Spark Plug Caps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I've done spark plug changes many times now. It can be a relatively small PITA to remove the plug caps. For those who have removed the PAIR plumbing no doubt it's easier. I have always used a pair of channel lock pliers to remove the caps.

Well, look what happened to one of the caps on the last go around. :angry: My girlfriend got pissed too. She was in the garage and did not approve of all the expletives I chose to use to express my true feelings at the moment of separation. :eek: Fuke me!

SparkPlugCap4.jpg

Yup, pulled a chunk of rubber off with the pliers, with the cap not budging. Bummer. Now for the 2nd piece of bad news. Guess how much a replacement cost? (Backordered from Japan btw)

SparkPlugCap2.jpg

$38.20!!! And that is from a discount vendor (Zanoti). For one! Keee-riste! A couple other of the caps are showing the starting signs of the same problem, but for that amount of coin, I'll wait until I absolutely have to replace them. And will try and be more careful in the future.

BTW, I think age and heat have something to do with degrading the rubber as the new cap seemed stiffer.

Any tips on how to gently remove these suckers?

SparkPlugCap6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[Have vectervp1 stop by and remove them orally? :dntknw:
I'm jus' sayin'.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good lord! Just because them Squids give you jarheads or grunts (I know understand the terms) favors while out at sea doesn't mean I will. Sorry Bubba, but this ship don't sail that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn you to hell, GunMD! I just was eating my lunch at my desk here at Metro Mechanical and scanning our FJR Forum when I saw your post. Blew orange soda all over my keyboard and flipped two tamales with salsa on my lap.

Jesu Cristo, que lastima; Puta la Maji! Senor Montoya is going to fully blow a butt gasket when he reads that one!

SkooterG: You just know Arte is going to think that you put GunMD up to that outstanding comment! Too fucking funny!

Son of a Bitch, you Marines do indeed have a sense of humor! Ha, ha!

Using a Q Tip I put silicone grease in side the plug wire boot where it goes over the spark plug and again on the top where the boot sits inside the cylinder head.

The first time I changed my plugs I thought I was going to ruin the wires. Much much easier now.

I got a spark plug removal tool/pliers at the auto parts store. They have a plastic coated elongated gripping portion that spreads the pressure along the rubber sleeve and allows one to pull along the proper axis.

I think applying silicone grease to the rubber boots would also help.

JMHO

LC

This is the last "Village People" fan club meeting I'm ever attending.

The grease helps, but yeah, Scoot, that cap is the victim of age and heat. Ya got 200K out of' em, way more than a car will get out of a set.

I got a spark plug removal tool/pliers at the auto parts store. They have a plastic coated elongated gripping portion that spreads the pressure along the rubber sleeve and allows one to pull along the proper axis.
Yep -- too lazy to go down to the garage and take a pic, but I use the same sort of thing and am very deliberate about removing and reinstalling the boots.

[Have vectervp1 stop by and remove them orally? :dntknw:
I'm jus' sayin'.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good lord! Just because them Squids give you jarheads or grunts (I know understand the terms) favors while out at sea doesn't mean I will. Sorry Bubba, but this ship don't sail that way.
you know why the Navy lets Marines on their ships? sheep would be too obvious.

Yeah! And them damn pigs will squeal on ya every time...ah..er...so I've heard...koff... :unsure: