The results from my experiment are in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starcruiser(aka downn2)

Reaction score
This morning, I set up an experiment in a totally control environment to duplicate the shifting of both the A and the AE.......What was involved was sitting on a parked bike an mimicking shifting of both models for a 10 second period....The results I found to be astonishing...

I was able to perform 23 shifts manually alternating between up shifting and down shifting on the A model vs 55 shifts i was able to do digitally (hitting the up shift button, then the downshift button on the AE........

The results indicate a proficient rider can shift the AE over twice as fast than the A.

This makes the argument that a manual clutch gives a rider more control a totally invalid & mute one.....as being able to shift in milliseconds which is as fast as your brain can send a signal to your finger to push to button obviously gives you much more control that your feet and hands could ever give you as they are not only lagging behind your brain’s commands to the extent your losing control of the bike having to move your left foot and left hand all around in an unconscious effort to satisfy your brain’s commands...That's probably why Camera crashed in a 15MPH turn on his A.

Then it becomes obviously clear and the fact become unarguable that Digital shifting is not only a much faster way and efficient way to shift, the tune of 125%, but ultimately much, much, safer too....

Don't believe me, try it for yourself.. Although in an uncontrolled environment there might be slight deviations as to the results. ie; drinking several Beers would result in lower performance times for the A, but could increase times for the AE….I will probably experiment with THE BEER factor this weekend and have the results next week.

Not sure I'd ever find a reason to shift 55 times in 10 seconds, I'll keep my "A". :D

Tom

This makes the argument that a manual clutch gives a rider more control a totally invalid & mute one.....as
Really? I don't see how an on/off switch enables "more control" than an infinitly adjustable lever?

Faster, sure but "more control" ?

Man, that IS impressive. I'm sold! Frank, you pile of slow ass shit! I tried it, as you suggested, and you're right! The horn went off much more quickly with the button as opposed to the lever. Where's that dealer............

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes the argument that a manual clutch gives a rider more control a totally invalid & mute one.....as
Really? I don't see how an on/off switch enables "more control" than an infinitly adjustable lever?

Faster, sure but "more control" ?
The YCCS isn't really an on/off switch -- and you can control the clutch engagement speed with the throttle -- less throttle = slower clutch engagement and vice versa. I do like the YCCS for a tourer, but there would be drawbacks on the track (and I don't have any intentions of taking the FJR to a trackday).

My experience (and it's just something to get used to), is that downshifting (i.e. 5th to 1st) is slower than on a manual old-fashioned clutch. That is -- generally when coming to a stop from 5th, i used to just wait till i'm about 15MPH, then manually downshift to first -- and am able to do that very rapidly. On the AE -- I can't do it as fast, but just have to start downshifting earler.

Not sure I'd ever find a reason to shift 55 times in 10 seconds, I'll keep my "A". :D Tom
I agree, but you might want to find a real good reason to try to make a quick down shift going into a slow speed 15 mph turn without having to disengage your left foot from being anchored against the crankcase in order to get to the shifter, not to mention having to move your left hand up and off the grip to some degree (the hand responsible for steering on a left hand turn which is the direction of the turn Camera's was in) in order to grab the clutch.

Just a thought...

This morning, I set up an experiment in a totally control environment to duplicate the shifting of both the A and the AE.......What was involved was sitting on a parked bike an mimicking shifting of both models for a 10 second period....The results I found to be astonishing...
I was able to perform 23 shifts manually alternating between up shifting and down shifting on the A model vs 55 shifts i was able to do digitally (hitting the up shift button, then the downshift button on the AE........

The results indicate a proficient rider can shift the AE over twice as fast than the A.

This makes the argument that a manual clutch gives a rider more control a totally invalid & mute one.....as being able to shift in milliseconds which is as fast as your brain can send a signal to your finger to push to button obviously gives you much more control that your feet and hands could ever give you as they are not only lagging behind your brain’s commands to the extent your losing control of the bike having to move your left foot and left hand all around in an unconscious effort to satisfy your brain’s commands...That's probably why Camera crashed in a 15MPH turn on his A.

Then it becomes obviously clear and the fact become unarguable that Digital shifting is not only a much faster way and efficient way to shift, the tune of 125%, but ultimately much, much, safer too....

Don't believe me, try it for yourself.. Although in an uncontrolled environment there might be slight deviations as to the results. ie; drinking several Beers would result in lower performance times for the A, but could increase times for the AE….I will probably experiment with THE BEER factor this weekend and have the results next week.
Starcruise, the true test would have been to do the shifting while picking your nose !! which is possible using the foot lever - Now those results would be useful !! B)

Starcruise, the true test would have been to do the shifting while picking your nose !! which is possible using the foot lever - Now those results would be useful !! B)
Is picking your nose while riding something all you “A” owners have in common with each other or what? No wonder most of you have flip up helmets....I've always wondered about that.

You may be able to shift through the gears faster on a AE model but, if you don't let the motor builds R's between shifts you are still not going anywhere. Sooo what would be the point? :rolleyes:

You may be able to shift through the gears faster on a AE model but, if you don't let the motor builds R's between shifts you are still not going anywhere. Sooo what would be the point? :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly....

Even though you may never take the opportunity to ride aggresively, riding with more "control" means to control the delivery of engine power not necessarly where the bike is going. No doubt the AE is far more suited for leisure and comfort than the A, but if you really like the style of sport riding you cant do it with out a clutch.

23 shifts vs 55? were you just sitting there seeing how fast you could squeeze the clutch and move your foot, or what?

I think that there is probably no question that the AE can shift faster, better etc. But that does not equate to better control. I think control has too many variables. The AE probably improves control for some riders, and probably takes some away for some riders.

I don't dispute the AE's benefits, but I have to wonder how well it works in those very low speed manuevers that require the "friction" method. Any possibility of the clutch becoming fully disengaged could result in an unexpected lack of control and falling over. I'm not saying I know if that will happen or not, just a concern.

Please understand I'm not knocking it. From what I have read, it's an excellent system and should provide a great riding experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can control the clutch engagement speed with the throttle -- less throttle = slower clutch engagement
So instead of controlling both throttle and clutch, you control the throttle and the computer controls the clutch? How is this "more control" for the rider?

To the AE Commander,

"Nuts!"

- The A Commander.

not to mention having to move your left hand up and off the grip to some degree (the hand responsible for steering on a left hand turn which is the direction of the turn Camera's was in) in order to grab the clutch.

Just a thought...

Do you do this?

god i hope not!

Why argue with stupidity ??? :blink:

"New Experiment"

Try this at home, see if you can even squeeze your clutch 23x in 10 seconds, where do you even practice squeezing something that fast and err... never mind.

Even though you may never take the opportunity to ride aggresively, riding with more "control" means to control the delivery of engine power not necessarly where the bike is going. No doubt the AE is far more suited for leisure and comfort than the A, but if you really like the style of sport riding you cant do it with out a clutch.
On the more serious side, that's all I do is Sport riding. I do NO, I repeat NO TOURING as I have a real nice car if I want to go somewhere.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the AE shifting aspect for high speed sport riding.....the quickness of being able to downshift so fast, thus use the bike for braking enables me to keep both feet locked tightly up against the crackcase on both sides has enabled me to get more weight over the inside, thus I can enter a turn much more agreesively than before. Not to mention exiting them.......Maybe it's just me, but I could only imagine that in a very short period of time you will see this type of Digital shift on ALL RACE BIKES as we now see in most F-1 race cars.....Anybody else with an AE out there agree or disagree with me?

23 shifts vs 55? were you just sitting there seeing how fast you could squeeze the clutch and move your foot, or what?
Yea, that's what I did..........the point is the lenght of time for each shift to occure...Yea, you gotta wait to the RPMs to climb, but when it's time to change gears, I've already shifted and watching the RPM climb while most are disengaging the clutch level.....Sorta like the different between you having to turn on the light in a room by lighting a candle and me having to turn on the light by flipping a light switch...Yea, we both have to walk over there to do it, but I'm already back in my chair reading a book while your fooling with the matches..and we all know you don't want to be playing with matches while going into a 100 mph turn....

Status
Not open for further replies.