Who's dropped their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
I read on another thread about the "inevitable" dropping of the FJR. At a stop and doing slow speed turn arounds I feel precarious on my FJR with my 29 inch inseam. However I've never dropped it as I'm super careful. But I won't be shocked if a foot slips and down I go. I would like to hear from owners of how and why they dropped their bike and what was the resultant damage. There is so much tupperware I think it could be expensive. The previous owner of my bike dropped it without side bags. Bent the left mirror in about an inch or so and did minor scraping on the left side panels, and a dent on the muffler. How do the side bags fair in a drop? Also how effective are frame sliders in a drop from a stop?

Best wishes, Bill

Guilty.

3rd day on the bike.

I went to the Otis Cafe. They have some parking on a incline and as I was turning the bike around to park there (on the incline), my foot slipped in the leaves and the bike went down very s l o w l y.

Picked it up and it started up right away. I survived with a couple minor scratches and VERY hurt pride.

My last drop was a classic!

Parking lot at the IBA international meet. Stuffing bike cover

into fuel cell cover. A full fuel cell makes for a top- heavy bike... Lesson learned.

Actually I needed to get the drop out of the way BEFORE

the IBA ride in PA next summer.

Be especially careful with side stand placement.

FJRs are known to take asphalt and/or dirt naps thanks to the relatively upright stance and side stand geometry. Mine's raised a touch thanks to a Penske shock but I still always give a little tug backwards when parked. ;)

--G

Do yourself and the bike a favor. Get some frame sliders. If you want, there are other, more protective options. Do a little Google searching on this forum and you will see that there are crash guards that mount in front of the bags, there are at least two different crash guards for the fairing and multiple brands of frame sliders. Our '07 has been dropped twice without the benefit of this protection. Now that I have installed the sliders and guards, Dad seems determined not to drop it again.

I managed a "slow drop" within the first few weeks of ownership. I stalled it starting off, doing a right turn, my feet were down fast, but it was beyond the point of return, and I sort of just ... set it down on the cement. Thanks to reading this forum, I had sliders on the bike before my first ride, and only the slider was scuffed up a bit. No damage to mirrors, side cases ... nothing. I don't even remember pulling the bike back up ... I was so freaked out, I think I just snatched it back up on the stand. I have read posts here that were horrific about guys watching it fall over at the gas pumps because the side stand was not fully extended ... or forgotten about. One poor soul dropped his one way, then picking it up dropped it over on the other side ... maybe I should say he was pretty brave for posting that story on the forum, but I still felt pretty sorry for the guy. For what its worth, tirelessly pay attention to a few things ... full forward placement of the side stand on a solid surface, (I always have the bike in gear and the slack taken out of the drive train by rolling forward only), always be cognizant of gravel or pot holes when stopping, and those uneven slopes at the gas pumps. All common sense stuff, but reading a reminder now and then can't hurt.

Dropped in a slow speed parking lot turn the second day I owned it. Damage: scratched/gouged left mirror mount (right where the mirror pivots) bent the mirror mount bracket located inside the cowling, several scratches/gouges on bottom half of left saddlebag. small abrasion of left OES frame slider. Dropped it on the right side a couple of months later while taking it off the center stand: broke right mirror as it went through garage drywall, scratched windshields at same time.

Mirrors aren't cheap. The bracket can be straightened without too much work. 3 foot 2 x 4, a couple of bolts and some washers to fasten the 2 x 4 where the mirror mounts and a little bit muscle to bend the bracket back. Remount mirror and check alignment, readust with 2 x 4 until satisfied.

Oh .......... My ........... fukin .... gawd!!

You dropped this hunk of fukin shit platform? Fuk man.

A first. You should call yer insuranceman. and then file a claim with the Gumment as this fuker is unsafe at any speed.

Then call Zilla as he's a cop and might care enough to warrant a full on investigation.

Or ... Don't give a fuk

Be especially careful with side stand placement.

FJRs are known to take asphalt and/or dirt naps thanks to the relatively upright stance and side stand geometry. Mine's raised a touch thanks to a Penske shock but I still always give a little tug backwards when parked. ;)

--G
So true, I've had 3 bikes fall toward mine, 2 hitting it, parked downhill on sidestand. Bike moves forward and falls.

BMW LT's in each case. I ALWAYS park in first gear and recommended it to all riders. Also I carry a sidestand plate on string to place under sidestand in soft turf.

Bill

Penis.....Bikes fall over when those who shouldn't own them do..

Shit happens, then you join a cycle gang to prove you lack a????

Come on gang ya know da answer..

PENIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Escapeftrist mentioned, watch out on the side stand, she can be very special if you aren't watching this good, I caught myself just flopping it out and good thing I kept checking it, else I'd dropped her at 0 mph.

Yet I did drop her, I had her just like 16 hours or so. I wanted to prevent from parking on a gravel strip, so I wanted to jump a 4 inch side walk to the house I needed to be in. I felt I was giving to much throttle so off I went and stalled, the front on the sidewalk, the rear... Not so much, my 34" inseam weren't enough, I lost balance and down she went........

Apart from a few scuffs on the right saddle bag and my pride all went well, yet the PO had installed the sliders from Motorcycle Larry, that was my saving grace......

My instructor back when told me, if ya haven't dropped ya bike.... Ya haven't ridden a bike..... So far I went down 3 time at less than 5 mph each time....

But.................These pos fall over a disproportionate amount.. or maybe the owners are fukin dumb? either way. Way to much noise generated by a non issue really.

Fukin lack of a warning sticker is to blame here.

Look who's talking? You can't even walk a straight line after 7pm..... :dribble:

Told this story to another forum member recently, Have to Admitt that mine was a serious lapse of judgement and operator error. Had my 08 for about 2 months with little saddle time due to wet weather the last 2 months. Well I'd spent the whole day with family pending the out come of my fathers surgery (heart valve replacement. All went well so I headed home to take a relaxing sunset ride. This is where a serious lapse judgement came in, being that I work nights (dont play well with normal day folk) I had been awake for 30+ hours, the smart man would have stayed home and taken a nap. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I opted for the ride. I had her up on the center stand in my drive way, when I went to roll her off my right foot slipped out and there she went. At 5'6' it doesnt take much to get her out of center balance. I fought her all the way down and managed to put her down with out a thud and alot of "Shit,Shit,Shit,Fuck,Fuck,Fuck. No Broken Parts just some scratches on the mirrror, turn sig and hard bag. Had to stand there in my drive way for 15 minutes till a nieghbor came by and helped me pick her up. Now like I said a serious lapse of judgement. Instead of parking her I started her up, she ran fine, so I jumped on her and headed to the local Starbucks for a dose of espresso. As I was turning into the parking lot i was having a hard time finding first, lost all forward momentum up the steep drive way incline and down she weht to the right Again alot of Shit,Shit,Shit,Fuck,Fuck,Fuck but no broken parts....I did get my espresso for free however.