ZX14 vs FJR comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice comparison, but you're wrong about the ZX14's luggage capacity; lots of people have fitted hard bags to them. Here's TwistedThrottle's catalog. SW-MoTech makes top and side racks for Givi or other bags. The only way in which it's lacking is it doesn't come with anything stock.
I've got a friend who has tried to make his ZX14 into a sport touring bike. He added soft bags, lowered the rider pegs and added heli-risers. But in the end, it is still vastly different from the FJR as a tourer. For one, the cowling is just too small to shield much wind. And the windshield does almost nothing.

Sadly, I guess we just need to own several bikes. Time to get a track bike. Then a dual sport. Then...

I've got a friend who has tried to make his ZX14 into a sport touring bike. He added soft bags, lowered the rider pegs and added heli-risers. But in the end, it is still vastly different from the FJR as a tourer. For one, the cowling is just too small to shield much wind. And the windshield does almost nothing.
Sadly, I guess we just need to own several bikes. Time to get a track bike. Then a dual sport. Then...
The windshield would do much more if he didn't add the risers and he kept his head low. It's a sportbike, meant to be ridden as such; my point was you can still carry lots of luggage with that bike and there are a number of ZX14 riders that do just that.

Hmmm. good point. Maybe the FJR should score lower for low end torque. The ZX14 redline is 12K so, when power starts to build at 3K I consider that low end.
or the FJR raised since "low end" usually means idle to x and, i suspect that the fjr has it over the zx at off idle torque. anyone have real numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have a 2008 ZX-14 along with a 2007 FJR. The smooth engine, tranny, clutch etc of the ZX-14 is amazing. The power is also incredible. I must admit that I keep wondering how the C14 would stack up. Seems like the C14 guys are going through various issues with brakes, kpass and whatnot. Maybe a 2010 C14?

AreaP has a new exhuast for the C14 that when combined with filter, PCV and no flies yeilds 160hp to the tire. That is almost ZX-14 power in a sport-touring package.

I too have a 2008 ZX-14 along with a 2007 FJR. The smooth engine, tranny, clutch etc of the ZX-14 is amazing. The power is also incredible. I must admit that I keep wondering how the C14 would stack up. Seems like the C14 guys are going through various issues with brakes, kpass and whatnot. Maybe a 2010 C14?
AreaP has a new exhuast for the C14 that when combined with filter, PCV and no flies yeilds 160hp to the tire. That is almost ZX-14 power in a sport-touring package.
I've searched and read several reviews of ZX14 vs the C14 and all say that they are two very different bikes. The C14 is not nearly the beast as is the ZX14. At any rate, I love the FJR, have it well farkled and most of all my marriage cannot stand another bike in the near future ;) .

The looks of the ZX-14 have grown on me while I dislike the looks of the C-14. I think the FJR and a ZX-14 are a great combo. Even better if the ABS version of the latter was available in the US.

I took a ZX out on a short test-ride about 3 weeks ago. The day was very windy. I did not test its power. But, I could tell the beast beneath me had “real” power. Two characteristics of the bike that I noticed and didn’t particularly care for was how the wind was pushing me around (sideways movement). And the, what seemed like, limited turning axis of the bars—as in when stopped and then feathering it forward or backpeddling into a hard left or right. To me, the FJR handled rough side winds much better than the ZX and was easier to manage when turning as I previously mentioned.

I like the ZX. But, even if they add an ABS to it for 2010. I know now that I don't want one.

I took a ZX out on a short test-ride about 3 weeks ago. The day was very windy. I did not test its power. But, I could tell the beast beneath me had “real” power. Two characteristics of the bike that I noticed and didn’t particularly care for was how the wind was pushing me around (sideways movement). And the, what seemed like, limited turning axis of the bars—as in when stopped and then feathering it forward or backpeddling into a hard left or right. To me, the FJR handled rough side winds much better than the ZX and was easier to manage when turning as I previously mentioned.
I like the ZX. But, even if they add an ABS to it for 2010. I know now that I don't want one.
I guess the extra 150 pounds of the FJR keeps the wind from blowing it a little better than the ZX. It also keeps it from accelerating as well also. Another reason to have both (if I keep saying this enough times, eventually my wife will accept it.)

I put 27,000 miles on this in 15 months.

Touring is what you make it - this bike travels very well.

5-6-07left.jpg

Blakebird, how many tickets in 27000 miles?
none.

I've gotten pretty good at picking the time and place these days. Last time I got picked off, was returning to Las Vegas (where I lived at the time) from Portland after doing an SS1K on my '99 Blackbird (hence my username).

Good thing he got me coming back at a relaxed pace - the day before I was bustin' a pretty good move up NV 95 at 3am.

IMO....the ZX-14 is the bike that Honda coulda/shoulda built as the next iteration of the XX.

The ZX-14 is world's faster, twice as smooth (makes the XX feel like a cammy small block Chevy), and has all the hp cred KHI is known for.

Honda's been too conservative for far too long... they need a bike like the 14.

The ZX-14 is one of the finest bikes on the road, with some interesting design features.

That said....I have 21,000 on my 10 month old FJR and find it to be in the top 3 of some 40-odd bikes in my past.

Range, comfort, sporting ability... cheap to maintain.

When I was shopping for a bike I looked and rode the C-14 and the FJR. I liked the looks of FJR better and the service was much easier ( look at changing a spark plug for instance) So I ruled the C-14 out. As far as the ZX-14 it can be made into a decent day or few day touring bike with added luggage. The guy that runs Pashinit rides a 'Busa and has done as much and they are close in size. I guess it just depends what you want a Super Sport Tourer or a Sport Tourer or a GW type touring bike. All make some compromises somewhere. If I had lots of money and space I would have several. However I am happy with just the FJR

Spent much time on a free loan 08 ZX14. Clearly this bike has the greatest street legal factory engine ever produced. The power it has, well it's more like a dimmer switch for a light, turn it and it's there, it actually pulls at the skin of your face. Amazing powerplant.

Appearance wise, lets just say the looks are,,,,,,polarizing!

Steve

..... Appearance wise, lets just say the looks are,,,,,,polarizing!Steve
I have to agree. "Different" also come to mind. There certainly is no mistaking a ZX-14 coming at you versus other models and/or brands.

From what I can gather, certain design elements of a vehicle can be patented. That puts a huge roadblock in what designers can do or not do.... especially for motorcycles.

Spent much time on a free loan 08 ZX14. Clearly this bike has the greatest street legal factory engine ever produced. The power it has, well it's more like a dimmer switch for a light, turn it and it's there, it actually pulls at the skin of your face. Amazing powerplant. Steve

I look much younger when I'm powering through the twisties............ :clapping:

I've been lusting over a ZX-14 for no good reason....and like what this gentleman to add to its touring capabilities.

ADV rider linky

Ditching the bags and/or the laminar lip seems easy enough when he wants to lean one way or the other.

Where's my lottery winnings?!!

great comparo Texan. I'm jealous

But what happened to the sans windshield on the feej?

Did just under 1400mi on the ZX-14 on a three day ride last week. Most all roads were backroads with as many curves thrown in as possible. Even did some miles on dirt and gravel backroads. Road mainly in West Virginia, Virginia and a bit of Penn. Got an affordable room at Yokums at Seneca Rocks and left the tent at home this time, however, there is room for it on the ZX-14 when I choose to take it.

My ZX-14 is stock - stock bar position, stock shield, etc. I truthfully felt as good - maybe even better - versus the same rides on the FJR. The smaller shield puts more air on your chest - which I like - and as result takes considerable weight from your elbows and wrists when at speed. My knees and ankles felt great.

For me, the FJR has a slight edge in weather protection in heavy rain, colder weather and ABS, however, the ZX-14 does just fine otherwise. Of course the ZX-14 has things covered with power, weight, brakes, etc.

100.JPG

101.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG