Am I in trouble? Drive shaft pulled out of pumpkin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
Had the tires off for new rubber, so it's also time to lube the splines, etc.

This is a first for me. I pulled my drive train off to lube the splines, BTDT no issues before. While re-installing the drive unit, the rear end of the U-joint was lodged into the swing arm and was binding so I had to pull the drive shaft back out. While doing so, the drive shaft pulled from the pumpkin. The oil seal washer and retaining ring were on the drive shaft, oil leaked out, etc. I carefully popped the drive shaft seal assy back in, the spring is also in, it gives some resistance and float when the suspension is working. My question is, did something break or come apart that shouldn't have? I looked in the manual and it doesn't look like any other items keep it in place. BTW - The manual does no justice at all to how it actually looks, the exploded assembly sequence looks totally off compared to how it really is.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't be a problem.

The seal normally holds the drive shaft in place rather tight.

Mine came appart the very first time I did the drive line lube.

So long as it hasn't damaged the seal.

Cheers

Clicky HERE young grasshopper for the path to driveshaft enlightenment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...I'm sure glad I saw this now. I pulled my drive shaft and pumpkin when I did my last tire change. If the shaft would have pulled out of the pumpkin and oil would have started spilling, I would have shit myself. Now I know it's not that big of deal. I am glad that my rear seal seems to be tight, because I did pull on the shaft a little bit. Thankfully it didn't pop out...My curiosity couldn't help it, and that last sentence leaves a lot open for discussion.

Haha...Great write ups guys!