ticker parts and labor list

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feejer/Weejer man

Reaction score
O.K. so I will just type:

qty/hrs

5jw-12210-01-00 Tensioner assy, cam 1

5jw-12213-00-00 Gasket, tensioner 2

4kg-1111g-00-00 rubber, mount 8

5jw-11193-00-00 gasket,head cover 1

5jw-11181-00-00 gasket, cylinder head 1

5jw-12121-01-00 valve, exhaust ........................................8

1aa-12118-00-00 cotter,valve.........................................16

33m-12119-09-00 seal,valve stem....... ..............16

93210-18417-00 oring .............................................2

5jw-11133-10-00 guide,intake valve ................8

93340-09141-00 circlip,outer .........8

90210-08087-00 washer plate...................................1

91317-06065-00 bolt,socket.................................................2

90210-06016-00 washer,plate..............................................2

90119-10004-00bolt,with washer..........................................10

4mf-14613-00-00 gasket,exhaust pipe...................................4

3xw-14714-00-00 gasket,muffler.............................................1

3xw-14714-00-00 gasket muffler.............................................1

labor

diagnose engine noies........ 1

r&r cam chain

tensioner............................................................1.4

R&R 1pc valve

guide..................................................................6.5

R&R each add. valve

guide........................................................5.6

sent out valve

guides................................................................6.66-

extra

time.....................................................................3.28

Well there it is parts and labor. Now tell me what was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
5jw-11133-10-00  guide,intake valve                    ................8
Did the invoice really state that intake valve guides were used? I didn't see any exhaust valva guides on there.

The sixth item down 5JW-12121-01-00 valve,exhaust.

so that makes 8 exhaust, 8 intake and 16 seal, valve stem. Looks like to me they did both sides for some reason.

If indeed they heat the head for guide replacement,it only makes sense to replace all, as the existing guide fit could not be assured. Also, it would prevent a comeback for any valve problems related or unrelated to the original repair. Who knows, the intakes may not be all that trouble free.

The sixth item down 5JW-12121-01-00 valve,exhaust.
so that makes 8 exhaust, 8 intake and 16 seal, valve stem. Looks like to me they did both sides for some reason.
No, according to the invoice as reprinted, they replaced all 8 exhaust valves and 8 valve guides, but it says they used intake guides and there are no exhaust guides (or intake valves) listed. Clear as mud? Naturally they would replace all the stem seals, as the head had to come apart to replace the guides and you wouldn't want to re-use old seals. Apparently, intake and exhaust seals are identical, as they used 16 of the same part number.

My 2004 caught the "tick" the summer after I bought the Beast, ( appx 9,000 miles). I rode it all that summer, 2004 and told myself, screw it, I'll ride it thought the rest of the riding season,( only 7 months in Mn. anyways, and I'll have it over alled in winter). So last winter I was at the Mpls cycleshow, and as I walked towards the Yamaha booth, the local service manager saw me walking there way, and intercepted me before I could up my Big mouth, and mention any kind of "tick' stories to potential customers. He walked away from the crowd and said" You bring your bike to me and we'll do whatever it takes to fix your bike". I said, '" You got a deal", and I walked away and didn't mention a peep.

So, here is what they did, first they had the region Yamaha service manager come over to the dealership and he took a listen, yep, he got the tick! So they ordered me up a whole new batch of parts

Fjrtick.jpg

Then after having a local machine shop F-ck up the job, they ordered me a whole new 2005 head straight from Yamaha , Japan

5a5cc318.jpg

The trick I learned a long time ago; Tell the person doing the service ( in my case, the mechanic working on my bike),that your requesting him to do the kind of job that they would what if it was theirs, and if it is 110%, they have a big tip coming!!!! They go out and remember you, your not just a per hour, and your giving him respect for his job being done right, and guess what, he didn't like the job performed by the head expert, and ordered me up a Brand-new Yamaha head, sweet!!

Now, 9,000 more miles later, tickless.

ZZZzz

tickless.jpg

So they needed 17 intake valve guides? Apparently the valve guides are the same for intake and exhaust and the catalog lists them as intake guides. OK. But why 17? Just curious.

Geezer; as I've alluded to before, this whole situation is ripe for screw-ups. Seem's odd, tho, that they'd mention 17 on a 16 valve engine? Why not just keep-quiet about the extra one?

IMO, getting this operation done (correctly) outside the factory is highy questionable.

Especially, when we often get reports here of simple service going awry....

At least fjrvtx got the revised -09- valve stem seals......

It is interesting the way the write up reads that they replaced 8 exhaust valves and (apparently) used 8 intake valve guides to rebuild the head....

I just figured they gave you the new high performance head with an extra valve that increases horse power. ;)

It is interesting the way the write up reads that they replaced 8 exhaust valves and (apparently) used 8 intake valve guides to rebuild the head....
Yes, it is. Zzzz's invoice states the same. Maybe that's "the fix"? My local service manager told me he thought they changed the guides to cure the problem.

The guides were supposed to be different when WC did his ticker. Remember he sent one of the new one in to be evaluated if it was different than the original. I forget, they put a dot on the stem or took one off whatever. But the new seals are fairly new, maybe an '06 replacement also.

So what did they really do according to the repair invoice?

My repair parts list shows the valve guides as intakes, same part number as others have shown. No replacement cam chain stuff. Valve stem seals show the 00 not 09 number and invoice says 8 were used. I do not think the intake valves need to come out, so the seals are OK. Guides are a press fit with the proper tools, so no need to heat the head. The key is PROPER Yamaha tools for this job.

Longrider

So what did they really do according to the repair invoice?
They replaced the exhaust valves & guides (apparently using intake guides) and all the stem seals. No new intake valves or guides, just the seals on the intake side.

My repair parts list shows the valve guides as intakes, same part number as others have shown. No replacement cam chain stuff. Valve stem seals show the 00 not 09 number and invoice says 8 were used. I do not think the intake valves need to come out, so the seals are OK. Guides are a press fit with the proper tools, so no need to heat the head. The key is PROPER Yamaha tools for this job.
Well then, it will be interesting to see what my paperwork says, since my bike is being repaired at the same facility. Should be identical. I was lead to believe that Yamaha was batching the needed parts to send them, story was that they knew best what the repair entailed. I'll make sure to get the lowdown in detail bfore I leave the shop. If it ticks again, they fix again. If it doesn't, it won't be because I've been babying the thing. :evil:

A good friend of mine who has raced all his life used my FJR for a vacation with his friends from San Fransisco area down past San Diego and back this summer. He heard the noises and knows from my info about the tick. Well I had him over after the fix and his opinion was he didn't notice much difference if any at all. Oh well. I think the noise now is just the FJR engine not the tick but this weekend I will be amongst quite a few FJR's. I will be able to tell then. Lots of ears and bikes to compare it with.

his opinion was he didn't notice much difference if any at all. Oh well. I think the noise now is just the FJR engine not the tick but this weekend I will be amongst quite a few FJR's. I will be able to tell then. Lots of ears and bikes to compare it with.
I like to think I'm somewhat of an expert tick listener myself, unfortunately. I finally heard a healthy one today (TWN). The FJR engine does make some tapping noises, but they're rythmic and sound like most fuel injectors. I'd bet that your bike sounds the same as the other healthy bikes. Occidental ride? Be careful, you might get a listening party started and some other poor bastard may end up with bad news!

I just confirmed today that mine is a ticker. Set for surgery beginning on May 23rd. Parts are to be ordered next Tuesday. I have 24k on my 05. I am taking it to Roseville Yamaha since they have already performed this surgery 3 times so they have good experience performing this repair.

Is anyone still keeping "ticker" statistics anywhere?

I'm considering to repair a ticker with my 2003 machine. The parts listed above marked OBSOLETE (at boats.net as well as at a few other on-line stores I tried) and no substitutions are suggested by Yamaha.

So is there a working update to the above parts list?

-grommit

Responding to myself - here's my version of the revised parts list required to mute the ticker forever. Format is P/n - Price, Qty.

Prices are taken from Ron Ayers Motorsports web-site.

5JW-11181-00-00 gasket, cylinder head - $32.78, 1
5JW-12121-01-00 valve, exhaust - $27.53 , 8
1AA-12118-00-00 cotter,valve - $2.06, 16
3P6-12129-00-00 [33m-12119-09-00] seal,valve stem - $4.80, 16
3P6-11134-10-00 [5jw-11133-10-00] guide valve 2 - $37.08, 8
93440-09141-00 circlip,outer - $0.40, 8
90201-08087-00 [90210-08087-00] washer plate - $1.37, 1
90119-10004-00 bolt,with washer - $3.60, 10
5EA-1111G-00-00 [4kg-1111g-00-00] rubber, mount - $6.80, 8
4FM-14613-00-00 gasket,exhaust pipe - $3.84, 4
3xw-14714-00-00 gasket,muffler - $11.88, 2
5JW-11193-00-00 gasket,head cover - $18.16, 1
93210-18417-00 o-ring - $1.46, 2

- If you never heard of CCT, then:

5JW-12210-01-00 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM - $77.40, 1
5JW-12213-00-00 GASKET, TENSIONER CAM - $1.19, 1

The above list assumes the replacement of exhaust valves & guides and both intake & exhaust valve stems seals.

Where I quoted another P/N in brackets, I voluntary assumed that the first (taken from a 2009 fiche) supersedes the second (as of 2003 fiche). That may not always be correct, I've not yet tried that myself.

What's interesting is that in latest FJRs, besides new seals, Yamaha seems to use dedicated valve guides for exhausts, other then those for intake as it used to be in the past.

If anyone can dis/approve my parts version before it's too late -- please comment!

-grommit