Another Track Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SECA_to_FJR

Reaction score
Did another track day last month. I typically only do one a year so I'm certainly no pro nor is the FJR a "track bike" but I gotta give Yamaha some credit... For a shaft drive, 600 pound bike this thing handles and performs more than you would think! It takes some effort but you can get pretty aggressive out there and push this thing to some fairly decent lengths to at least feel "respectable" among all the sport bikes out there. My legs with sore for 2 days afterwards though. Anyway, posting a few pics of the day.

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_2246-2155.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_783-763.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_1864-1784.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_1151-1119.jpg

If you zoom in on this you can actually see the sparks from the foot peg dragging (and I know i don't want to be doing that)

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_1168-1136.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_1955-1871.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_2266-2174.jpg

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_2199-2108.jpg

Those are some great shots (probably want some hard copies to frame; I know, I would). You've certainly got your 'lean' on.
punk.gif

Glad you were able to show those track rats how awesome the FJR is on the track! I miss those track days.

BTW - nice form, great style points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered riding in one of Tony's Non-Sportbike Track Days. STs like the FJR get to ride in the top group and you can really let loose. https://www.newenglandriders.org/ promotes them heavily and Ken does a lot of training.
Hey MrM0t0, Yes I'm aware of Tony's non-sportbike events. They would probably be more appropriate but I never really considered them. Partly because of silly pride and ego that I want to be with the sport bikes and be able to keep up. ....But more realistically, because I go with my buddy (who owns the trailer...) and he rides a Ducati 959 Panigale which he ain't going to ride in the non-sport class! (He also has an FJR).

Truthfully a good part of my incentive to put up this post was to show how phenomenal this bike can actually handle for a "Sport Tourer" IMHO. At first i was hesitant to push hard and when i started nicking the foot peg feelers i thought, "whoa, better back off because I'm getting close to laying it over". After all it's not a sport bike. As i built confidence (in myself and in my bike) the nicks became more of a drag. Both a cool and uneasy feeling at the same time! (see pics below). With instruction and maturing as a track rider, I found myself trying to get off the seat more to push the bike away to "stand it up more" to increase speed but of course it still drags cause it is low. I always leave a track day with a "wow" feeling for how versatile and impressive this bike is albeit exhausting throwing it around all day. Just a big kudos to the engineers...

Track_Day_2017_TTD_Thompson_9-25-17_2199-2108%20-%20Peg%202.jpg

(The boot wear was from my first track days. I have much better foot position now! )

Track_Day_2016_TTD_Thompson_9-26-16_1484%20-%20Peg.jpg