September RTE - Caffé Rel, Franklin, NC?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eflyguy

Reaction score
Anyone interested?

I'm looking at ~250 mile run from ATL-Tellico (brief gas stop)-Cherohala-Joyce Kilmer-Deals Gap. Break there for an hour to accommodate folks who want to run the Dragon, then 28 past Fontana to Franklin, which is about another hour. Some may choose to ride ahead to the dam (20 minutes further down the road), then join up when the rest catch up to head to Franklin. From there, you're on your own, but I'm probably going to take the slow road to Highlands, stopping at a couple of waterfalls, and spend the night there. Some mighty good eating in Highlands, also. (Are you starting to understand - I live to eat?)
punk.gif

I think hitting 575 near Town Center (Kennesaw) around 6am will put us in Franklin around 2-3. For folks from other parts, I'd calculate when we'd be in Tellico & Deals Gap to meet up, or you could simply find your own way to Franklin for lunch.

If you don't know, this place is one of the best restaurants on the planet. I'm not kidding. And it's attached to a gas station - you have to go into their store to use a bathroom. Inside, however, you could be on the streets of Paris. Cash only. Amazing food. Reasonable prices.

Am I doing this right? Date preferences?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check my calendar when you get a date set, but I'll most likely be a day tripper. Conflicts may come from Tech home football schedule and whatever plans Aunt Kelly makes without first conferring across the dinner table. (EOM isn't on my calendar due to low vacation balance.)

As El Toro says, stay away from EOM dates. I could zip up there from Greenville, SC easy peasy for a day

You're new to this RTE thing, aren't you?

Seriously, you pick when you want to go. You post up. That's it. No polls, no votes, no yakking.

Personally I'd rather see you pick 9/24 or 25. Yes, the dates of the EOM. Believe it or not there are some of us NOT attending EOM. This could be our little consolation prize. This is a practice I've gotten used to in my area- as folks depart for Myrtle Beach or Daytona bike dealerships always have an open house/cheap lunch for those not leaving town.

If someone wants to attend at a time other than EOM let them do it.

ETA: my work schedule has changed. Saturday/Sunday is the only time I could attend. FWIW.

I'll check my calendar when you get a date set, but I'll most likely be a day tripper. Conflicts may come from Tech home football schedule and whatever plans Aunt Kelly makes without first conferring across the dinner table. (EOM isn't on my calendar due to low vacation balance.)
Hud, that's the weekend after the Thursday night Clemson/Tech game, so you may not feel like riding. :)

Joey.

Thursday night, ESPN national audience ....... hope y'all wear the purple pants. I like the purple pants.

Hmm, I'd go, but I'm planning on joining my brother at the Southern RoadStar Meetup in Bryson City sometime during 13-19 Sept. I'll have to keep this in mind if those plans fall through.

Too bad the OP never followed through on this. I would have liked a reason to ride over, shoot the breeze and check out "one of the best restaurants on the planet".

Life.. Best intentions, but I have a neck injury and it has been giving me grief the last few weeks. Short local rides are OK but no longer rides in a while.

Life.. Best intentions, but I have a neck injury and it has been giving me grief the last few weeks. Short local rides are OK but no longer rides in a while.
Owwww!! Sorry to hear. I was kinda hoping for a reason to ride to Franklin. It's a long, boring 5 hr ride for me coming from the east so it's not someplace I actively seek to go. Maybe we can try it next year, eh?

Hope you're feeling better soon!