SS1K for 3 and the start of a Bunburner for another

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
It started with 6 riders leaving their homes to meet in Sonora, California. TwoWheelNut came the furthest as he made his way North East from Carpenteria which is around 360+ miles from our meeting place. Bluestreek came South from Marysville, which is about 157 miles away and everyone else was within 100 miles and therefore don't warrant mention. That is, of course, for Skyway. He only came three miles, but he came with documentation packages for everyone that made this introduction to the IBA as easy as anyone could imagine.

Frankly, I cannot thank Skyway enough. I literally only have to fill in the blanks on forms he created and I'm good to go. Yeah, I had to ride but for me riding is the easy part. Documentation is the pain in the ass that I try to avoid and without being asked to, Skyway took care of all of this and more. Thanks!!!

Let's examine some of what Skyway did for us:

1) Came up with the route

2) Identified 24 hour gas stations to stop at in approximately 150 mile intervals

3) Documented their address

4) Created forms for us to fill in the local time and odometer statements by each gas station identified

5) Created a map and highlighted the route and identified each stop with a sticker

6) Did this 6 times

7) Collected everyones personal contact and medical information in case of emergency

8) Arranged for a witness at the start/stop location

All we had to do is ride, collect receipts and write down time and odomter readings. Wow. Did I say THANKS? [SIZE=14pt]THANKS AGAIN!!![/SIZE]

I was going to wait for someone else to write this up, but I have few opportunities to do this type of work and I might as well write it up when I can. Therefore, if anyone else wanted to write the ride report up, sorry I'm beating you to the punch.

Most of my pictures come from the first half of the day. After than, I put my camera away due to battery malfunctions and saved it for a few good moments. Luckily, the first part of the ride was Sonora Pass and the scenery was nice.

We all arrived at the Peppery Gar & Brill (yep) in Sonora and here is the first photo of the bikes and Bluestreek.

DSC07141.jpg

Here is the group that met and departed the next morning (except for me).

circling from left to right:

Twowheelnut (Tim), Jackson (BMW R1200RT rider), Skyway (Ian), Bluestreek (Steve), Matt (Forum name?)

DSC07143.jpg

We ate, discussed the ride, went over the requirements and the doc packages and scheduled our meeting time for the next day.

The morning of the ride, twowheelnut gets ready to ride to breakfast.

DSC07144.jpg

After breakfast we mulled around as we got ready to go to the gas station. Skyway's wife (Kristy) took this shot so I actually got in one!

DSC07150.jpg

We all made it to the station. Even bluestreek

DSC07156.jpg

preparations

DSC07157.jpg

Hmm...that FJR looks fast

DSC07159.jpg

That beverage holder looks super trick dude!

DSC07161.jpg

Twowheelnut waves to bluestreek

DSC07163.jpg

It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride. For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,000 miles and then continue on the second day and ride another 500 miles or more. Should you complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride and want certificates for both, please see the attached fee schedule.

Then we rode. Up 108 to Sonora Pass

DSC07165.jpg

One of the too few passing lanes gave me this opportunity for a morning sun shot of Jackson on his RT

DSC07168.jpg

The Sierra offer such great diversity. As you travel from one side to the other on one of these great passes, you have very different environments and scenes unfold for you as you carve the folds of the road with your bike.

DSC07181.jpg

Campers' fires fill this valley with pine smoke and I reminisce about backpacking trips gone by

DSC07185.jpg

The Fall colors are ablaze too

DSC07187.jpg

I got lucky and timed this shot for a gap in the trees

DSC07195.jpg

Sherri likes rocks...here's a picture for her for a change

DSC07197.jpg

and another

DSC07198.jpg

Ride into your own personal space. It's easy here.

DSC07199.jpg

Snow capped mountains tell of the upcoming season during which this road will be closed,

DSC07203.jpg

I want to hear the REAL story.. the highs and lows of the ride.. the ebb an flow of the ride.. when you felt you had it made easy.....and when you felt it.. well, maybe, it just ain't worth it... O'vale I know you can write the poetry I'm looking for.. You know.. the personal element of the ride.. It can't be easy.. :blink: .. and CONGRATS dudes... CONGRATS.. Skyway... you have a way just suckering them in, doncha... :D

6 riders on Sonora going up

DSC07208.jpg

Notice the two riders ahead of me...a few switchbacks on this road

DSC07209.jpg

DSC07210.jpg

Should I be taking pictures at times like this?

DSC07214.jpg

The USMC trains here, this is nearing the end of 108.

DSC07218.jpg

See:

DSC07222.jpg

We then took 395 South. This section of 395 is in California still and our route had us take 120 East into Nevada.

I really like the Western slope of the Sierra. The mountains are a lot more obvious from this side than from where I live.

DSC07226.jpg

I didn't get this one straight, but the one I took right after this to make sure I got at least one good shot was worse. I think it's still worth posting

DSC07231.jpg

I like this shot. It reminds me of the word: distance

DSC07233.jpg

We rode by this GL in Bridgeport, Ca

DSC07234.jpg

The Bridgeport Inn - I am intrigued by tiny little towns. This life is very foreign to me, and I really would like to learn more about life in a town like this.

DSC07235.jpg

Whats this all standing around at daylight. You should have already had a tank burned by then.

Seriously, Congratulations, planning is the hardest, the ride is the easy part.

My hat's off to all you guys - Excellent Job !! Wish I was there.

And I'm glad that you all came through it unscathed. Safe is best.

And let's hope that TWN found all of his receipts.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I see Dcarver is already in requesting the highs and lows. I didn't hit the lows yet...heck, so far I've only shown the first 2.5 hours. Therefore, you're reading the high. We all felt good and Sonora Pass rocked. A low is coming up!

This section of 395 was on a section where it is a 4 lane road. This allowed me to ride next to people and try to get them with nice scenery behind the shot. Here's what I can offer up from this section of 395 just North of Mono Lake

Twowheelnut

DSC07240.jpg

Bluestreek

DSC07242.jpg

Skyway

DSC07244.jpg

Taking a truck and a picture in the turn with Mono Lake in the shot: HIGH

DSC07250.jpg

A couple with Twowheelnut, Bluestreek and Skyway with Mono Lake

DSC07253.jpg

DSC07257.jpg

You can catch bikes in pics, or you can catch fall colors. Catching both is nice and this is the best I could do

DSC07258.jpg

I took two pics of Mono lake from near this location, and both had the stupid snow markers right in the middle of them

DSC07260.jpg

FJR's through Lee Vining

DSC07263.jpg

Gassing up on the Eastern side of Tioga Pass...not to be conquered today, but a ride I'll certainly do many more times in my days

DSC07265.jpg

A view West toward Tioga/Yosemite

DSC07267.jpg

The view East over Mono Lake

DSC07269.jpg

They had a trapeze :blink:

DSC07270.jpg

Another shot looking West

DSC07268.jpg

Okay, we started with 6 riders...and now we're down to 4. Everyone is healthy and all I know is Matt and Jackson wanted to go do something else. I hope I didn't crowd Jackson when I was sweeping and trying to get good pics of him!!!

From Lee Vining, we cruised to 120. This was a first for me. Talk about a barrel of fun!!! If you haven't done it before, when you get to the section where they warn you about dips...uhh...take the warning seriously. There were a few times I left my seat and pegs and I'm glad that I didn't go through there at 120 because this road, I think, would take some practice and knowledge of what's coming. Once you practiced it, I imagine it's better than any rollercoaster.

I took no pics. With my ass off the seat, feet off the pegs, my hands were holding on for dear life and the camera just kinda floated around like I was on the space shuttle in orbit or something. The scenery was great too. It really looks like a great place to go hiking and camping.

Where 120 hits 6, there is Benton. Oh Benton hot springs...this place is...um...charming?

DSC07272.jpg

Their biggest building and something tells me they are still really proud of the building Grandpa built...and that everyone in town is related to Grandpa Benton. I, of course, am not sure about this.

DSC07273.jpg

What's this place?

DSC07274.jpg

Skyway showing up to say, "And then there were four..."

DSC07275.jpg

DSC07273.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, by the time I can download all the pix, I could have done my own SS1k... sigh.. :rolleyes: . I'm just jealous... Congrats guys...

Then the camera battery problem happened. I just don't get it. Any time we charge the batteries and use them immediately they are fine. If we charge them and ride to altitude, by the time we are ready to break them out they are not only weak, but have ZERO (none, zilch) power. They bring no life to the camera. This was first experienced on a ride out of Pagosa Springs Colorado and I missed some great shots. Oh well...now the pics are almost done and I might just step up and talk about the ride instead of writing this picture story

I did take some pics on 6 in Tonopah. I like this older homestead across from Shell there:

DSC07276.jpg

They had these neat outbuildings

DSC07277.jpg

Tonopah looks like this

DSC07278.jpg

Then we rode to Alamo, Nevada. Before Alamo (obviously settled by some Texan) we rode to Area 51. Yep, we were on the extraterrestrial highway. The road to Area 51 is dirt and it seems like they groom it to ensure that the dirt is loose and very dusty. This was where my problems with my wrist really began. I hit a very big, soft bunch of dirt at 50mph and Bluebelle danced around under me so much that I was just riding the gyros and hoping they'd keep me straight.

I gripped my handlebars pretty tight just then and apparently tight enough to really hurt my sprained/slightly broken (the dr. called me a week later, "uh...we found a break") wrist. This was not the low...the low was to come.

The injury was awakened and we still had 600+ miles to go to finish, and another 88 from there to get home. The low was the graduating level of pain and discomfort I had with my wrist. During the 150 mile sections of slab, it would stiffen up so that the first downshift on the exit ramp was really a bad experience.

Enough whining...is that good enough "low" for you Dcarver?

Frankly, there was never a time in my mind that I wanted to quit. At 550 miles I did jest, "Let's go home now." Get it?

Area 51 made our bikes dusty. While we were there, there was a pickup parked on the hill to the right with a couple SP's in it (I assume the Security Police guard the "Nellis bombing ground"). Who are they trying to kid? We all know they have an alien attended nudist colony there. Otherwise, why wouldn't they let us take photos?

Oh yeah...dust:

DSC07280.jpg

and more dust

DSC07281.jpg

then we rode to Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what O'vale... I'll buy you NEW batteries.. simply because I enjoy your posts so much. Serious offer. PM me if interested. Hell, I have several 12V deep cycle batteries ready for ya.. :D

We were rolling South and SouthWest as the sun went down. To our right, there was a long montain range that blotted out our sun as the ranges to the East of us were lit up like it was noon. It was a pretty cool time and space.

Let me stop to talk about the scenery in Nevada. Too many times I have heard people complain about going across Nevada. Stop it. I was expecting boring scenery, but I was paused many times by what my eyes took in as startling beauty. From now on, if I hear anyone complain about Nevada I'm going to call their bullshit. Sorry, if you've been there and still think it's boring, you just don't get a whole bunch now do you? ;)

I have never seen mountains so stark and bare. Except one other place: The movie Jesus Christ Superstar (shot on location in Israel). I thought chics with long hair, or big afros were gonna jump around and start singing any moment...just kidding. What's the buzz? If you haven't seen this flick, go buy it on Amazon for $9 and see one of the top 2 or 3 musicals of all time (my person fave) ((I pretty much hate musicals)).

Anyway...

we got to vegas and my pics suck

DSC07282.jpg

We ate dinner here...and the pic sucked here too

DSC07286.jpg

Then...blah blah blah. Blahdiddy Blah blah blah. Blahdipsy Blahdoodle...yeah...we rode 15 to 58 to 99 through Cali at night. Bore-fucking-Ing. except we were on two wheels and going fast...that part was cool.

Then we got back and in Sonora the attendant at the gas station took the pics of these happy dudes:

Tim (twn), Ian (Skyway), Steve (bluestreek), Andrew (OrangevaleFJR)

DSC07288.jpg

My fairing

DSC07291.jpg

more bike shots at the finish

DSC07290.jpg

DSC07293.jpg

Congratulations guys! Thats Awesome! Judging by the pic of you guys at the end it looks as if you could do another 1K without a problem. Thanks for the great pics and the terrific write up OV. Really looks like it was a beautiful ride scenery wise.

Congratulations guys! Thats Awesome! Judging by the pic of you guys at the end it looks as if you could do another 1K without a problem. Thanks for the great pics and the terrific write up OV. Really looks like it was a beautiful ride scenery wise.
Well, Twowheelnut did go for another 500 miles!!! We need to get him on here to tell the whole story from riding to fishing and hunting. I'd also like to hear other people's perspective of the ride. I did hear a "That's the easiest 1,000 I ever did." from somewhere.

Well, Twowheelnut did go for another 500 miles!!! We need to get him on here to tell the whole story from riding to fishing and hunting. I'd also like to hear other people's perspective of the ride. I did hear a "That's the easiest 1,000 I ever did." from somewhere.
TWN - You greedy bastard!! :lol: Can't get enough with a thousand, eh? :dribble:

Wow Andrew, I had no idea you were taking so many pictures. This has to be the most catalogued LD ride I have ever been involved in. Shame about the camera later on though. :(

First of all I need to mention that this ride was originally put together by me for MadMike2, who for unforeseen circumstances could not attend. But don't worry folks, I'll get him in the spring. :D

We got off a little slow due to me packing the wrong gerbing liner. Oops. :(

Then we had one other minor delay, while 2 riders made a pit-stop along Hwy395, and then backed out a short time thereafter. Apart from this, we made great time with no animal encounters and no incidents with any cagers. The weather was perfect and apart from Los Vegas, we damn near had the roads to ourselves.

Heck, we even stopped for dinner at the NV/CA border on I-15, a new and unusual concept for me I can tell yah.

I did mention that this was the easiest 1K I have ever done. Though without trying to come off as being an ass here, I'm comparing this to 2 previous Cal24 events (the first completed 2-up), the Mission ride I congered up earlier this year and WPF (2K+ miles in 24 hrs). All unique rides by themselves, but I think this SS1K really put the WPF run into perspective for me. :dribble:

Before departure I wasn't sure how the whole group thing was going to work out, but I think it went pretty well. It also helps a lot that the riders with you know how to handle thier bikes, even at speeds of up to 60mph on gravel roads, while getting covered in dust clouds. :lol:

Once again this has reaffirmed to me that the FJR is most suited to this type of riding. Right now I would not consider anything else to replace it.

Though this ride was not as challenging as the others mentioned above, I still enjoyed it as much as any other I've been fortunate to be involved in.

And yes it was a shame that the now infamous ScooterG could not be present, especially since we made a stop at Area 51 to say hi to his little brothers and sisters. :alien: