Great Ride in NE Washington until...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
First of all the doctors said they are both going to make full recoveries. It will take some time though as they both have multiple factures. They have requested that no one try to go see them or call them other than their immediate family at this time. They have a support group in place and I will post up their "caring bridge" site once that is fully set up.

[SIZE=12pt]EDIT: here is the caringbridge site to contact them and follow their recovery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davidcolleenkillough[/SIZE]

For donations on behalf of BR and Mrs. that will benefit Stevens County EMT Program: Donate

They have already said they will be reaching out for help in the near future, but wait until they ask so they are not overwhelmed. Much like Tyler's incident, they need a lot of rest and have several surgeries ahead of them.

The ride report (aka SkooterG style):

The day started at 6:30 Saturday morning when Beamer Reamer and & Mrs. met us at the I-90/SR 18 wiegh station to ride up to Arlington to meet up with Panman and Neihart. (thank you mrs. niehert for giving him a weekend pass - little did we know how much we would need his help later in the day)

BR & Mrs., Mrs. Auburn and I headed fro Arlington and got there a few minutes to 8AM. Had a quick breakfaast and were on our way. Panman and BR planned a 550 mile route over SR 20 (North Cascades Hwy.) The weather was fantastic, it was the first real sunny day on the west side and temps were already in the low 60's.

I was having trouble getting the route into my Zumo, so BR walked me through it, then Niehart had me load it into his Zumo. We all had the route in our Garmins and were ready to roll. Did I say it was a very nice day? It was forecasted to be the first day in the 70's in 9 months.

We head out SR 530 then caught SR 20 at Rockport and headed east. There was almost no traffic, the raod was clean, dry and smooth.

Here are a couple of pictures from my "pillion paparazzi" (thanks Biker Geek - my wife fits the description too) on SR 20.

003.jpg

001.jpg

035.jpg

059.jpg

We stopped in Twisp for gas and lunch about noon. Saddled up and headed east. Eventually we ended up on US 97 headed north and then found several back raods that parralled the north side of SR 20 heading east of Omak. Sorry no pictures there, wife got tired of taking them. Panman had some realy good backroads that we went over.

We came back into SR 20/US 395 north west of Kettle Falls about 4:30 in the evening. We were about 100 miles from completing a loop around the north end of the feeder rivers/lakes of Roosevelt Lake. We turned off SR 20/US 395 crossing the Kettle Falls river and headed up the north side of the river, which was more like a lake at this point.

ABout 6 miles up the road it comes back along the river/lake. We had all slowed down and were looking at the lake about 70 feet below us. Panman was leader, then Beamer Reamer, us and Niehart was sweeping with about 100-150 feet between each of us in single line.

Then out of nowhere for below the road. this jumped in the road about 2 feet infront of BR and Mrs.

096.jpg

The deer caused them to go to the right once it fell off the front of the bike. With them headed down to the water. If you could draw the perfect sidehill ride on a dirt bike, BR did it. He missed two fir trees that were about 20 feet apart, the stumps, the rocks, everything. The slop is at least a 2:1 if not steeper. He anlged down at about a 6:1 slope. The hit the water and got flipped of the bike, with her landing in about 2-3 feet of water and him being thrown further out into the water.

This where the bike landed

100.jpg

I parked just above them, and head straight down the hill to them, my wife was on the cell calling 911. Niehart was assitiing her and then coming down the hill. Panman still didn't know we had stopped until he was about 2 miles up the road before he turned around.

I went straight down the hill, got to her about a minute after they hit the water. She was sitting up and doing OK. I continued downstream as the current was pulling him away from shore and downstream. He was already about 40 feet from shore and 100 feet downstream. I got mu leather jacket and spine protector off and dove in after him. His helmet and back protector were acting just enopugh like a floatation device. By the time I got to him we were about 60 feet from shore kind in a rip tide type current. I grabbed his pants and slowly started bring him in letting the current push us, but gaining ground to shore while makeign sure I didn't pull him under. About 10 feet from shore and before I could touch he saw me and started to struggle. I got him calmed down while staying baout 10 feet from shore, but it had move us another 100 feet down stream. By the time Niehart checked her out more fully and was on his way to us. He could feel everything and and was moving both legs including his broken one. That was good news, he was not having any difficulty breathing or coughing or anything. And he was awake.

BR was banged up pretty good and had obvious brken bones, thankfully none showing. Niehart and I got him turned around and cleared a spot on shore to rest his shoulders on. BR wass telling us he had back pain, rib pain and leg pain. Since he wasn't bleeding and due to the location of hte pain, we let his lower body float in the river and started checking over. About 5 minutes after teh accident, the first sheriff was on scene and told us the EMT's were on their way, the ambulance and a helecopter.

A guy riding his quad up the road stopped to help. He came down to assistup with BR. We sent him back over to help Mrs. BR and keep her calm. This guy was amazing!

About 7-10 minutes later the first EMT arrived. He had a back board with him so we could start getting BR on it and out of the water. ABout 5 minutes later the rest of the EMT's and the ambulance arrived. All of the EMT's are volumteers in this county. What an outstanding group of professionals!

They took over and got things situated. A couple of boaters came by to assist. Thank God! We were able to put them on the fornt of their boats and take them to a campground about 1/2 mile up river. The helicopter laned just as the boats were headed to the campground.

About 45 mintues after the accident, the got him out on a helicopter and her out in an ambulance. Unfortunately to separate hospitals. They later transported her to the same hospital he was sent too.

Starting to drag the bike up the hill

131.jpg

Bent forks

148.jpg

The rescue crew after everything had calmed down about 2 hours after the accident

159.jpg

I got to say a lot of little things happened right. Starting with BR getting to teh water without hitting anything. Where I parked was the only cell coverage as long as you stayed in a 3' circle. All of the fiorst responders got there just as they were need, the boaters that volunteered to tranport them to the campground, the quad rider who kept her calm and assisted her, the professionalism of all of hte volunteers.

All of these things combined to bring about the best possible outcome considering the situation that was dealt.

I will post the caring bridge link once it is ready.

EDIT: now for one funny thing in this whole thing. After two hours under about 6-10 feet of water, the Zumo 550 was fully functioning and telling us where it was at and how far to the next turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear things worked out as well as they did. Sending prayers their way for speedy recoveries.

And I'm REALLY GLAD to see that forest-rat with it's guts hanging out!

Glad to hear things worked out as well as they did. Sending prayers their way for speedy recoveries.
And I'm REALLY GLAD to see that forest-rat with it's guts hanging out!
It was a two for one shot, a pregnant doe with a full term fawn that was not born yet. Neither survived.

First of all, thank you for this report, and for your role in the rescue. Amazing you were there to do that and how all the elements came together. But GOD, that's scary and shitty. Beautiful clear day, open road, and then to have that happen! I hope we all take a long pause and think about all that, while riding and especially when getting ready to dress for a ride on the hot days coming up.

So glad BR and his wife appear to be headed toward a good recovery, and my thoughts and support will be added to everyone else's. I'm sorry to see I probably won't be able to meet them at WFO--at least this year. Wishing all involved the very best.

I went straight down the hill, got to her about a minute after they hit the water. She was sitting up and doing OK. I continued downstream as the current was pulling him away from shore and downstream. He was already about 40 feet from shore and 100 feet downstream. I got mu leather jacket and spine protector off and dove in after him. His helmet and back protector were acting just enopugh like a floatation device. By the time I got to him we were about 60 feet from shore kind in a rip tide type current. I grabbed his pants and slowly started bring him in letting the current push us, but gaining ground to shore while makeign sure I didn't pull him under. About 10 feet from shore and before I could touch he saw me and started to struggle. I got him calmed down while staying baout 10 feet from shore, but it had move us another 100 feet down stream. By the time Niehart checked her out more fully and was on his way to us. He could feel everything and and was moving both legs including his broken one. That was good news, he was not having any difficulty breathing or coughing or anything. And he was awake.

Great job Bryan, I don't think there are very many riders that could jump off their bikes and make a solo river water rescue like you did. It's pretty amazing how a peaceful weekend ride can turn into a fight for survival in just a couple of seconds but this is another example of how important it is to have riding partners in rural areas.

Spokane is not that far from me and I was planning to visit Dave and Colleen during their recovery but will hold off until its appropriate. Thanks for posting!

... getting ready to dress for a ride on the hot days coming up.

We were talking with the ER nurse that was attending to Mrs. BR, about the gear worn. I told we dress for the crash because you never know if it will happen. Thankfully they were in full AGATT. The nurse said there was another motorcyclist a couple of doors over that probably wishes he was. Sounded like he had a good case of road rash.

Sounds like if you hadn't been there, he might have drowned. Good job!
I hate deer...
I am glad to ride with these guys in the PNW. I am sure that if something unfortunate ever happens that the same level of help and friendship is there. Good on you guys for being there to help BR and his wife.

Get well soon BR and Mrs. BR. Let us know if there is anything we can do from Seattle area.

Wow! I don't know you guys well, but I did have a great time running behind Auburn and BR during the Raid on Maupin ride last fall. I will say that probably my greatest worry in my day to day riding, which is mostly in rural SW Washington and around Portland, is hitting a deer. My thoughts and wishes for a complete recovery go out to BR and Mrs.

Please pass on my best wishes! Thank God it came out as good as it did; your role was pivotal in this mess. I'm sure all of our thoughts will be with them in the difficult times ahead.

ATGATT!!!

First of all the doctors said they are both going to make full recoveries. It will take some time though as they both have multiple factures. They have requested that no one try to go see them or call them other than their immediate family at this time. They have a support group in place and I will post up their "caring bridge" site once that is fully set up.
They have already said they will be reaching out for help in the near future, but wait until they ask so they are not overwhelmed. Much like Tyler's incident, they need a lot of rest and have several surgeries ahead of them.
Ok, I'm tearing up here at my desk at the thought of all of this. Many kudos to you and the rescue team - fellow riders and EMT folks - for staying calm and focused and doing a stellar job! You folks made a huge difference in getting them help and to the hospital! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Having been where they're at, please let them know I am sending thoughts, prayers, and some of that magic juju that worked miracles for me. If there is anything I can do, send a card, an email of support, please let me know.

I will keep an eye out for the CaringBridge info... that, too, is one really wonderful asset to those going through medical things like this.

"Dude! They killed [bambi]!" 1 1/2 down, thousands more to go.... :assassin:

Holy shit! Talk about a sphincter puckerer..! Big, big kudos to you fellow PNW'ers for keeping your heads and doing the right things. :clapping:

Here's wishing Mr. & Mrs. BR a speedy, speedy recovery!

Thanks for the report Bryan. My prayers and thoughts are with Beamer and Mrs.

I just have to say that the PNW group are GREAT people and I'm proud to say I've hungout with them and will continue to support them in anyway.

Dave

PS. I'll be up in the Spokane area this weekend (18th-20th). If possible, I could bring things up for anyone in my area that would like me too. All depending on if they are wanting visitors.

Thank God they are going to be alright and they had you folks as their Guardian Angels, to be there looking after them! Stanley Boys are sending our heartfelt prayers for their speedy and full recovery.