Throttlemeister removal / OEM bar end bushing reinstall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasgif

Reaction score
HI all,

I purchased my '05 used and it came with a set of the heavy throttlemeisters installed. I want to remove the throttlemeisters and change back to plain heavy bar end weights. I've gotten the throttlemeisters out no problem but I'm having problems reinstalling the OEM bar weight bushings / dampers (part # 4XV-23434-00-00). I've got them hammered part way in - but the going is slow and I'm worried I'm mushrooming the thin metal sleeve and making it harder on myself.

Anyone reinstalled those bushings and have any tips?!

Thanks.

Taking mine out would have been a PITA without the ability to pull it using the tool supplied by TM. It's basically a pressure fit, so I don't know how one would reinstall that part without having issues.

Seriously, to avoid damage, I'd probably go with some kind of aftermarket ends that come with an anchor. Those are usually secured by a rubber bushing that squished into place when pressure is applied.

I concur with HotRodZilla; not worth the effort of putting those things back in. I damn near ruined my right bar tube and throttle assembly trying to remove the pressure fitting and after all the trouble I went through my Throttlemeister has never worked as advertised; truly more headaches than it's worth IMO. I get more use out of the damn thing as a vibration dampner.

You need to use a socket that just fits inside the end of the bar(~20 mm od) and use it to drive the bushing in, it helps if the hole is clean and the bushing is lightly sanded to remove rust/grit. I had the drill out a bushing in the past when the puller pulled the inside of the bushing out, used a 20 mm drill bit.

having the same issue - thanks for the replies... I'm going to work on this a bit more, to clean out the hole a bit more to get the old ones in...

I concur with HotRodZilla; not worth the effort of putting those things back in. I damn near ruined my right bar tube and throttle assembly trying to remove the pressure fitting and after all the trouble I went through my Throttlemeister has never worked as advertised; truly more headaches than it's worth IMO. I get more use out of the damn thing as a vibration dampner.
My TM works fine as long as the road is level, though I too see them to be more of a vibe damper. Another use for them is as a grip length extender; sometimes I slide my hands half way off the grips for a wider grip just to vary the position slightly on longer rides so their 2" length comes in handy.

Decided to dredge this back up again...

I finally got a chance to machine a custom drive/insertion tool for the OEM sleeves this past weekend. Even with a good port-a-power (hydraulic cylinder) pushing I couldn't get the OEM sleeves to push in past flush with the end of the bars on either side.

Can someone take a picture of a stock setup with the bar-ends removed so I can visually compare. Thanks a ton!

I think I have read that perhaps removing some product from the outside of the bushing may be necessary...... sand it down until it fits back in there....

I had Vibranator bar ends on an earlier FJR and when I sold the bike I removed them and re-installed the OEM plugs. After many attempts to get them in I lightly sanded the outer surface of the plugs, put them in the freezer over night, and then sprayed WD40 on the inner surface of the bars. I sued a rubber mallet and socket to drive them back in. It worked and hopefully they stayed in place for the next owner.

I have used these Vibranator bar ends on both GenII & III bikes and believe they are effective is reducing the buzz common to the FJR and most similar 4 cylinder bikes.