*Update - dates set* 2015 SE Ohio Ramble possible dates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
Someone brought up the question of a Ramble in 2015. I am willing to help with limited organizing to make this happen so here is what I've found.

The local college has graduation the first weekend of May, when we went last year so we need to pick from the dates in the poll. May 10th is Mother's Day, plan and vote accordingly. Note: Memorial Day is the Monday after the third weekend so prices and traffic might be more than we want to deal with also. If we get 10+ rooms reserved, we will probably get a discounted rate of about $87/night (+tax).

I know many routes already exist and many have participated in this unofficial event in the past, but there are always new members who may be interested and with Wayne's help, hopefully we can re-use last year's website.

Post your questions, comments and vote for your choice(s). Hope to see many in SE Ohio soon!

Dates are set for April 30 - May 3 in Mineral Wells, WV.

Here is the new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen,

May 10th is mother's day, which has created a problem in the past for some folks. Just something to take into consideration.

Edited due to the effects of my meds.

Allen, May 10th is mother's day, which in the past has created a problem in the past for some folks. Just something to take into consideration.
Thanks, Joe! We will see how the votes go. But at least now others will know what that weekend also contains.

I will most likely not be able to participate this year, other than possibly driving down in the car, for the parking lot antics on Saturday. So I won't participate in the poll. It is good to see that someone is picking up the ball on trying to make a 2015 Ramble happen.

My vote is 1-3 May. Missing Mother's Dayweekssweek to have an chanceld jeopardize FODS & EOM for me.
May 1-3 won't work because of the graduation. Reservations would need to be done within the next couple of weeks to have any chance and rooms are much more expensive!

I get it, it won't work for the group. That's fine - as Spock put it, "the needs of the many..."

I can still host the page and any gps files for download.

My vote is 1-3 May. Missing Mother's Day weekend will jeopardize FODS & EOM for me.
May 1-3 won't work because of the graduation. Reservations would need to be done within the next couple of weeks to have any chance and rooms are much more expensive!

I'm pretty sure that last year, or maybe the year before was also graduation weekend. And I don't remember anyone complaining about the room rate. I know that there were a couple of new hotels going up last year, east of 77.

15th thru the 17th is qually's at the track. I went to the Gran Prix last year which will be on the 9th so it's pick your poison for this Indy Car freak.

What can a local person do to assist with your Marietta visit?
Check with local hotels to see what availability and room prices are really like that first weekend in May. That seems to be the best choice for our group while the other dates are compromises.

It doesn't have to be in Marietta. Theirs lots of accommodations available in just to the North in Cambridge. Then theirs Zanesville or even Wheeling, Morgantown or Charleston WV. All are within the riding area.

Meh, doesn't matter to me. I'll be there. In fact, now that I think about it, I'd prefer it later in the month. Last year coming home from Toronto north it was 2C. I was okay, but Jim still clacks when he walks.

It doesn't have to be in Marietta. Theirs lots of accommodations available in just to the North in Cambridge. Then theirs Zanesville or even Wheeling, Morgantown or Charleston WV. All are within the riding area.
Not to mention Caldwell or Athens...both previous Ramble HQ's.

Athens is home to Ohio Univ. If they don't have anything going on May 1 wknd, there should be tons of rooms and good rates there.

Kinda cool right on the river also, we would be in the thick of things there (route wise) also.

Just .02 cents about location - The routes are typically split into stuff east and west of I-77. Prime location would be one along I-77 that provides quick access to loops on the east and west side of I-77. Marietta, Caldwell, Cambridge, and even Parkersburg, WV fall in this zone.

Athens could work, but it makes an east loop a bit of a stretch; Athens is 47 miles from Marietta; you're basically banking 100 miles of the east loop just getting to and from I-77.

Just food for thought...

Just .02 cents about location - The routes are typically split into stuff east and west of I-77. Prime location would be one along I-77 that provides quick access to loops on the east and west side of I-77. Marietta, Caldwell, Cambridge, and even Parkersburg, WV fall in this zone.
Athens could work, but it makes an east loop a bit of a stretch; Athens is 47 miles from Marietta; you're basically banking 100 miles of the east loop just getting to and from I-77.

Just food for thought...
Thanks, Wayne. This is why I'm planning on staying in Marietta unless someone comes up with a city, hotel and decent rate in another city nearby. Minimal work needs to be done to make this little shin dig happen. Updating a bunch of routes is not in my plans.
no.gif