Your OTHER First Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't find a pic of my first bike, but it was a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i. had it for three months before moving on to this:

IM000313.jpg

A 2001 Honda CBR929RR. Loved this bike, but all my riding buddies switched to ATV's so I thought I should too. BAD MISTAKE!!! So then, I traded the ATV for this:

PorousPics044.jpg

2006 Suzuki SV1000S. Put 9000 miles on her in a little over year and half, but just couldn't feel comfortable for more than 2-3 hours or 400 miles. And since I'm the size of a gorilla, I needed yet another, bigger bike. So now, we are here:

BikePics001.jpg

2006 FJR1300A. I WISH I would have bought this when I got the SV. Didn't know what I was missing out on!

Man I'm jealous. I wish I had a picture of me on my first bike. Maybe my mom does somewhere. It was a Suzuki RM75. I LOVED that bike. Road it into trees, other bikes, buildings, you name it. I'd bang the tire back into alignment with the handlebars, jump on the kickstarter, and zoom off again. It seemed indestructable. Then there was the time I was racing two buddies, one of them slowed down, I didn't. The next thing I knew I was lying on the ground and couldn't get up. I looked down and I could see the bone in my knee and the blood pumping in my leg. Sixty stiches and a few months later I back on that yellow chunk of fun.

My first road bike was a Honda 250 enduro. I think it was called the 250XL or something like that. Not nearly as much fun as the little zook.

I wish I had a picture of me on my first bike. Maybe my mom does somewhere. It was a Suzuki RM75. I LOVED that bike. <snippage> My first road bike was a Honda 250 enduro. I think it was called the 250XL or something like that. Not nearly as much fun as the little zook.
C'mon, get looking! If I could find a picture of my first bike circa 1963, (see post # 9) you should be able to find a picture of bikes "like"you used to ride.

I had one of these as a first bike:

6sug1af.jpg

Graduated to one of these:

6pti728.jpg

Ended up with an Elsinore Mt-250 before taking a break from riding for about 20 years or so:

6ykhw9g.jpg

Honda's are cool!!!!

Other than having a minibike when I was a kid and riding a GoldWing trike for a year, this was my first bike as it was when I first got it.

134RidinValk.jpg

I turned it into this, and had put 97,000 miles on it when a deer took me out and totaled it.

134Valk_-_Helen_Lake.jpg

First motorized two wheel vehicle, some kind of metalic purple mini-bike with a 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh engine on it that my younger brother and I bought to tear up my father's lawn.

Followed by a 50cc Moto Morini street bike (not a moped) beater that I picked up somewhere for 50 bucks. We took that down to the local power lines and thrashed it every day for a couple of months.

Followed by a 100cc Bronco Apache I bought from a friend. That was actually a pretty capable little 2-stroke trail bike.

Got a Ducati 350cc basketcase from a friend. Rebuilt the engine and then we'd take it to the local mall parking lot on Sundays and run 1/4 mile drags on it with an open pipe. In Massachusetts the stores were closed on Sundays back then (late 60's early 70's) and nobody cared about the kids with the go carts and motorcycles making a racket. Boy have times changed...

First new bike: 1975 Suzuki TM125 This was the bike that started the "out of the box" motorcross revolution.

But my first registered street bike was this:

1975_GT550_blk-side_500.jpg

A 1975 Suzuki GT550. What a fantastic engine. Handled like crap but that 2 smoker was fast. 3 cylinders smooth. Oil injection. And it had a disk brake!! I rode that bike for a good long time until I bought myself a BMW K100RT and gave the Zook to my Brother in Law. He trashed it somehow. Wish I still had the ole' girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaitsdad, I spent a lot of time on a '67 305 Superhawk with straight pipes with "snuff or nots" option for quietness. What a blast back then !