Zumo 550...XM Radio capability

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wa2fst

Reaction score
I've been researching a GPS unit for combined motorcycle and car use, and like the idea of the XM radio capability of the Zumo 550. Has anyone on the forum tried this combination? If so, could you pls offer any comments...good or bad on the combination?

My research so far shows that the Zumo 550 with the XM antenna accessory appears to be quite pricey...and for less than that cost I could get a NUVI 550 (new model...also waterproof) and a separate XM or Sirius tuner. Aside from the obvious bulk issues with mounting and powering two separate devices...what else should I be considering?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

The 2730 has XM capability as well, and at $179.99 with the XM antenna it's a lot more affordable than the Zumo. Just tossin options on the table B)

Clickie

The Zumo 550 with XM antenna is a very expensive way to get XM because what they call the XM "antenna" is really the XM radio and the Zumo only has the front end software controls built in. Kind of misleading if you ask me.

I have the Zumo 550 and if I felt inclined to add satellite radio to my bike would get a separate unit (which would be Sirius not XM). As long as you are ok with multiple mounts and figuring a way to pump both the GPS prompts and radio music into your helmet than there is no reason why that wouldn't be a suitable solution.

I run the Zumo with XM radio and love it. It was worth the expense to me because my FJR is my primary transportation.

It has proven to be a very reliable. I use it multiple times daily. The mount for the Zumo is fantastic and easy to install and use. I installed the XM antennae in my glove box on a "custom sponge mount" cut to fit in the glove box. It protects it from vibration and makes the install easy.

I recommend it.

(which would be Sirius not XM).
I was talking with a co-worker who has a Sirius setup and got rid of his XM setup because he said Sirius ended up buying XM and it is now offered through them but at a more expensive price with less content. Anyone else hear this???

(which would be Sirius not XM).
I was talking with a co-worker who has a Sirius setup and got rid of his XM setup because he said Sirius ended up buying XM and it is now offered through them but at a more expensive price with less content. Anyone else hear this???
It's true. The newer Sirius radios offer "XM Select" or the "Best of XM" or something like that. It costs about $4 more per month that the basic Sirius only service. Not sure about the exact XM channel content. I'm sure their website would tell you.

I have the XM added to my Zumo and love it to. I added the traffic/weather and find this handy too.

Price wise you can get a Zumo and install a seperate XM or Sirus unit for less money...but then you would have to buy a Autocom or Starcom type unit to prioritize your output...meaning the Zumo automaticly mutes the radio for you to hear the voice prompts. To do this with two seperate units would require spending MORE for the autocom , starcom, or behaer?units to do this for you. (They go for $250+ I believe)

So really, if you do not already have one of those and just have the Zumo, you'll spend less in the long run, as there is no point in having a voice prompt GPS you can't hear when listening to music.

Granted if you wish to add your phone to the zumo you will need a bluetooth headset or one of those units, which will again start raising the cost, but if you just want to hear your GPS and listen to music, a good set of earphones would be needed anyway, so the price for the intergrated XM reciever for the Zumo ends up a good deal.

KM

Thanks everyone for all your help on this.

I don't have a Zumo or satellite radio yet...but was doing the research in preparation for buying one. Now that I've heard what everyone says about this...I can make a more educated decision.

One last question on this...Are the radio controls fairly easy to operate...intuitive? I know that with the Zumo they will be touch screen...but is navigating through all the choices easy?

I have the XM added to my Zumo and love it to. I added the traffic/weather and find this handy too.
Price wise you can get a Zumo and install a seperate XM or Sirus unit for less money...but then you would have to buy a Autocom or Starcom type unit to prioritize your output...meaning the Zumo automaticly mutes the radio for you to hear the voice prompts. To do this with two seperate units would require spending MORE for the autocom , starcom, or behaer?units to do this for you. (They go for $250+ I believe)

So really, if you do not already have one of those and just have the Zumo, you'll spend less in the long run, as there is no point in having a voice prompt GPS you can't hear when listening to music.

Granted if you wish to add your phone to the zumo you will need a bluetooth headset or one of those units, which will again start raising the cost, but if you just want to hear your GPS and listen to music, a good set of earphones would be needed anyway, so the price for the intergrated XM reciever for the Zumo ends up a good deal.

KM
KM makes a very good point here. Additonally, how much rain (and how heavy) do you ride in? Having XM through my Zumo allows me to not have to worry about yet another electronic component that will fail in the wet. I've rallied through the remnants of two hurricanes in the last two years. Zumo kept working and I kept listening to news, weather and tunes.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth OR

One last question on this...Are the radio controls fairly easy to operate...intuitive? I know that with the Zumo they will be touch screen...but is navigating through all the choices easy?
The XM controls on the Zumo are very easy to use. You can search by genre, or you can enter a station directly by number. Once you choose a station, you can add it to your preset list. From the main XM music screen, you can move up or down through your presets very easily. There's a prominent mute button (which I use when I hit traffic or the twisties, or whenever I need to fully concentrate on the ride).

Overall, it's very intuitive.

There's also a great forum dedicated solely to the Zumo: ZumoForums. There's lot of info on installing and using the unit - things like which SD cards work and don't work, hints on using MapSource, BlueTooth setup, POI tips, etc. A great resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the Zumo 550 and XM combo. Wish I would have bought it sooner. Sounds as good as my ipod nano with etymotic er6 headphones. Yeah its pricey but you can't beat having everything in one unit. Controls are easy to use, even with winter gloves. Been through some downpours and still works fine. Comes with car and moto mount - super easy to install, clean look.

I have the Zumo and XM radio combo as well and couldn't be happier. It has worked flawlessly and has been on my bike since new, so for the last 11,000 miles or so.

I stuffed the XM antenna inside the fairing behind the glovebox on the left side, it's held in place basically with a bunch of foam.

I am not familiar with the 2730 but one other feature of the zumo is the SD card port. I have a 4GB card with nearly a thousand songs that I can also play.

You might want to check with Garmin to make sure they still support the 2730 before you jump in and buy one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a hold out on the xm reciever for the Zumo, got one 3 weeks ago and love it. I purchased a refurbed 2730 for $170.00 sold the gps for $100.00 kept the xm antenna and am a happy camper. Lots better reception than the roady , roady xt , or sportscaster (antenna designed for a car) The antenna reciever unit rocks i had to turn the volume down on the Zumo..............

I have the Zumo 550 with the XM, I love it, I have Nav traffic and Nav Weather, I like everything in one unit, and with the Autocom it mutes everything when giving direction or warning of slow traffic ahead, and incoming calls, I ride year round.