2003 stammer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer

Reaction score
HELP :blink: I have a all stock 2003 FJR (almost 80,000 miles) except K&N air cleaner with a miss in the engine It is very noticeable from 0 to 40 mph (stammers on take off innless you launch it) but you can still feel it at higher speeds but will still run over 130 mph easy. One dealership said it was my valves so I had them set, that did not fix it, Another dealer said it was my spark plug boots so we replaced both coils all 4 wires & boots & spark plugs still did not fix it (all 4 of the old plugs looked great just a light tan color). I have good compression,TPS is new and set right per oam meter & dash,throttle bodies are set, There are no codes on the dash, ran 2 bottles of 44K Injector cleaner through it, I cannot find any vacuum leaks, What should I do next?

Just curious if the problem is also present when the bike "not under load", like sitting on the center stand in neutral and rev it to 5K+ rpms?

Just curious if the problem is also present when the bike "not under load", like sitting on the center stand in neutral and rev it to 5K+ rpms?

I have had the bike for almost 5 years & has ran perfect till now. I think so but the exhaust has always had a sound like it could be missing (sounds like other FJRs) but if you set on the bike on the center stand in neutral and rev it up you cant feel it.

HELP :blink: I have a all stock 2003 FJR (almost 80,000 miles) except K&N air cleaner with a miss in the engine It is very noticeable from 0 to 40 mph (stammers on take off innless you launch it) but you can still feel it at higher speeds but will still run over 130 mph easy. One dealership said it was my valves so I had them set, that did not fix it, Another dealer said it was my spark plug boots so we replaced both coils all 4 wires & boots & spark plugs still did not fix it (all 4 of the old plugs looked great just a light tan color). I have good compression,TPS is new and set right per oam meter & dash,throttle bodies are set, There are no codes on the dash, ran 2 bottles of 44K Injector cleaner through it, I cannot find any vacuum leaks, What should I do next?
Hammer,

Check this out with your Bike:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry268059

I had a similar problem and about 4 5Star mechanics overlooked this and misdiagnosed/repairs on my bike.

Also, make sure you have some Top Tier Gas...you may have got a bad tank.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer,

I had a similar problem and about 4 5Star mechanics overlooked this and misdiagnosed/repairs on my bike.

Also, make sure you have some Top Tier Gas...you may have got a bad tank.

Hope this helps.

I will check the electrical connection this week end. I did dump the gas out when I had the tank off so i could also look at the screen on the fuel pump & check for water or dirt/rust. I then refilled the tank with premium fuel & injector cleaner but after 3 tanks of fuel no luck. Thanks, I am willing to try about anything at this point. I even told the FJR if it didn't straiten up I was going to trade it for a HONDA :unsure: still didn't help :glare:

Thanks for the help!!!!

Hammer,

I will check the electrical connection this week end. I did dump the gas out when I had the tank off so i could also look at the screen on the fuel pump & check for water or dirt/rust. I then refilled the tank with premium fuel & injector cleaner but after 3 tanks of fuel no luck.
Hammer,

A couple of more things to look at:

Make sure your Idle is set at Least 1100 RPM... sometimes we forget to Redo the Idle Settings after some maintenance is done.

Make sure your Coil Wires/Connections are not shorting out... I have found when you take off the plastic and do a remount, it can push/Bend the Coil Connection Tangs to shorting position. Below are the Pic's.

1FjrCoils001.jpg

FjrCoils002.jpg

FjrCoils003.jpg

Make Sure the Bottom Tang does not Touch the Center Post on the Coil as shown by the Arrows. (I also Isolated & Insulated All the Plugs wires from touching each other or Any Metal Object.)

1FjrCoils001.jpg

Also, see if your FJR is throwing any Codes in the Diagnostic Panel:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry117762

Be patient... at least it runs and hope you find the solution! It better be, this is my Luck 1000th post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your Coil Wires/Connections are not shorting out... I have found when you take off the plastic and do a remount, it can push/Bend the Coil Connection.

I pulled the tank today & T brace to check the electrical plug ins. There was some green on some of the connectors. I was running short on time so Ill clean them on Saturday & then take it for a ride depending on how much snow we get. I am really hopeing this will solve my problem, this has been a real pain. I will also check the coils while i'm there.

Thanks for the help

The main harness corrosion is common on the Gen I's including my 04. The dealer couldn't find it either.

Once cleaned and greased with dilectric grease, runs great!!! Make sure you grease it with di-liectric after cleaning. Haven't had a problem since and its been 4-5 years....

Hammer.

You also may have a clogged Air Filter. Take it out and run the bike and see how it runs.

This also could be a Air Starvation problem.

You also may have a clogged Air Filter. Take it out and run the bike and see how it runs.

This also could be a Air Starvation problem.

K&N filter looks like new. I can get the bike out tomorrow but I think cleaning & lubeing the wires worked. At least it sounds better in the shop. :yahoo: :dntknw:

Hammer,

Glad to hear the Good New! Let us know what happens when you really take it out.

If you cleaned the Connectors/Wires etc, more than likely that was your problem.

May the force be with you...

Let us know what happens when you really take it out.

If you cleaned the Connectors/Wires etc, more than likely that was your problem.

Well that seamed to solve my problem. When the engine was cold it ran almost perfect but after the engine warmed up to running temp it started to stutter again, it was not as bad but still there so I will try to clean them & other wires a little better & see if I missed any corrosion.

OK, well no luck it still stammers, but on the Happy side its not as bad, so I think that was 10% of the problem. It is worse after it warms up to operating temperature. I have cleaned the air filter & every wire (coils connectors injectors ecu TPS O2) & some wires that I don't even know what they go to. I'm think maybe the ECU.......I mean what's left? So does any body have one? My # are P505E-0000190...35p505E0000190....F8T919....71 5JW-30 2516

OK, well no luck it still stammers, but on the Happy side its not as bad, so I think that was 10% of the problem. It is worse after it warms up to operating temperature. I have cleaned the air filter & every wire (coils connectors injectors ecu TPS O2) & some wires that I don't even know what they go to. I'm think maybe the ECU.......I mean what's left? So does any body have one? My # are P505E-0000190...35p505E0000190....F8T919....71 5JW-30 2516
Sell it to me cheap, and I will put it into speech therapy.

At this point that may help :rolleyes: because I have been teaching it a few choice words in at least 2 languages.

Thanks for the updates and please keep them coming. My '05 has some issues that sound a lot like yours and I've tried the usual stuff to fix it...TBS, TPS, connector funk minimal but cleaned, new plugs, barbarian mod with +5 on the co, techron. I bought the bike used 6 months ago with 15k on the clock and it's always had the same issue. Accelerates fine but it's got some audible popping at idle, it's worse from 1.5 to 2k rpm but there is some popping on up to at least 5k rpm. The surging is more noticeable when it gets hotter and it makes riding in stop and go traffic annoying. Going to check the spark plug wire to boot connections and fuel filter next. Don't know what else to look at. I love this bike and hope these issues aren't "normal".

Well I got luck. I bought an ECU today off of Ebay Item number 220515610491. Before I bought it I called the guy & he realized is was a miss print (02) but the good thing is all the # from my ECU matched his # so he will mail it Monday, so By next weekend I should be Stammer free :russian_roulette: . The dealer wanted 995.00 + tax for the new part.

Hammer,

The '03 in the states is the '02 in Europe. How did you determne that you needed to replace the ECU?

Hope it works for you.

Well I started at the headlight and started working my way back & i'm now at the seat :D . coils,spark plug wires,spark plugs,spark plug boots, had valves set, synchronized throttle bodies,checked & cleaned wire connectors,TPS,air cleaner & injectors. I just figured while I was there might as well.