is your speed o close to accurate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj bill

Reaction score
searched b4 posting and didnt get any results so here goes,my speedo is around 5 mph off to the low side.if it reads 75 is really 70 etc.anyone else have this or am i the only one,how is your new 08 seem to you fairlaner.thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked my 08 against GPS, and bike's speedo reads about 3mph HIGHER than GPS reaading. Sounds about right from previous posts here.

My bike's speedo reads about 7kmh (4mph) higher than GPS reading when I doing 150 kmh. If I do more

then 150kmh difference between real speed and speedo reads goes higher then 7 kmh.

The error is relative - i.e. the faster you go the more off it is - by design. The Gen-1 bikes were much closer, the Gen-2 are apparently 3-8% optimistic, which is perfectly legal - interesting enough, the odometer is bang-on.

My Gen-2 is accurate because I have a speedo-healer installed that compensates for the optimisn, which in turn makes my odometer read low . . .

My speedo vs GPS is about 2 to 3% hi. What I was surprised at was after a 404 mile day a couple of weeks ago, my odo and GPS disagreed by less than 1 mile!

My speedometer is high by about 5 to 6%. My ODO is also off, but to be honest I haven't paid close enough attention to tell you by how much.

What I was surprised at was after a 404 mile day a couple of weeks ago, my odo and GPS disagreed by less than 1 mile!
I'd wager the the odo on the GPS was what was off - because the unit aliases by sampling location only every second, as so 'cuts corners' and such.

Beyond this, depending on your GPS model the unit's odometer could rack up mileage just sitting there, powered up.

Zumo and Nuvi 'wander' with GPS error and can 'do' a couple of miles in an hour or two just sitting still!! 276 is rock solid that way and doesn't budge unless you are actually moving.

searched b4 posting and didnt get any results so here goes,my speedo is around 5 mph off to the low side.if it reads 75 is really 70 etc.anyone else have this or am i the only one,how is your new 08 seem to you fairlaner.thanks for the input.
Searching the word "error" I got 23 pages of posts, a number of which were on this topic. It almost should be NEPRT with the gas mileage threads.

Every bike I've ever owned was optomistic in its indicated speed (vs actual). It's such a well-known thing that many people posting reported speeds will use either "indicated" or "actual" so readers will know if there needs to be a little "fudge factor" figured in when reading the reports.

Hondas are typically about 10% off (more miles per off the faster you go).

5 mph low for an indicated reading is pretty good in the overall picture of things.

IIUC it's a liability thing. Mfgrs don't want someone to come bitching to a court if they put on a non-OEM tire that's a little different profile which might otherwise cause their speedo to read lower than actual and cost them a ticket.

I checked my 08 against a couple of those "Your Speed is" trailer the state puts out... It's at least 5 mph off ,,, so I figure if the speed limit is 65 MPH,,,

I should be about right at 80 ,,,,,, :yahoo:

Haven't checked with a GPS yet...

Two 07's and an 08 are all off by 4-5 mph at 50 and 6-7 by 70. I have checked it against several speed carts and had one of my friends radar me and they are all the same. only problem I have with this is my warrnety will be up a little early.

Two 07's and an 08 are all off by 4-5 mph at 50 and 6-7 by 70. I have checked it against several speed carts and had one of my friends radar me and they are all the same. only problem I have with this is my warrnety will be up a little early.
Maybe that's why the warranty is unlimted mileage? :rolleyes:

Actually, it is high by design - the law allows speedometers to be optimistic, but forbids them being pessimistc - as tire geometry changes, which is affected by the load on the machine, tire size, tread wear and tire pressure the absolute readings vary - so they make it a bit more optimistic to ensure they don;t go into the 'gray area' where the bike is going faster than indicated.

The 1st generation machines' speedos were closer than Gen-II.

If it bothers you, there is a solution, as I wrote the last time this thread was active.