Battery Relocation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTCFJR

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done it.. The location is rediculous although never had any problems in 20,000 plus miles. Aslo have to think the handling could be improved by moving it closer to the ecenter of gravity. I do not have ABS so there is much room behind the airbox under the seat. Have everything apart right now for winter work/ maint. and have been experimenting with fitment. The ignition coil that mounts to the battery hold bracket in its current position is mountable easy enough next to the other on frame spar as wel as the fuse hoders, etc..

It's been done. Don't expect any handling benefits. On the ABS bike, forget it. :D

edit: What do you "hate" about the stock location? You don't play with the battery very often. It's easy to get to if you just pull the ABCD panels and the right side fairing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery weighs about 11 lbs. The gas in the tank weighs about 41 lbs. The variation of gas volume/weight would have a more profound effect on handling than the location of the battery. Plus, you may upset the left-right balance of the bike if you move the battery to a central location.

Would be a very low priority for most folks.

The battery weighs about 11 lbs. The gas in the tank weighs about 41 lbs. The variation of gas volume/weight would have a more profound effect on handling than the location of the battery.
IIRC that was the experience of the person that did it.

You also may want to consider the additional heat the battery will be exposed to sitting behind the engine and under the seat. Yes, bikes were built for many years with batteries placed there, but the FJR does produce a bit more heat than most. And heat definitely shortens battery life. I don't think it's worth moving.

You also may want to consider the additional heat the battery will be exposed to sitting behind the engine and under the seat. Yes, bikes were built for many years with batteries placed there, but the FJR does produce a bit more heat than most. And heat definitely shortens battery life. I don't think it's worth moving.
The batteries are on the right DownUnder as well.

I was wondering if your throttle is on the left as you ride on the otherside of the road to us. :rolleyes:

Finished , will post pictures if anyone is interested, worked out very well as if the factory did it. Quick access now to the main fuse and soleniod/fuse block also.. Plenty of room. Nice clean appearance on the frame, the only components left there are the ignition coils. Success is even sweeter now... ;)

i am interested in relocation too but can't think of where it'd go i have ABS and HATE the current location
If your riding skills excell that of what the fj can provide,i would suggest moving up tgo a ri,cbr,mv etc;

Finished , will post pictures if anyone is interested, worked out very well as if the factory did it. Quick access now to the main fuse and soleniod/fuse block also.. Plenty of room. Nice clean appearance on the frame, the only components left there are the ignition coils. Success is even sweeter now... ;)
it didn't happen...liar liar pants on fire :rolleyes:

i am interested in relocation too but can't think of where it'd go i have ABS and HATE the current location
If your riding skills excell that of what the fj can provide,i would suggest moving up tgo a ri,cbr,mv etc;
own an RZ350 and a Daytona 955i, plus 30 plus years of riding and roadracing, simply trying to influence and modify... its cold outside

it didn't happen...liar liar pants on fire :rolleyes: