YES Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought Yammie had 2 year warranties. Local dealer said it was only a year. They are offering a 2 year YES warranty for my new to me 2016 ES for about $670. I've never had a YES before and was wondering if this was in the ball park or way out of line. Any info appreciated.

OE warranty is one year.
Contact D&H Cycle in Cullman AL. You should be able to pick up a 4 year YES from them for ~$400.

--G
Unless you're in Washington State or Florida (which fortunately the OP is not, but thought I'd mention this for other Washingtonians and Floridians).

I spoke to D&H a half-month or so ago as my warranty is expiring in a week or so, and it turns out WA State and Florida are the two states that do not allow for extended warranties to be issued to their residents from out-of-state merchants. Well, to be precise: They do allow it, but WA and FL make it so that there is no economic advantage for the out-of-state dealer to sell to us, and, in fact, it requires add'l licensing/hassle to do so. Extended automotive warranties are considered insurance policies by WA and FL, and as such the out-of-state dealer selling the warranty has to be licensed as such and strictly sell at the manufacturer's suggested retail, which is, according to the letter I've received from Yamaha:

One-year: $440.00

Two-year: $540.00

Three-year: $620.00

Four-year: $690.00

As such, there's no competitive advantage for them to sell to us in WA (or FL), as I believe all in-state dealers have the same pricing guidelines...if they don't, then there's not even a level playing field so the disadvantage to the out-of-state dealer is compounded.

Now that my in-mind budget of $400 for four years has suddenly gone from a four-year coverage to one-year, and I have no interest in dropping $700 for the same coverage, I'm going to forget it and take my chances. One of the reasons I went with the FJR was its famous reliability; looks like I'll be relying on that reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RC65" data-cid="1393202" data-time="1522619241"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="escapefjrtist" data-cid="1393197" data-time="1522613570"><p>OE warranty is one year.<br />

<br />

Contact <a href='https://dandhcycle.com/index.html'>D&H Cycle</a> in Cullman AL. You should be able to pick up a 4 year YES from them for ~$400.<br />

<br />

--G</p></blockquote>

Unless you're in Washington State or Florida (which fortunately the OP is not, but thought I'd mention this for other Washingtonians and Floridians). <br />

<br />

I spoke to D&H a half-month or so ago as my warranty is expiring in a week or so, and it turns out WA State and Florida are the two states that do not allow for extended warranties to be issued to their residents from out-of-state merchants. Well, to be precise: They do allow it, but WA and FL make it so that there is no economic advantage for the out-of-state dealer to sell to us, and, in fact, it requires add'l licensing/hassle to do so. Extended automotive warranties are considered insurance policies by WA and FL, and as such the out-of-state dealer selling the warranty has to be licensed as such and strictly sell at the manufacturer's suggested retail, which is, according to the letter I've received from Yamaha:<br />

<br />

One-year: $440.00<br />

Two-year: $540.00<br />

Three-year: $620.00<br />

Four-year: $690.00<br />

<br />

As such, there's no competitive advantage for them to sell to us in WA (or FL), as I believe all in-state dealers have the same pricing guidelines...if they don't, then there's not even a level playing field so the disadvantage to the out-of-state dealer is compounded.<br />

<br />

Now that my in-mind budget of $400 for four years has suddenly gone from a four-year coverage to one-year, and I have no interest in dropping $700 for the same coverage, I'm going to forget it and take my chances. One of the reasons I went with the FJR was its famous reliability; looks like I'll be relying on that reputation.</p></blockquote>

I did pony up the 400 for the 4 years. I guess I feel like it was an ok deal, because it was so cheap and repairs can be costly generally.

On the other hand, I also feel like I've thrown my money away because I really can't see needing any warranty work based on what I know about this bike and Yamaha generally. Oh well.

I bought it. I needed it. Saved me a buttload of money. But I’m a high mileage rider. I’ll get good use from it. If my demands on the bike were different, I might feel differently about yes.

I bought it, I needed it. Twice. Saved me at least 4 times what I paid for it. I have no luck with electronical things and I know there haven't been any problems to date with the ES, but if I had an ES bike I would have called D&H about 10 months ago.

...I did pony up the 400 for the 4 years. I guess I feel like it was an ok deal, because it was so cheap and repairs can be costly generally.
On the other hand, I also feel like I've thrown my money away because I really can't see needing any warranty work based on what I know about this bike and Yamaha generally. Oh well.
I would consider the YES warranty to be "repair insurance". It covers you for the (unexpected) major problem that probably won't occur. After all, any insurance policy is the manufacturer (or seller) betting that their product is going to be more reliable than you think it will be - they don't offer these packages to lose money.

How risk aversive are you? If you can afford to pay a major repair bill then you are (probably) better off not buying the coverage - on average, you will be further ahead. If a major problem means you can't afford to fix it, then buy the insurance (YES) plan.

For the most part, I don't buy extended warranties on appliances, cars or bikes. In the unlikely event that a major problem crops up AFTER the initial year, chances are that I can fix it myself for less than the cost of the warranty. (Might be different if I had to rely upon dealer labor.) On the other hand, I do put collision insurance on any newish vehicle - a catastrophic loss is possible. Replacement would be required and would be far more than I would like to spend. (So far, the insurance company is WAY ahead.)

Other than some electrical issues, there is NOTHING that an extended warranty would have covered on my bike. Anything repaired or replaced have been wear items.

Note: For an unknown bike (new model, new features like ES etc.) I would probably consider getting the YES or equivalent due to the unknown risk.

In Canada, the cost for the extended warranty is very high so it probably wouldn't be part of any deal I would make.

And the manufacturer's version is the only one to get unless you never leave the town you bought it in.

The private sales items often don't pay out well, many times don't stay in business for the life of your contract, and many dealerships (even locally) don't support it outside the selling dealerships.

IF you plan to buy an extended warranty go with one from the maker.

Another reason to buy the YES extended warranty is that it is fully transferable. A 3 year old bike with another 2 years of factory warranty is worth a lot more to a potential second hand buyer than one without one.

Another reason to buy the YES extended warranty is that it is fully transferable. A 3 year old bike with another 2 years of factory warranty is worth a lot more to a potential second hand buyer than one without one.
True enough!

It could be especially important for a used bike purchase when the care and maintenance history by the previous owner is not known.

As you say, it might be enough to sway the purchaser in the event of two essentially similar options. I still consider YES to be mostly an insurance policy.

Dang, the bike is 3 months out of the factory warranty and D&H can't put the YES on the bike. Still, I'm not sure almost $700 for two years is worth the money from the local dealer.

.....bike is 3 months out of the factory warranty and D&H can't put the YES on the bike. Still, I'm not sure almost $700 for two years is worth the money from the local dealer.
That's not a YES factory warranty then. It's a third-party one and I wouldn't touch it....ESPECIALLY if the dealer represents that is.

.....bike is 3 months out of the factory warranty and D&H can't put the YES on the bike. Still, I'm not sure almost $700 for two years is worth the money from the local dealer.
That's not a YES factory warranty then. It's a third-party one and I wouldn't touch it....ESPECIALLY if the dealer represents that is.
Are you talking about the D&H or the $700 local dealer offer? The local dealer paperwork has "Yamaha" and "YES" on the top of it, as well as "Genuine Yamaha Protection".

Are you talking about the D&H or the $700 local dealer offer? The local dealer paperwork has "Yamaha" and "YES" on the top of it, as well as "Genuine Yamaha Protection".
This is going to be a NEPRT rabbit hole.......your local dealer.

If D&H specifically told you it's 3 months beyond warranty it's probably because they asked you the VIN? If so, they ran it and reported back to you straight from the Mother Yamaha database. Assuming so, maybe your local dealer didn't run the VIN when they showed you the paperwork. When/if they do...they'll 'll see the same issue. Your local dealer and D&H are getting YES from the same source and subject to the same terms. It's just that D&H doesn't mark it up nearly as much.

If D&H won't sell you one, I'd stop there personally. Window missed. Move on.

<karnak decoder ring section prognosticating the next question>

If your local dealer actually runs the VIN and finds 3 months like D&H did,what are the chances they say to themselves, "Oh crap. We told him we could get it for $700. We'll just try and switch to the third-party warranty."? Hopefully they wouldn't do that, but we've seen it happen before. It's also one of the reasons we encourage people to read the New Owners Read This section, #26 and consider YES when they purchase their bikes.

</karnak decoder ring section prognosticating the next question>

This is going to be a NEPRT rabbit hole.......your local dealer.

If D&H specifically told you it's 3 months beyond warranty it's probably because they asked you the VIN? If so, they ran it and reported back to you straight from the Mother Yamaha database. Assuming so, maybe your local dealer didn't run the VIN when they showed you the paperwork. When/if they do...they'll 'll see the same issue. Your local dealer and D&H are getting YES from the same source and subject to the same terms. It's just that D&H doesn't mark it up nearly as much.

If D&H won't sell you one, I'd stop there personally. Window missed. Move on.

<karnak decoder ring section prognosticating the next question>

If your local dealer actually runs the VIN and finds 3 months like D&H did,what are the chances they say to themselves, "Oh crap. We told him we could get it for $700. We'll just try and switch to the third-party warranty."? Hopefully they wouldn't do that, but we've seen it happen before. It's also one of the reasons we encourage people to read the New Owners Read This section, #26 and consider YES when they purchase their bikes.

</karnak decoder ring section prognosticating the next question>
That's what I was guessing. But I did give the local dealer the VIN on the phone. But even if they say they can write the paper, I don't think its worth it for only 2 years at that price.

Thanks for all the info and help.