Product Review--Z-Wax Anti-Fogger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I bought a set of this stuff at the big MC show last month, and I've had a chance to try each kind they bundled together--the paste wax, the "spritz" and the drip bottle. Same stuff I guess. None of it works at all. Inside of the face shield fogs up with the first breath in chilly air. Not cold air, mind you. Sacramento chilly air.

Interestingly, the only product I've found that seems to do much of anything actually has the word "crap" in its name--Cat Crap. Since I don't feel like wearing a jet pilot mask under my helmet like some people, guess I'll keep with that till I find something better.

If you happen to see "Z-Wax" at the next MC show, give the guy my regards. And tell him to send me twenty bucks.

p.s. Does anyone know of a product that actually works to prevent fogging up? Other than major physical air-deflection gizmos? Thanks.

Back in my hockey playing days, the trick was to rub shampoo on the inside of our visors and buff it. Worked OK for a while. But on the bike, I just make sure my visor is cleaned with lens cleaner (which is a drop of dish soap in isopropanol & water). If the helmet doesn't have a good chin vent, then you might have to crack the visor open one notch.

I buy helmets with the Pinlock inserts, like my Nolan flip-ups. They don't fog up at all. The area around the insert will be totally fogged and there might be condensation running off the Pinlock, but it's still perfectly clear. Edit: oh yeah, and they work a helluva lot better than the old Fog City Face Shields and things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy helmets with the Pinlock inserts, like my Nolan flip-ups. They don't fog up at all. The area around the insert will be totally fogged and there might be condensation running off the Pinlock, but it's still perfectly clear. Edit: oh yeah, and they work a helluva lot better than the old Fog City Face Shields and things like that.
+1 On the Pin Lock Shield they work great, not that expensive

I bought a set of this stuff at the big MC show last month, and I've had a chance to try each kind they bundled together--the paste wax, the "spritz" and the drip bottle.
Ugh, those Zooke carnival barkers are the worst! :evil: Definitely the lowlight of any MC show I've gone to, and if you have glasses like me you quickly become a target. I got taken in by their BS a few years ago, and I leave the little jar of their sh***y snake oil around to remind me to stay vigilant.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the "jet fighter" types, so I don't have much to offer. I will say that one of the benefits of something like the Foggy Mask is that it somehow keeps your helmet warmer. Anyway, good luck with your search. And let's be careful out there at the MC shows! ;)

p.s. Does anyone know of a product that actually works to prevent fogging up? Other than major physical air-deflection gizmos? Thanks.
I'm using "Fog-off". Maybe it helps a little, but until my head, the helmet, and visor all approach some magical isotemperature, I have to ride with my visor cracked (all the way open when no air flow). About 5 miles into my commute, I can close my visor for the rest of the commute. If you want to meet up, you're welcome to grab a visor-spritz-full so you can test it for yourself.

Hm, wonder if I should stash my lid in the house instead of the garage - Maybe I'll hit the magic temperature quicker...experiment time - of course, I'll undoubtedly forget why I left the helmet in the @$^#%& house instead of the garage tomorrow morning.

I have a fix- Move out of that fog bank Sacramento Valley. No problems up here in the sun.

Sorry boys I couldn't help it. I did my time down there years ago, that valley fog sucks.

I wear a Schubreth which comes with a special anti fog coating. What a load of crap, that helmet fogs worse than my Shoei, but it is a quiet helmet for long trips.

I bought a set of this stuff at the big MC show last month, and I've had a chance to try each kind they bundled together--the paste wax, the "spritz" and the drip bottle. Same stuff I guess. None of it works at all. Inside of the face shield fogs up with the first breath in chilly air. Not cold air, mind you. Sacramento chilly air.
Interestingly, the only product I've found that seems to do much of anything actually has the word "crap" in its name--Cat Crap. Since I don't feel like wearing a jet pilot mask under my helmet like some people, guess I'll keep with that till I find something better.

If you happen to see "Z-Wax" at the next MC show, give the guy my regards. And tell him to send me twenty bucks.

Yeah a bought a small jar of that a few years ago at the Seattle show. Does not work AT ALL. Hmm... I remember many years ago when I was fooling around with SCUBA diving, you could buy products to apply to the inside of your face mask that would prevent fogging. Wonder if they still make any of that stuff? Now I remem, it was SPIT. A nice big sticky loogy, let it dry for a little while, good to go.

I, too, fell for the Zooke song and dance at the IMS two or three years ago. The stuff is worthless garbage. My shield fogged up and the stuff actually made the visibility worse. I noted that the song and dance included a "money back guarantee if not satisfied". I emailed the address on their web-site and never got a reply. I finally got a phone number and called. They told me I had to return the products at next year's show. Which I did. I walked up to the guy in the middle of his song and dance and requested my refund. He started to him and haw, but I started talking about how bad the product was, with a crowd of potential customers standing by, as well as the fact I spoke with so and so at the company and they directed me to do this. He quickly peeled off a twenty and handed it to me.

So....if you still have the crap, take it back. Zooke sucks and is a complete waste of money.

I am now a devoted pinlock user. I'm still amazed at how well it works.

Fog Tech available from the Stich folks works for me.
That stuff is also available direct from the manufacturer: Motosolutions Clicky. I've tried the Fogtech product, and it seems to work OK, but for me the jury is still out.

Their other product - Raincoat - is da bomb. That stuff works like a champ, both on a windshield and on a helmet visor. Did anyone mention that it rained at SFO? And EOM??

Pinlock is the best. Well tested here in the Pacific Northwet.
https://pinlockusa.net/
Ditto

Gunny and

+1

to this suggestion. I've tried the zooke, rainx defogger, some yellow bottle of defogger and foggy mask. Nothing even comes close to the effectiveness of a pinlock! I ride daily in cold rainy weather and absolutely no fogging.

Do you consider a 'breathbox' or whatever your helmet manufacturer calls it a 'major' physical deflection gizmo?

Honestly, I popped one of those in my helmet, and left it in for the cold weather season. I'll take it back out in the spring, probably about the same time I stop wearing a sweatshirt under my jacket. Once I adjusted the bendy nose bit, I haven't had to touch it, and I honestly forget it is even in there. I found this much less of a PIA that applying anti-fog coatings that worked like crap for a couple days and then not at all until reapplied. I've heard pinlocks work well, but some people are more bothered than others by the optical artifacts caused by having a double-lens.

Another option is just get a snowmobile helmet. You can get a double lens, double lens and breath box, or double lens and fighter-pilot style sealed breathing apparatus (this is what I consider 'major' deflectoin gizmo) OR you can get one with electric defrost.

Chris

p.s. Does anyone know of a product that actually works to prevent fogging up?
I'm using "Fog-off".
Yeah, Mike.

[SIZE=14pt]Fog off!![/SIZE]

:D

(Whether it works or not, it just feels good suggesting it to you.)
At the coffee shop this morning, for my Senior Citizen's Discount Breakfast, I asked my fellow Arizona geezer buddies about this "Fog" thing you guys are talking about. Nobody here in Phoenix has any idea what "Fog" is! Is this like a snipe hunt?

Hm, wonder if I should stash my lid in the house instead of the garage
That DOES help, as the pinlock doesn't keep the flip-down sun visor from fogging. I started keeping my helmet in the house and now the sun visor is usable by the time I hit the end of the block, instead of after waiting a couple stoplights.