engine since the injectors wouldn't be open.)