Highway 20, North Cascades road update - take 'er easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
So I headed over the North Cascades highway on Friday the 25th. Left work in Seattle at noon. Was riding the pass in the afternoon. The road is in pretty bad shape. The night before, I believe it iced up and DOT sanded and de-iced. The shaded areas were particularily dodgy - still had moisture on them to go with the sand. Nice.
weirdsmiley.gif
Even the cars were taking it slow.

So- if you ride the route - be careful. I have some pics to post later of a flipped SUV that was in the a bad state from the conditions. I'm at work now and can't post pics.

And yes... I did ask myself why I was on this road so late in the season.
fool.gif
Well... the PNW has not seen any freakin' weather in 3 weeks since a huge high pressure has been parked over us - so I said yah, the roads will be fine. Plus, I got new heated gear as well. So-yah, out I went!
punk.gif

Scott

Thanks for the road update, I was going to ride out to Winthrop on 20 this past Sunday but due to rain and high wind decided not to. we rode over on Chinook Pass the weekend before and it was sunny and warm.

Here are some pics.

Not sure when this happened. But I pulled over and ran over hoping no-one was hurt. Thank god the vehicle was empty. Probably happened the night before or early am.

IMG_2146-L.jpg

IMG_2147-L.jpg

Road crud. Made the road slick for sure.

IMG_2148-L.jpg

It's that time of the year...sucks!

Looks like we have one more day of decent weather and then off to the PNWet...

--G

Thanks for the report, looks like West of I-5 and south will be the riding areas until late spring for me
smile.png

Really gotta take care picking a route over the passes this time of year. www.wsdot.gov is your friend, specially on Stevens, White and Snoqualmie Passes where you can find temps for the prior 24 hours and a forecast. The North Crashcades Hwy no weather data is available.