The Overnight - Out of the Darkness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The Overnight fundraising event for the AFSP this past weekend was a huge success in large part to the many volunteers that helped make the event go smoothly, kept the walkers safe and sound, and put in many hours to ensure everything went off without a hitch. A few of us met for coffee before heading up to the event… I am so thankful to every rider who signed up to be a part of the event… you each were a special part of it and I will always be grateful to you for your time, energy, spirit, and love…

Peets-before-the-ride-L.jpg

This was my first event participating on the Moto Safety Crew… I was impressed with the way they covered all the bases – snack/rest stops, midnight snack, trail sweeps cleaning up behind everyone, vans to pick up folks who could go no further, even moto cops aiding along the way. There aren’t a lot of photos… we brought our cameras but mostly kept them tucked away as the focus was elsewhere and we took our responsibilities to heart...

Tonis-brother-L.jpg

The bicyclists theme was angels and they sported wings on their backs as they rode back and forth alongside the walkers… I think it was a very appropriate theme for them…

9-the-true-angels-of-the-night-XL.jpg

Support vans at the ready to transport weary walkers…

4-Pick-up-vans-XL.jpg

Our crew getting ready to rock and roll… our Team Lead flew in from the Boston the night before and pulled together the merry band of moto misfits into a lean, mean, moto safety machine!

1-Getting-ready-to-own-the-XL.jpg

The start of the walk at about 7:30 p.m… more than 2,000 walkers descended upon the marina out of Fort Mason where the event began and would end…

2-2100-walkers-XL.jpg

There were people that knew about the event and would honk and cheer as they drove by… others would ask what was going on and when we would tell them, they were clearly touched by what people were supporting… some you could tell were impacted by it maybe a little more personally as they would nod their heads knowingly, perhaps having an experience in their lives with the issues… but they always said thank you to anyone involved…

There were teams wearing t-shirts with faces of those they had lost to suicide… or they carried pictures or banners with names on them… families and friends banding together in remembrance for a beloved spirit in their lives… strength and resolve in the faces that no matter what, they would finish this walk… some wept and received hugs and support from many around them… Holly and I were team partners, riding up and down the street, stopping at intersections to assist the walkers getting across safely, checking to see how everyone was doing, hooting and honking and hollering our support as they walked the route… we did get a very rare opportunity to manage a photo opp at the front gate of the Giants’ stadium at 3 a.m.!

Bikes-at-Giants-Stadium-L.jpg

The finish line and two riders’ reflective gear shining in the camera’s flash…

13-last-walker-in-XL.jpg

But I was not prepared for the wallop that hit me as I rounded the corner from the parking lot at the end of the event and was greeted with over 2,000 luminaria bags… each lit with a candle inside it… each representing a person or people who struggle with depression and mental disease and those who struggled and lost… the enormity of it hit me like a brick wall and I couldn’t help but shed tears for those souls and the people that love them…

10-finish-line-XL.jpg

The sun began to rise as the closing ceremonies started at 5 a.m… walkers huddled in space blankets, cuddling in close to one another, holding on for life almost, as speakers shared their personal stories and thanks were given to all who participated in every way imaginable…

14-Team-Mish-XL.jpg

I made my way back to the bike and slowly started to get ready for the ride home… I was exhausted but knew that I had to stay focused for the journey home… along 101 near Candlestick, the sun started to rise and the term “Out of the Darkness” became even more clear… an event to raise hopes that others won’t go down that dark path… that there are others like them who have fought and stayed to live another day, that they will see there is hope, and hopefully have the strength to reach out for help because there are a ton of people out in this world that care…

Sunrise-L.jpg

FIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that Tyler.

You are right, I know a lot of people who have been touched by suicide either of a friend or a family member - often 'out of the blue'.

Al.

Very cool Tyler, I supported my work crew RelayForLife team this last Sunday.

Nothing big deal, I was up at 4;30 & went and help pack stuff out of the stadium that my team had brought in for a few hours as I knew they would be dead tired.

Nice to support isn't it.

I don't have too much more to say that Tyler and others haven't already said. Except perhaps that there is truly no such thing in all the world as only giving of oneself. For inevitably, if we're paying any little attention, we find that we in turn receive in any act, even as we give.

This event was a tailor (Tyler? :rolleyes: ) made opportunity to give in a way that had deep meaning for me. I thought of Andrew (OrangevaleFJR) and others I knew who left this life by so sad a choice. And I met people through this event whose experiences resonated with my own. My challenge at times, through the shared stories and connections there, was to find that personal balance point in which to best bend compassion to the service of those around me, as we all continue to heal.

But it really was a lot of fun, and I wish others here could have been at this event too. I only took a couple of quick pictures, because when the best picture taking opportunities came up, I was way too busy to take advantage of them.

Below is our fearless leader of the Moto Safety team - Lori from Boston

Lorissa.jpg

And in the background - our own Sacramento Mike

SacMike.jpg