Dirty Fun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
I've been neglecting the Wabs lately and decided to ride it like it was intended to be ridden. Beautiful day, nothing else to do, so I headed for the hills north of Santa Babs. For you locals, the route was; Tepusquet (pavement) to Colson Canyon (dirt) to LaBrea Canyon (dirt) to Mirada Pine (dirt) to Sierra Madre (fast dirt!) to Bates Canyon (dirt) to Cottonwood Canyon (pavement). Total miles was 260 with 60 of that on dirt. Only saw one deer and two big mutha-effin' squirrels - was hoping to see more, like bobcat and mountain lion, but no luck. Lots of flora and avian fauna, though.

Some shots from the ride...

My first vista of the day after emerging from Colson Canyon:

IMG_1096-1.jpg

Had to stop here to check for drop damage. I boofed it over a big rock exiting a stream. Minor scuffs only.

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

That large rock left of center at bottom is what got me. Wrenched the front to the right and I lost my footing when it heeled over.

IMG_1101.jpg

Nice spot for lunch, eh? Santa Ynez tri-tip sammich with salsa, lemonade and chips. Yummy!

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Looks fun, no? :)

IMG_1109.jpg

This is Cayuma Valley, which is where I'm headed. Hwy 166 is down there somewhere.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

San Andreas Fault (running horizontal in the middle of the shot):

IMG_1115.jpg

Cottonwood Canyon - a wee gem of a road loaded with yellow and purple wild flowers. A pleasant view after all that dirt. :good:

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Lots of fun, wish you were there! :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome stuff FW

....no street pussy on this ride, nice job.

wish I could have been along for it.

So THAT'S where Brad hid the sunshine! :eek:

Nice pictures, Tim. The hills are sure lovely before the Summer heat turns everything "golden". It looks like you had a great time.

Great pics TWN, thanks for taking the trouble. I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again. You have some wonderful country out there. Makes me very envious. I would almost exchange live qualifying for a day out there!

That's gotta be the most flowers purposefully included in a ride report yet. Thanks for sharing.

My suthahn-ness may be showin', but what's a "Ynez tri-tip sammich?" That got chitlins in it?

Looks fun, no? :)
IMG_1109.jpg
Looks like a lot of fun. I've been thinking about getting a dual sport to replace my Concours.

I've had a KLR and a XR-L but I didn't like either on the paved roads. Are you happy with the DL?

I'm impressed Tim! :yahoo:

But now I've gott'a know why in this big-ol stream you just felt the need to pick on the biggest rock in the picture?

IMG_1101.jpg

And no foot on the bike flip off? Me thinks a mini tripod for your birthday. :rolleyes:

Nice, Tim!

My dual sport ride is slated to be complete by July.. I'm romping to go!

BTW - Enjoyed the part about 'neglecting Wabs' so you showed her some attention by running her on dirty roads, falling in creeks, and running the piss outta the poor girl on roadways.. Perfect! :yahoo:

Excellent ride report...Thanks for sharing those beautiful panorama.

The San Andreas fault sure is a big one. It is hard to believe it is real until you see it yourself or in pictures.

Gives me some near-term hope and inspiration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, all. I spent some time cleaning and buffing out scratches today. It doesn't care, though - we had fun!

My suthahn-ness may be showin', but what's a "Ynez tri-tip sammich?" That got chitlins in it?
It's a SoCal thing. It's the end cut of the sirloin (the triangle piece). There's only one per beef side and lots of local eateries marinate the cut, toss it on a oak-fueled fire 'til it's cooked medium. Usually served sliced thin on a French roll or similar with onions, salsa and drippin's. A good tri-tip sammich is nirvana for a carnivore.

Are you happy with the DL?
Very. I bought it specifically for my Alaska trip (now postponed) and gravel/easy dirt roads like this ride. I had it up in the Sierras last year on O'vale's FODS run wherein the road was better suited for small dualies or dirt bikes and not big hunkin' adventurers like the Strom. I had no business being on those roads, but it did manage them. Me, on the other hand, not so much. :blink:

I'm impressed Tim! :yahoo: But now I've gott'a know why in this big-ol stream you just felt the need to pick on the biggest rock in the picture?

And no foot on the bike flip off? Me thinks a mini tripod for your birthday. :rolleyes:
You know, I picked a line that looked fairly well packed, but didn't figger on the supporting sand to be so soggy. I was sinking in and the rocks were just moving all about and I hit that rock (the one at the bottom of the photo, not center). Live and learn!

I had to laugh as I thought to take a picture of the downed beast with me in a Captain Morgan pose, but only after I righted the bike and moved it to solid ground. Oddly, I always travel with a small tripod. I half thought about laying it over again just for that shot! :lol:

TWN, I hate you :)
I know. It's a blessing and a gift I have!

Nice, Tim! My dual sport ride is slated to be complete by July.. I'm romping to go!

BTW - Enjoyed the part about 'neglecting Wabs' so you showed her some attention by running her on dirty roads, falling in creeks, and running the piss outta the poor girl on roadways.. Perfect! :yahoo:
Well, I'd be happy to run that route again when you get yours done! Say the word!