Blip in ignition connection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
After sitting over night in side or out, I turn on the ignition switch and hit the starter on my 03 and I loose power connection. If I turn the key to the left a hair power is back and if it doesn't loose connection again and the bike starts it is good to go and will work fine the rest of the day. Some times it will do it again after it sits for several hours, but usually the ignition works fine till it sits over night. The weird thing is that the ignition works fine some times. Could I have a corrosion problem that a shot of contact cleaner in the key hole would fix?

Could be a ground. Could be a lot of things. But I had a very similar problem that was due to the wires at the base of the ignition switch wearing, which caused a phantom millisecond cutout when the bars deflected, sometimes it wouldn't start, then it'd be fine. Took weeks to figure out what the problem actually was. This was on a BMW.

One of two things, both happened to my '03 over 270,000 km

One of the wires soldered to the base of the ignition plate is breaking off.

Or

The brass connection plates are sticking.

Either way, you need to remove and disassemble your ignition. Both have been documented here very well and it not a huge job. I'll see if I can find the links.

I have my old one sitting on the shelf and can send you any pics if that helps.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Try getting a new key cut. I had a similar problem with starting my 07. If i wiggled the key, it would start. Thought about tearing the ignition apart like some of the posts here. I had a new key cut and I have not had that issue since.

Thanks for the posts on repairs, I'm going to try doing a good cleaning and see if that works. I sprayed some contact cleaner in the switch and that seemed to help.

I like the idea of breaking the switch down and cleaning it all up.