Impromtu Tech day 10/12/13 King George, VA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Well it looks like a couple of us will be doing some wrenching a week from today in my garage. Just throwing it out there if anyone else in the area wants to come by and work or watch that is fine. I can't offer accomodations to anyone and plan on it just being Saturday as I have plans Sunday. Just thought I would throw it out there. This started out to be just Jay and I as Jay needed a place to change his fork seals and I have routine stuff to do. Then someone else from the area wants to start to learn about doing his own maintenance, so I invited him to come down. I have tools, a FSM and a Carbtune, so If anyone needs, or wants to learn how to do a TBS(regular or completely unauthorized) we can do that. I do not have a tire changer, however there is a local shop I use that charges $20 per tire if you bring the wheel to them. If anyone is interested in doing that I will provide transport. The only caveat is that they close at noon, so you would have to be here early enough to get the wheel off and get it up there before 11 A.M. There is a Yamaha shop not too far away, as well as auto supply stores, so supplies can be procurred if needed.

If you are interested in coming PM me and I will give address and directions.

Well hell, I'd typed a post here, thought I'd posted it & it it's not here. Bob, Jay was at my house Saturday. We discussed this. If I come up, I'll be staying@ his place.

Sweet! It sounds like it's official! TECH DAY!!! [cheers]

also, thanks Intech for hosting and doing this for us!

I intend to make it up for this meet. I have a heat troller that I'd also like to install. I did the first one... which broke & a hacksaw blade will be required to take the knob located on my dash panel off in order to put the new one on. I'm assuming that I can do this one, also.

I intend to make it up for this meet. I have a heat troller that I'd also like to install. I did the first one... which broke & a hacksaw blade will be required to take the knob located on my dash panel off in order to put the new one on. I'm assuming that I can do this one, also.
What is a heat troller? [looks like i need to visit google now]

Edit:

Ok, went and saw it was for heated gear. I've always wanted to ride in the cold, but have not been able to look up for a good solution for me. I need something that is easy to put on and take off so I can ride longer. Maybe I'll discuss this with you guys on Saturday. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be up on Saturday morning. If I leave here @ 8, I'm assuming that I'll be there a little after 10. Is that a good time?

I have an oxy/acetylene torch. No worries!

Edit:

Ok, went and saw it was for heated gear. I've always wanted to ride in the cold, but have not been able to look up for a good solution for me. I need something that is easy to put on and take off so I can ride longer. Maybe I'll discuss this with you guys on Saturday. =)
Yes, for heated gear. I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner. That thing will cook you! There are other options that are a little cheaper... such as Tourmaster Synergy gear. A heated liner is sooooo cozy!

Edit:

Both Heidi and I have the bikes wired for heated gear. Mine is for my wife. You can check that out along with the Gerbings gear just for an idea. So far the heated grips and proper gear has been enough for me.

No torch as the knob is mounted in plastic. I think just a hacksaw blade... not even the body of the saw, will be needed.

I do have heated grips =)

My current problems:

1. Wind

2. Cold

Solution is simple: get warm gear. The trick is, which jacket and which pant. I'll take a look at that gear you have. =)

I do have heated grips =) My current problems:

1. Wind

2. Cold

Solution is simple: get warm gear. The trick is, which jacket and which pant. I'll take a look at that gear you have. =)
Consider a taller and wider windshield for colder weather too. I will be putting my VStream back on for the winter this weekend as well.

No torch as the knob is mounted in plastic. I think just a hacksaw blade... not even the body of the saw, will be needed.
I have Dremel, did you want me to bring that along?
That will not be necessary. I have all the tools required except the ones Jay is bringing for his fork seals. After this weekend I will probably get those too!

I've talked this over with Jay. We both think that just a lil ol' plain hacksaw blade will work fine.

Thank you for offer, though.

verranth, you may also consider hand guards... Vstrom or some other type. The V-strom ones are fairly popular. Some think they look like ass. I happen to think they look fine... & there is a whole lotta' function over form. I have them. Not only are they good for wind... but also rain (as long as you're moving) I often wear my regular gloves & not rain gloves. Hands don't get wet.

verranth, you may also consider hand guards... Vstrom or some other type. The V-strom ones are fairly popular. Some think they look like ass. I happen to think they look fine... & there is a whole lotta' function over form. I have them. Not only are they good for wind... but also rain (as long as you're moving) I often wear my regular gloves & not rain gloves. Hands don't get wet.
I'm looking forward to looking at your setup as well . Thanks =)

Here is the list of work that is propsed to be done:

TBS(both regular and unauthorized)

Fork seal change

Fork oil change

Oil and filter change

Chassis cleaning and lubrication

Coolant flush

Brake/Clutch bleed

Winshield change

Hand guard install

Heatroller change out

Whatever else we have time to do and show.

I am going to be starting tomorrow as I want to do a valve clearance check. I will try to take pictures. I say try, because I always have intentions to do it, but then get engrossed in the job and forget about it!

I also haven't heard from anyone that they want to do tires. that is a good thing, because the King George Fall Festival is Saturday, so I don't even know if my tire shop will be open. If anyone plans on tires let me know and I will find out if they are open.