TomTom now discontinued in UK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
I have TomTom sat nav in my van at work and it is heaven sent. Works perfectly every time.

When looking around for a sat nav for the bike I did a little research on the Garmin, as is often discussed on here, and also the TomTom 'rider'. This is the only TomTom product that is designed for a bike.

I decided on the TomTom, mainly because I am familiar with the format and the write-ups said it was one of the best. It still works well even when in the centre of a building, as its designed to work from upto 20 satelites at any one time and has a really strong signal.

My first stop was the TomTom website where they have a long info page on the product which I took the trouble to read, then I clicked on 'where to buy' this brought up 2 long lists of both online and high street outlets.

The TomTom Rider was no-where to be found on any of the online sellers sites, nor when I rang 3 of the high street outlets did they have any. Only the third of these was able to tell me that TomTom have discontinued it because of poor sales. There was no phone number for TomTom direct, I ha to go through a lengthy registration procedure before I could send a question which will be answered in 24 hours. :angry:

Why the **** did they have all the crap on their website and a list of suppliers????? :angry: :angry:

I have located a supplier on Ebay and paid over the retail for one (only by £25).

If you want one......be quick!

Do you have TomTom in the States?

Here's one source that I found:

J P Cycles

I think I would go with the Garmin Zumo. I like th Blue Tooth option for wireless music on a long trip. I'm still looking for a good headset for my helmet though.

Thanks for that mate, but I have ordered now. That is an American supplier that you lsited the price is pretty much double what we would pay (after conversion) on top of that would be shipping to the UK and the cost of installing UK maps so it would not have been viable.

Thanks again anyhow.

Thanks for that mate, but I have ordered now. That is an American supplier that you lsited the price is pretty much double what we would pay (after conversion) on top of that would be shipping to the UK and the cost of installing UK maps so it would not have been viable.Thanks again anyhow.
Wow, maybe we should be shopping in the UK for our GPS stuff. Glad to hear you got what you were looking for and too bad the Rider didn't sell well enough to stay in production. It's always better to have a couple of different companies competing for our money.

Thats typical, I just bought one over Christmas in place of my Quest and am really happy with it (bet the price falls now). Got a patch lead from Intaride and can now use the phone as well via the TomTom Rider. Fitted it on the left and suspension adjuster.

rider1.jpg

rider2.jpg

rider3.jpg

rider4.jpg

rider5.jpg

rider6.jpg

Done 300 miles and it has not budged as yet.

I bought one too, a year ago.

Bought the new map this year. :rolleyes:

Not able to load them, not enought space on the memory to install the new ''North America'' maps. :angry2:

Upload the new ''US & Canada''. :unsure:

Guest what ? My street is not even there anymore?????? :angry:

When trought their website to send an email, what a pain !!!! :angry: :angry

Got an answer 4 days after, and they are not answering my question but, and $%&?&&?%? can not reply to the email. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Have to go back to the website and follow the procedure to post a new email. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

No answer yest !!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

WAS very happy with my Rider.....

Looks like they already lost interest in their Rider customers in North America. Not a good reflection on Tom Tom. Glad I decided to go with Garmin.

Rockbyter -- interesting mount idea. Haven't seen that one before.

I went with the Zumo, but a lot of folks seemed happy with the Tom Tom Rider. I'm really surprised to hear that sales may not be cutting it.

I bought one too, a year ago.
Bought the new map this year. :rolleyes:

Not able to load them, not enought space on the memory to install the new ''North America'' maps. :angry2:

Upload the new ''US & Canada''. :unsure:

Guest what ? My street is not even there anymore?????? :angry:

When trought their website to send an email, what a pain !!!! :angry: :angry

Got an answer 4 days after, and they are not answering my question but, and $%&?&&?%? can not reply to the email. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Have to go back to the website and follow the procedure to post a new email. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

No answer yest !!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

WAS very happy with my Rider.....
I have waited 24 hours and received my reply email from tomtom. My question was 'as I couldnt find a supplier listed on their website who currently stocked the rider product could they help me'. Their answer was a link back to their website to the page with all the list of suppliers who dont stock it!!!!!

I replied by asking if they could send me the link to the Garmin site.

Last edited by a moderator:
This just might explain the dropping prices on the Rider then. A couple sites have the Rider listed for $519 with the explaination that Tom Tom has just dropped their prices.... And I was looking at this as a possible next farkle.

Makes you go hmmm..

--G

This just might explain the dropping prices on the Rider then. A couple sites have the Rider listed for $519 with the explaination that Tom Tom has just dropped their prices.... And I was looking at this as a possible next farkle.
Makes you go hmmm..

--G
I am in the UK and have concluded that they are no longer available from the shops anymore. Tomtom dont seem interested in helping at all. I have managed to find a couple still boxed on ebay so have bought one from there. It is the same format as one I use at work so I would rather stick with it than mix & match. I have read several reports on it and they are all possitive. Let me know if you want the link to the UK ebay. Of course you would have to pay extra to put on the US maps.

Just been in Halfords...a national car/bike accesory chain in the UK. As you enter the store you are greeted by the Tomtom display...a glass cabinet with all the current models...except rider. OK, I am fine with it now, it is no longer available......so why the fuck have they got a big fuck off wide screen above the glass cabinet with a continuous running promo for Tomtom rider. It shows a happy biker with the device on his bars finding his way easily around the world.

I ask at the desk to see one (even though I sneakily bought one off ebay while tomtom wern't looking). The girl tells me that they are not in stock at the moment, I will have to wait to speak to the manager if I want to know more. (He is in a meeting and may be some time).

ITS A FUCKIN CONSPIRICY!!!!!!

I know absolutely no one with a TomTom. Everyone I know with GPS either has Garmin, or vehicle OEM.

IIRC

04FJRFORME (sp) said the garmin database was skewed for NA while TomTom was more European. Its odd then that they pulle the Euro model.

If you find one for CHEAP in UK let me know and you and I can hav a BEEREAX (sp)deal.

My Tomtom rider arrived today, from an ebay seller. Still boxed and sealed. Works perfectly. I am a happy sat-nav-er now.