If you EVER have get the chance...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't own it.

I sure as hell had nothing to do with making it.

Just lucky enough to live near it.

If you live on this continent, and you have a bike and a little time,

you owe it to yourself to ride to Northern California, and ride these friggin' roads.

On our blue and green planet, I know there are many fantastic places to ride,

and if you live near any of them,

you'll vouch for the joy of their particular wonders....

but I just want to humbly suggest this area.

This isn't a ride report. I just rode up to the northern coast and mountains

for the day yesterday, and went on a putt with a few other riders.

If any of ya'll from other areas ever make it out here, I'm sure there are dozens of the

"local" FJRForum folks who'll be glad to lead you on a tour that you'd never forget.

I've ridden most of these roads many times, but still find myself in awe of the

incredible beauty.

Got home late yesterday, from another ride, and I've still got enthusiasm all over me.

It doesn't shower off. Flame if you want.

-From yesterday, (other participants will file ride reports I'm certain ;) ) some less-than-well-composed and focused images,

but it gives you another glimpse of just a little part of it. ( The real thing can't be captured in pixels anyway.)

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1552-1.jpg

IMG_1571-2.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1562-1.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

And then if you cross the valley to the east, there's the big mountains, and farther south

a couple of hours there's Tahoe and Yosemite, and then back to the coast and...

Come on the hell out!!!

We ain't gettin' any younger.

Some of the pictures look like Hwy 128 that goes though the Navarro Forrest. Am I close???? Rich
Yes Rich, you are correct my brother.

Rode solo up 101 to 128 West. In Boonville (with only one "e"), I turned left and took Mountain View Rd. to the coast and Manchester.

There, I met a bunch of the folks doing the weekend Manchester / KOA campout. (Beautiful KOA by the way.)

Joined a group, led by Ms. Tyler- organizer extraordinaire- (bunch of BMW's and a VFR- Steve, Scott, Dona with one "n", Susan, Mike, and young Eric), and we took 101 up to Mendocino, quick lunchy (joined by FarWestFastEddie - really great guy), and then took Comptche Ukiah/Orr Springs Rd. inland back to 101.

Down 101 again to Boonville Ukiah Rd. and west, back to Boonville.

Met another group there, including our boys Brodie & FJRONAMission (Brian), who'd arrived and were heading to Manchester for the camping and partying. Spent a great few minutes talking, laughing and smiling, before saying my good-byes and turning for home.

I then enjoyed a solo, and very spirited run back down 128 (what a rush!) and back to 101, where I actually had a blast lane-splitting for about 30 miles, almost all the way to Novato.

About 500 miles, and not a second of it tedium.

10K Feej miles so far this year - NONE commuting- and summer is just starting! :yahoo:

Hey. You asked.

Didn't you? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live on this continent, and you have a bike and a little time,you owe it to yourself to ride to Northern California, and ride these friggin' roads.
Mental Note: he's a loon, but when he's right, he's right. Ride N. Ca.

With the exception of the ocean, you can experience similar conditions in places like the Cherahola Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Southeast and there are similar roads and vistas almost everywhere (except perhaps on the Prairies).

We are blessed with some wonderful roads for our pastime - and it is reason enough to justify long range touring.

Get out and see what else is out there. And if you think THAT's amazing, get to Switerland, Italy, Spain, France and beyond . . . . .

I'm thinking about a Diners Drive-Ins and Dives tour of the East Coast this summer . . . with stops in places like the Georgia Loop and another run through Deal's Gap and such . . . .

There were lots of great roads that I made an attempt to keep up with JB and Hycle while in that area. I need to get back. :) and figure out a way to get better pictures while moving...

How interesting....I was just looking at Mountain View Rd. on the map while looking for roads for someone else. The thought came...I haven't been on that road in years, probably 7 or 8 (while riding with 2 Goldwingers who weren't at all happy with my choice of roads) and I was mentally putting it on my NorCal bucket list for after CFR.

It sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.

Some of the pictures look like Hwy 128 that goes though the Navarro Forrest. Am I close???? Rich
Yes Rich, you are correct my brother.

Rode solo up 101 to 128 West. In Boonville (with only one "e"), I turned left and took Mountain View Rd. to the coast and Manchester.

There, I met a bunch of the folks doing the weekend Manchester / KOA campout. (Beautiful KOA by the way.)

Joined a group, led by Ms. Tyler- organizer extraordinaire- (bunch of BMW's and a VFR- Steve, Scott, Dona with one "n", Susan, Mike, and young Eric), and we took 101 up to Mendocino, quick lunchy (joined by FarWestFastEddie - really great guy), and then took Comptche Ukiah/Orr Springs Rd. inland back to 101.

Down 101 again to Boonville Ukiah Rd. and west, back to Boonville.

Met another group there, including our boys Brodie & FJRONAMission (Brian), who'd arrived and were heading to Manchester for the camping and partying. Spent a great few minutes talking, laughing and smiling, before saying my good-byes and turning for home.

I then enjoyed a solo, and very spirited run back down 128 (what a rush!) and back to 101, where I actually had a blast lane-splitting for about 30 miles, almost all the way to Novato.

About 500 miles, and not a second of it tedium.

10K Feej miles so far this year - NONE commuting- and summer is just starting! :yahoo:

Hey. You asked.

Didn't you? :unsure:

======

It was good ta see ya again OM...... Those roads are great!!! I know there will be ride reports made and

I will chime in with some pics too........ and that one pic of you and Tyler.......... :kiss:

B.

Great pics OM. Makes me want to check out the left coast. Maybe in 10 years when I retire, but I'll add it to the list of things I have to do before I kick the bucket. Thanks.

Okay everyone............. now that I have you wondering.... what pic???

Actually...... she got real close to his face and.........

as far as I could tell............................ picked something out of his nose :bad: :eek: ..........

B.

OmM was on those roads about a month ago. I see it is still green yet..
Green still barely... it is amazing how quickly the lands turn from green to brown... signs of it everywhere today... methinks we got the last visions of springtime this weekend... B)

As always, OM, lovely pics... I'll try to get mine together tomorrow. :)