Are heated grips worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshaft

Reaction score
Let start by saying that I have Gerbing heated gloves and Synergy heated liner. I do possibly need to add some type of controller for the gloves. I just haven't looked into it to figure out which heat controller is the best.

Anyways, I'm wanting to switch out my grips to something a tad bit thicker (meatier) and add the G2 throttle tamer. I've looked at the grip puppies but there a tad too thick. I like the feel of the BMW grips, the Sunline Grand touring grips look nice but haven't had the chance to feel them.. Anyways I digress. I figure since I'm going to replace the grips I may want to look into installing heated grips at the same time. I've looked into some and there's symtec and daul-start (apparently the same thing), which are pads installed under the grips. There are HotGrips which are grips with wires running through them and a cord hanging out (they have some similar to the BMW sport grips). Oxford Heaterz same as hotgrips but I couldn't find a retailer. All of them do the same thing and I couldn't find conclusion of which is better or worse.

After all this searching and reading I'm still asking the question are adding heated grips worth the time and money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let start by saying that I have Gerbing heated gloves and Synergy heated liner. I do possibly need to add some type of controller for the gloves. I just haven't looked into it to figure out which heat controller is the best.
Anyways, I'm wanting to switch out my grips to something a tad bit thicker (meatier) and add the G2 throttle tamer. I've looked at the grip puppies but there a tad too thick. I like the feel of the BMW grips, the Sunline Grand touring grips look nice but haven't had the chance to feel them.. Anyways I digress. I figure since I'm going to replace the grips I may want to look into installing heated grips at the same time. I've looked into some and there's symtec and daul-start (apparently the same thing), which are pads installed under the grips. There are HotGrips which are grips with wires running through them and a cord hanging out (they have some similar to the BMW sport grips). Oxford Heaterz same as hotgrips but I couldn't find a retailer. All of them do the same thing and I couldn't find conclusion of which is better or worse.

After all this searching and reading I'm still asking the question are adding heated grips worth the time and money?
Well, after riding to MA from VA on Saturday with no heat of any kind for my hands I will be interested to see the responses here. I was comfortable everywhere except my hands. Something heateed for my hands is definitely in my future.!

I used to have the BMW grips with Symtec heaters installed underneath. I was not happy with this setup. The grips got luke warm at best. On a real cold day you could hardly tell they were working. Maybe I had a defective set, but I don't think so. Last week I switched to Hotgrips with the internal ribs. Much warmer. Using the same Heat-troller and wiring as the previous setup. These grips really do get hot. I like the feel, too. I little larger diameter than stock.

BTW, I tried the Sunline Grand Touring grips a long time ago. They are huge. Like little footballs. Reminds me of people that drive cars with the big wooley steering wheel covers. I hated them and took them off real fast. I don't think you would even feel Symtec heaters underneath them since they are so thick.

FWIW my Symtec heaters are installed under the stock Yamaha grips, driven by a Warm'nSafe Heattroller and they get plenty hot. They have to be wired in parrallel, not in series, to get the most heat. I almost never run them at full blast.

The folks at HotGrips are really nice people to deal with. They are located here in the state of New Hampshire.

I do not own a pair yet. But whenever my Symtecs crap out I'll probably get myself a pair of HotGrips.

As to whether they are "worth it", a lot depends on what you have to pay. A set of Symtecs and a controller can be as little as $75 if you do your own install. Definitely worth that. If you have the dealer install the Yamaha heated grips it could run you as much as $400.

I find that having heated grips is something that grows on you. Once you have a set you never want to ride another bike without them.

I like my heated grips (factory style) because they are always with me. I have had them on when it was in the high 60s just to take the chill out of my hands. They are also great because you just switch them on and you don't have to stop and change gloves.

Good luck.

I find that having heated grips is something that grows on you. Once you have a set you never want to ride another bike without them.
Just like Fred W sez!

I installed hot grips on the VFR and have the factory grips on the FJR. I use them routinely (any temps below the mid 60's) but do not have heated gloves. In really cold weather - less than 40 - my thumbs get cold but other than that they are very effective. I would imagine that heated grips with heated gloves are the bomb... but here in the Phoenix area it might be a bit of overkill.

How hard is it to install the Factory Heated Grips? I'd rather not pay someone to do something I can do. Does any one know where I get the best price? D&H?

I have used the Hot Grips for many years and have been totaly satisfied. They come in several styles to suit your needs. They install easy and work well. I would spend the extra to get the controller and not use the hi-lo switch to save power.

With the switch they use just as much power on low as hi but bleed off half of it through a resistor.

I've found that handguards help about as much as heated grips, by keeping the cold air/wind chill off of your fingers.......That being said, I have wrap around grip heaters from Aerostitch on my Versys, I've had the same ones on several bikes. I put them on this time of year, and take them off in the spring. They are only $45.00, and come with a hi/low switch, and work very well for me anyway..

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

One way that some grips can be wired for two levels of heat is using a switch to configure the two grips in parallel for the high heat setting and the two grips in series for low heat. That way you aren't wasting a bunch of power just heating up a big ceramic series resistor.

Like this: Clicky

By the way, the above is a link to Forum Member mcatrophy's web site. Chock full of great stuff, IMO. I have it bookmarked!

How hard is it to install the Factory Heated Grips? I'd rather not pay someone to do something I can do. Does any one know where I get the best price? D&H?
Not that hard. If you have a complete factory kit, with the instructions, its pretty straight forward. It took me an hour or two. Also, UselessPickles thread, with great pics on his installation, helped immensely: Factory Heated Grips Install Thread.

This is the first bike I've had with heated grips (factory Yam) and now I can't believe I've never put them on any other bike. With regular gloves (non insulated), I can ride down to 45 degrees with the grips cranked up and stay comfortably warm. Next purchase will be some H2O/windproof gloves and I should be good to well below freezing.

I luvs my heated grips (Symtex under Pro Gel Grips w/ Heat-Troller dash mount (partway down the page). I used the heat-shrink tubing on the page linked above on the left bar, and two throttle-side grips, to keep even heat coming through the same-sized grips and matching heating elements. The setup allows me to use my Cycleport Kevlar gloves all year, with raincovers when wet or extremely cold. A lot to be said for good tactile feel and feedback from the bars....

QUOTE (crankshaft @ Oct 19 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... are adding heated grips worth the time and money?

I don't have heated gloves, so I'm not wired to the bike, which means less fiddling and not being caught out by a cold snap without the right gloves.

Using the factory heated grips I was quite comfortable in 2 - 4 C (35 to 39F) for a 240 mile journey, moving average speed 60mph. Just a couple of stops for fuel in and water out (described here). IMHO, they're great. I would not be without them.

I also helped my son fit Oxford heated grips to his Hornet, changed his first winter's riding from painful to enjoyable.

QUOTE (Fred W @ Oct 19 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One way that some grips can be wired for two levels of heat is using a switch to configure the two grips in parrallel for the high heat setting and the two grips in series for low heat. That way you aren't wasting a bunch of power just heating up a big ceramic series resistor.

Like this: Clicky

By the way, the above is a link to Forum Member mcatrophy's web site. Chock full of great stuff, IMO. I have it bookmarked!

Thanks for the advert, Fred, you've at least trebled my site's hits over the last few hours!

Yes, that link shows my homemade heated grips on my Trophy, also a well worthwhile exercise, and excellent value for money (my employer footed the modest cost of the bits, sh, don't tell him).

I've got Hotgrips on my FJ and factory heat on the FJR. Wouldn't own a bike without them. That being said, with the gloves I have, when it gets below 30 deg I pretty much have to break out the old pair of Widder gloves. I might try the FirstGear TPG gloves to see if I can go lower with the grips.