Planning a ride up hwy 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
So wifey and I are planning a ride up the coast via hwy 1. Its been on my bucket list for awhile. We're planning for end of this month or beginning of Nov.

The tentative plan is Phoenix to Huntington Beach the first day (hoping to hook up with kaitsdad again while Im there :) ). Then second and third day up the coast to San Francisco, then 4th and 5th day the boring but faster way home via I5 to I10 back to Phoenix. How does this sound? Reasonable? Im really trying to get an extra day to spend in San Fran...that would be 1 or 2 days by itself I know. But we may need to do that on a separate trip another time. Hows the weather this time of year? Foggy I would guess in the mornings?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome as well as where to stay. Also, if any other board members are nearby it'd be fun to get together for a beer or something!

edit: Looks like we'll be going Oct 23rd - the 27th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did hwy 1/101 from San Diego to Seattle. The trip you have planned is very doable, and will be a casual pace. 1 between Malibu and Moterey is a very nice stretch of road. A must stop is the coast redwoods at Big Sur.

You will have well over a hour of traffic suckyness leaving Huntington Beach and heading North to Santa Monica where the good riding starts. Unless you have a good reason to stay in Huntington Beach, you may want to consider staying nearer to Santa Monica for three reasons: The Santa Monica pier would be a wonderful place to spend the evening, you will be able to slip out of LA unnoticed and hit the good riding almost right away, and you will be coming in on the 10 FWY and would have to head South to get to Huntington Beach where Santa Monica is the terminus of the 10 FWY.

Either way it is a good time of year to do the trip. Should be a great one!

Just crossed this off my bucket list also, but doing it again I'd follow more of what Road_Runner is saying...

I went from San Diego to San Fran. Enjoyed it but, lot's of traffic down towards San Diego (or Huntington Beach).

So you'll learn "filtering" but it still makes for a lot of stop and go.

If was to do it again, my southern point would be as RR suggests, just North of LA. This is where the real beauty begins, and you

avoid a ton of congestion.

Yes, it will be cold and foggy. The fog limits the morning riding, assuming you want to see anything around you. And

absolutely be prepared to ride in a much colder climate. If you don't have the gear it may very well cause you to cut

your journey short.

This will give you an idea of the fog:

541.JPG

And this is looking just over the edge to the right of the above pic:

542.JPG

Now looking forward from same spot:

545.JPG

And farther down the road... you can see I was traveling very light. Did not have the gear for a temp drop of 20 or 30 degrees.

549.JPG

One place I stopped for BrkFast, right on US1, very expensive but too beautiful to pass up. The Waiter told me some days the fog doesn't burn off till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So my thought now is one needs to plan more time for this route. It's not exactly an up at dawn and ride all day kind of route...

Good luck with it, I enjoyed the hell out of it none the less!!

On your way back to Phoenix, avoid downtown Los Angeles by using I-210 from it's start at I-5 (just south of Santa Clarita) all the way to the I-10 junction in Redlands. While the 210 eastbound does get it's share of heavy traffic on weekday afternoons, it is almost always better than the 10. The 210 also has carpool lanes continuously from Pasadena to the 215, which makes for a faster, safer ride.

If you're heart is into visiting San Francisco, so be it, but IMHO, the best part of Hwy 1 (except save for vistas in the Big Sur area) is between Fort Bragg and Leggett. Uber smooth pavement, no trucks and lots of twisties. :yahoo: Not so much on the vistas, lots of trees and greenery, but great riding. If you can't make it up there on this trip, suggest you pencil it in for the next time in the area.

On your way back to Phoenix, avoid downtown Los Angeles by using I-210 from it's start at I-5 (just south of Santa Clarita) all the way to the I-10 junction in Redlands. While the 210 eastbound does get it's share of heavy traffic on weekday afternoons, it is almost always better than the 10. The 210 also has carpool lanes continuously from Pasadena to the 215, which makes for a faster, safer ride.
This looks like good advice.

Thanks everyone so far for the tips. We'll make sure and bring some warm clothing. I suspected there would be fog, as Ive done the 101 fwy in WA and OR where it gets alot of fog. We arent super set on staying at Huntington Beach, but if it works out that Hal (kaitsdad) is free, he lives close to there so thats where we'll stay. If it turns out he wont be free we'll consider Santa Monica for sure.

Cambria is a great place to stay. Look to visit Nitt Witt Ridge and Hearst Castle if you have time. Hotel suggestions:

Cambria Palms - budget and moto friendly. Eat at Linn's Restaurant just a short walk from motel.

Little Sur Inn - pricier but directly across the street from the ocean. Walk to Moonstone Grill for dinner and enjoy the sunset.

Victoria's Last Resort - top end but very nice, romantic. I believe they will make dinner for you. Wifey might like this one! ;)

From Cambria, come up the PCH (stop off and see the elephant seals along the way) and stay in Carmel or Monterey (Victoria Inn in Monterey just a couple of blocks from the main drag - also consider visiting the Monterey Aquarium) for the evening. It's less that 100 miles from Cambria to Monterey but you will most likely want to take all day as the views a breathtaking, lots of photo stops, and look for the waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer State Park, about 10 miles south of Big Sur. Lunch at the Big Sur River Inn, sit out back in the big Adirondack chairs and dip your feet in the running stream out back. They also have a hotel there too - pricey but very nice. Monterey isn't too much farther from Big Sur so I'd recommend visiting Big Sur but end your day in Monterey.

Coming through the Bay Area, there are a tone of fun roads in the mountains - 9, 35, 84, Alice's Restaurant (a well known moto haven), Stage Rd., Pescadero Rd., and tons more! Hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz isn't nearly as scenic as the more southern part that you will have just traversed so if you went inland to hit some of those roads, you wouldn't be missing a whole lot of the coast.

You might ping Mark/WheatonFJR for suggestions on where to stay in SF as he was recently there with his family. Immediately north of SF, just as soon as you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take 2nd exit which comes up very quickly, just past the vista point. Turn left and cross under the roadway, then go up the hill on Conzelman Road. Very shortly you will see a number of turnouts on your left which give you great photo ops. From there you can backtrack to Highway 101, or you can fart around the area called the Marin Headlands. Nice riding, a lighthouse, old battery, beaches, a marine mammal rescue place. From there, you can visit Muir Woods or consider riding to the top of Mt. Tamalpais - great road and awesome view (as long as it's not foggy!).

Next place of note is Point Reyes Station. There's a cafe, a bakery, a market, and if you time it right, motorcyclists to visit with. Also the option to visit Pt. Reyes National Seashore. Miles of secluded roads, forests, a gigantic empty beach, and a lighthouse. Fun place to visit, but it will impede your forward motion as the only way back out is through Pt. Reyes Station. (My personal 2cents is to forego the lighthouse. It's a crapshoot if you will even be able to see the lighthouse because of the fog and the road out is fraught with high winds, rough road, and cow pies all over the place... very treacherous.)

The Bodega Coast Inn is where we stayed for the Rolling Illinois Cluster Feck in May. Very nice place, ocean view rooms, etc. There is a link to restaurants on the site.

Next motorcycle spot of note is the store at Stewarts Point. There is a road coming in from the right called Skaggs Springs Road. This is a well known local motorcycle road - loads of fun... first part is fairly goaty but then smooths out for some of the best sweepers around (note: speed limit is ridiculously low and is generally well patrolled). It will take you all the way to Hwy 101, though, so don't take it unless that's where you want to go. You can just pay homage as you pass. Or you can take Stewarts Point/Skaggs Spring inland, and then hit 128 out of Cloverdale back out to the coast.

On a normal person pace, you're probably ready to sleep by the time you get to Mendocino. It's a cool hippie/yuppie/new age town, but mucho spendy. If you are on a budget you can head just a bit further north and sleep in Fort Bragg.

If you go further north, definitely ride along Avenue of the Giants! Once up in Fortuna, must do roads include 299, 36, 3, and 96. Eddie/FWFE lives in Eureka which is nearby and he's a wealth of info on places to see/stay and some really fun backroads in the area.

Okay... that's a few bits for you to digest... there is enough to keep you busy around these parts for weeks!! B)

Not a southern Cal guy, so I'll just assume they're all correct. And I always assume Tyler's correct, so I pretty much agree with everything so far. Except azitlies, when he made the following statement:

Yes, it will be cold and foggy. The fog limits the morning riding, assuming you want to see anything around you."
I'd agree with the rest of his post, but he followed the above with four photos that completely contradicted what he said. The fog doesn't block the view. The fog is the view. The fog adds texture and character and mystery to the scene, as you can plainly see in his pictures. I love riding in the fog (except for that impenetrable low-lying central valley morning fog we call "tule" fog. I'm sure you've heard about the 45-car accidents we get in the winter once in a while).

But coastal fog, when you peek through it for the kinds of sights az's post shows, makes for beautiful riding. Just have your layers, and a good scarf around your neck. By the way, you're coming at the time of year when the coastal weather is about at its best for the year, surprisingly. You might miss out and not see any fog at all. That would be a shame.

Damn Tyler...thats a helluva post lol. Very informative. Thank you!

Great assurance SacMike about being a good time of year. My luck usually doesnt go that way lol.

Damn Tyler...thats a helluva post lol. Very informative. Thank you!

Great assurance SacMike about being a good time of year. My luck usually doesnt go that way lol.
Copied and pasted a lot of the info from other posts as this is a frequent destination for many! ;)

And I agree with SacMike... I was out at the coast yesterday and it was simply spectacular! :yahoo:

Do yourself a favor and skip I-5. Head straight East over the Sonora Pass to SR395. The pass will still be open and the fall colors are spectacular. The ride down the 395 is also very senic all the way to the Ridgecrest turn off. I would also suggest a rest break at Convict Lake. It is just a couple miles off the 395 and is very senic in the fall. This route will add under 200 miles to your ride home but would be worth it at 3X that. Just my two cents.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Central+Fwy&daddr=38.34385,-119.54618+to:I-10+E&hl=en&ll=35.424868,-117.268066&spn=9.269773,21.643066&sll=37.592472,-119.360962&sspn=2.254597,5.410767&geocode=FUhSQAIdagy0-A%3BFaoUSQIdvN7f-CkVROMuqHOXgDEdXKaxZ_BvRQ%3BFUKV_gEdQI5R-Q&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&t=m&z=6

I would avoid going along the stretch at Malibu. Many, many traffic lights and tons of traffic. Instead take 405 to 101 to 23 and head over the coast range and back onto 1 although the 1 only really gets relatively traffic free once you're west of Santa Barbara. Have fun.

The most fun ride I've done in SoCal is 33 north out of Ojai. After the fun part, it gets pretty desolate before it "T's" into 166, which heads west and takes you to 101 just north of Santa Maria. What a cool road and great views, plus it misses a lot of congested beachfront driving down that way. I don't really remember what 166 was like, but it's pretty twisty on the map as it gets closer to the coast. What do some of you southern good ol' boys think about that diversion for Newworkguy?

OK...update. We'll be getting together with Hal, so staying at Huntington Beach our first night. I think for the rest of my itinerary, Im looking at this:

2nd night in Morro Bay.

3rd night in Half Moon Bay just outside of San Fran on the coast.

4th night in Bakersfield.

I picked Morro Bay based on the size of the area, and the reviews of a small family owned hotel there The Sundown Inn, and at $55/night, it cant be beat!

The only flaw I can see in this itinerary is day 4 will have us going from Half Moon Bay, over the Golden Gate, and through the San Rafeal/Richmond/Berkely/Oakland area. Blech. I could avoid it all by going from Half Moon Bay across 280/80 and across to north Oakland, but I really, really want to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. We probably wont have much time to see anything else of significance.

What say you all of this idea?

OK...update. We'll be getting together with Hal, so staying at Huntington Beach our first night. I think for the rest of my itinerary, Im looking at this:

2nd night in Morro Bay.

3rd night in Half Moon Bay just outside of San Fran on the coast.

4th night in Bakersfield.

I picked Morro Bay based on the size of the area, and the reviews of a small family owned hotel there The Sundown Inn, and at $55/night, it cant be beat!

The only flaw I can see in this itinerary is day 4 will have us going from Half Moon Bay, over the Golden Gate, and through the San Rafeal/Richmond/Berkely/Oakland area. Blech. I could avoid it all by going from Half Moon Bay across 280/80 and across to north Oakland, but I really, really want to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. We probably wont have much time to see anything else of significance.

What say you all of this idea?
If you absolutely have to ride the GGB, but have no reason to ride through San Rafael, Richmond, Berkeley, etc, here's what you should do:

From HMB take 92 east to 280 north, take the fwy to SF, up 19th ave and across the park to the bridge. At the northern end, get off at Alexander Ave, turn left and go under the freeway and up the hill to the left. Stop at any of the scenic overlooks on Conzelman Rd. Take peechars. Then turn right around, go back across the bridge south, back across the city, 280 south to 92 east. Cross the San Mateo Bridge. 880 north to 238 to 580 east and GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE.

If you persist on riding over the Richmond Bridge and then taking 80 down through Berkeley, through the Maze (bridge interchange) life will suck bigtime. Skip it, retrace your steps, and be happy.

Jerry who lives in the Bay Area.