06 Needs New FI Map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp357

Reaction score
Ok,

this bike really needs a new FI map to cover the lower end and get rid of the jerky low rpm resonpse. I know about the Fred shim, but frankly, it's just wrong. The BMW K1200S had this problem and BMW stepped up to the plate and fixed it. The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

Giddy'p :clapping:

Ok,this bike really needs a new FI map to cover the lower end and get rid of the jerky low rpm resonpse. I know about the Fred shim, but frankly, it's just wrong. The BMW K1200S had this problem and BMW stepped up to the plate and fixed it. The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

I've had Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Yamaha's Since the early 60's and my 05 is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. Why should Yamaha fix something that is not broke?

I'm having Deja Vu all over again. If one anonymous person think's something is wrong it must be a natural assumption the whole product line is messed up and not just their bike or their perception. Those cooky engineers must be pulling a fast one on all the 2006 customers.

Or, maybe.....just maybe temp357 will detail his reasoning process, diagnostics, and build a case.....I don't know......maybe like this board did on the ticking issue over the course of many months.

Please temp357. Please put some meat on the bone you just threw. Just what exactly should the map be? 1's and 0's would be appreciated.

Or, is it my imagination that there are a lot more 'glass-is-half-empty' FJR owners these days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah seriously. Something doesn't work for you, but works for everone else, fix it. In your case, how about a PC, loosened spring, bigger grips, or some novacaine for your hand?

-BD

After doing the shim, adjusting the cables, and loosening the spring one turn, I find the '06 throttle response to be excellent. As smooth as my BMW K1200LT ever was (and I considered it perfect).

The only time I think "gee, this FI map stinks" is when trying to hold 20 mph in 2nd gear for a long school zone. There is some lean surge there that could be better. But come on, how often do you really ride like that? This bike is made for the "accelerate as hard as you can until you need to stop as fast as you can" type of riding.

Enjoy!

As soon as I installed the famous Aluminum TOG's and did the side stand [fix]. My throttle problems went away. I've ordered a new Givi attachment to provide even more cooling too.

Now my 06 will be perfect.

Ok,this bike really needs a new FI map to cover the lower end and get rid of the jerky low rpm resonpse. I know about the Fred shim, but frankly, it's just wrong. The BMW K1200S had this problem and BMW stepped up to the plate and fixed it. The question is will Yamaha? How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?
In the real world, the "problems" you complain about are not new across several brands of motorcyle. Yammie ain't gonna do squat about it as most owners don't notice any problem and I am sure they are quite happy with their design and results in regards to emissions and drivability.

The solution to your problem, however, is quite simple: Power Commander.

How hard can it be for them to reprogram the ECU with the correct FI map?

If in fact, it actually needs a different fuel map it's still ALOT tougher than you think. There's this evil little band of people called the EPA. Even if Yamama WANTS to change the fuel map on all the '06s, they're not allowed to, unles the evil EPA nasties say it's ok. An across the board mapping change like that requires EPA certification, and then the bike must be stickered to indicate the new new mapping and compliance certification. So if you and maybe a handful of others are the only one's complaining, don't hold your breath waiting on Yamama to reflash all your ECUs. Major ECU programming changes only occur to solve major problems. Better start building your case now. Otherwise, buy a PCIII USB and get somebody to do you a custom map.

Ok,

I'm pretty sure I made it clear i was talking about the 06.

Wakeup and smell the coffee folks. I applaud all of the farkling and everyone tinkering around on their bikes to make it perfect. Everyone all over this forum has the same issues.

After...

doing the shim

adjusting the cables

loosening the spring one turn

Barbarian jumper mod

PCIII

...I find the '06 throttle response to be excellent

I think i even told someone to just leave the bike in 3rd/4th/5th gear and stop their complain'n. After all, the bike has tons of torque.

These are all of the things that folks all over this forum are doing to fix this very problem. I may love my new FJR, but i'm not blind to it's faults either. You can make all the excuses you want, but this bike DOES have a serious problem with jerkiness at low rpm. Yes, I know slapping a PCIII will solve the problem. The question is why should i have to spend $700 on a PCIII and a custom map to get something i should have gotten in the first place?

Ignacio, if you want proof? Bring your 06 FJR down and we'll try gridlock rush hour traffic on the 405 in LA for and hour or so as we split lanes. I'm sure you'll come and see it my way afterwards. The throttle response needs to be smooth without jerking the rider.

Ignacio, if you want proof? Bring your 06 FJR down and we'll try gridlock rush hour traffic on the 405 in LA for and hour or so as we split lanes. I'm sure you'll come and see it my way afterwards. The throttle response needs to be smooth without jerking the rider.
I don't have an '06. I have an '05...which should be pretty obvious in my sig and profile.

Even if I did I wouldn't have the luxury of bringing it down.

I don't disbelieve you. I'm just saying that if you think it's a problem in all the '06s and not just your bike....you need to convince use. You and every other affected '06 owner need to start building concensus up on this board by empirical observation. It may turn out that there is an issue.

A couple years ago there were pissed off individuals having to have valve jobs. Then people started posting commonalities, discovering trends, debating, and ultimately reaching a community conclusion that there was a problem. Individuals went to dealers and pressed Yamaha corporate with this shared information. Instead of one disgruntled owner, they increasingly had a body of reasoned information.

You want it to happen with this one you got to go through the process.

Point Taken :unsure:
If only we could get someone from mamayama on this forum. :glare:
You're still not quite getting it my friend

We want mamayama on the forum after you build concensus there is an issue. Until then you're a lone squeaky wheel. I say again, convince the community first and lose the 'pester Yamaha' attitude. It's just vinegar and you really want sugar.

Trust me, sugar will get your farther with the many people that do monitor the forum.

If only we could get someone from mamayama on this forum. :glare:
You must be kidding. How do you think the '06 was created?

-BD
I am sure that Yamaha has people who monitor "public opinion" for want of a better expression and one avenue is the various forums out there. I do believe that yamaha reacted to the points discussed at length over the years by us and that has resulted in the changes in the 06.

Certainly the heat issue has been thoroughly researched and the changes made in the 06 have resulted in great improvements.

There are a great many tweaks we can do and I believe this will be the only way we can "improve" the bike.

For yamaha there are EPA rules as well as litigeous issues to be dealt with that may preclude any action on an 06.

I am sure that with the 07/08 models we will see improvements that address some of our concerns.

I really don't want to sound like I am complaining because I love this bike (fjr1300a 06)! I have also noticed the jerkyness in lower gears. My wife rides a Honda Shadow (I know not even close) and she wanted to take my bike out for a spin but after playing with the throttle in neutral, she decided along with the weight of the bike it might not be a good idea for her to ride it. I do plan to get a PCIII and I am confident that I will be able to improve the situation. The reason for this post is just to verify that I have noticed the perceived issue.

I go ride my Guzzi and the throttle is light as a feather and the power delivery is smooth and torquey. This proves it can be done!

I also have the twitchie throttle response that's prevalent in 1st and 2nd gear. The mods documented on this forum have helped...but there's still some that makes the lower gears a finesse exercise.

Having rode the ZX14, I can tell you that 'that' particular ride is the smoothest bike I've even rode. Therefore it is possible to get high horsepower motors to be smooth with FI.

Am I bitchin' ? Not really as I love this bike. Just adding my voice to the list that there actually 'are' folks that notice a twitchiness on the 06 models that isn't there with earlier one's.

Well, I'm going to add my experience, observations re: The "Infamous non-existent twitchy throttle response coming off idle" problem. I just did $1000 worth of damage to my new (to me) 2006 FJR1300. I made a "quick 180 from a parking stall (or attempted to) There was 2 empty stalls next to me with curbs bordering the front and sides. Plenty of room I thought. Well although I had noticed the "twitchy throttle" ala the engine killing at most stop signs, I had not researched the problem on this site yet. Yes, it was my fault. I should have known to keep the R's up above 1500 and "feather the clutch" to avoid having the engine DIE unexpectedly on start up. OR I could have done the "Trials"/motocross solution and stood up on the outside peg and balance the gravitational forces involved with a full right, slow speed turn. But I didn't I just assumed the engine would continue running under light throttle control and the bike, being so maneuverable, would be a piece of cake to make such a turn. I also should have taken it to a large parking lot and "practised slow full handlebar maneuvers" until I had "dialed" in it's idiosyncrasies. Especially since I have a 29" inseam and can hardly reach the ground, with both toes when a straddle the bike. Well, here is my empirical evidence.. The frigging motor coughed once and died, leaving the bike (and me) to the fate of gravitational forces while leaned over hard. There was not time to react except to tuck and roll as the bike instantly fell over. $1000 later, I have learned my lesson. I will raise myself 2" or lower the bike 2". I have taken all the slack out of the throttle, which was considerable. I will do the throttle spring mod. I will do the Barbarian mod. I will get risers or the equivalent for the 2006. I will get a Rick Mayer or similar seat. Yes, even though it gripes me I will get a PCIII/USB and get it custom mapped if necessary. I will also get a real electronic cruise and throttle lock. I had planned on some of these. Oh I should disclose that this all happened during the first week of ownership. I should have ridden my cruiser while building the learning curve, but the FJR was/is such a rush to drive!!

I am, I think, a little upset with the FI on my 2006 FJR. It has a serial number of A000071, indicating to me it is an "early 2006".

Most of all I am sick that I have so damaged my FJR, which BTW I love to ride. It is an awesome machine and although not perfect IMHO in those areas discussed above, I will do what it takes to "correct" them. Why? Because this is the most fantastic MC I have ever owned and will, after fixing it's problems, be the perfect bike for me and my plans to tour the USA after retirement.

I do find (yes, I know I'm just a "FNG") there is very little tolerance by some on this forum. We can't all be really special people such as engineers or brain surgeons, or quantum physicists, but come-on, we have a brain and we do have common sense.

I must say, coming from the VTXOA (sponsored by an evil Honda dealer/entrepreneur) I have to conclude that it was/is an awesome forum with over 20000 members and unbelievable tech support. God knows the X needed modification and I truly appreciated all they did over there to help me out. I also made some good friends and enjoyed my conversations there. The admins were professional and polite, while maintaining "family values". A thread was established for heated/nasty political or other discussion, but even there civility was enforced.

The only thing we have in common is our FJR's. How we "mod" them or ride them is up to us. I will not make judgements of those coming from "crazy sport bike" venues (Although having driven professionally for 18 years in the SF Bay area I must say most of the really crazy behavior on the freeways is being performed by sport bike riders.) Also most of the bodies I get to drive by with CHP slickers over them are sport bikers and some cruiser drivers. . I would expect to be treated politely on this forum even though I am 60 and come from a "cruiser" background. Heck, in 1964 when I bought my first MC the only sport bike I can recall was something like a beat up Harley Sportster.

Well, I ramble. But the short and long of it is Yes! there is a throttle problem with my 2006 FJR1300 serial number A000071. I will fix it and it will be the perfect bike for me.