Anybody got a FJR Crystal Ball

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buda

Reaction score
I have been looking at FJR's and currently ride a SV650s. I describe the SV650 as the slant six Dodge Dart of motorcycles. It is reliable and darn near bullet-proof along with ample longevity. If money were not an issue I would get a 2013 or newer FJR. I am justifying the FJR as a necessary tool for me to explore possibilities of places to relocate, New Seattle is not conducive to growing old in a fairly worry-free environment. Vehicle theft is off the charts and when I go grocery shopping people walk out with loaded carts without paying. One the upside it is impossible to get pulled over in New Seattle. It is like the Wild West except one can not defend their property. I digress.

My question is regarding 2004's being tickers or the CCT issue, do they have a TPS and ignition meltdown issue as well? Anyhow with 44,000 miles on the clock it would probably be ticking if it were going to be a ticker? There is little service history known by current owner so no idea what CCT is in it. I have read on here that most of the time the CCT will start making noise well before destroying the top end of the motor. Although at least one person said the motor went with no warning. Assuming someone did a valve lash check (maybe not, guys on a SV forum say not to bother until when the third or fourth check is due) the 50,000 mile check will be coming up for the FJR. The CCT may have been replaced with the green dot CCT at the 25,000 valve check? There probably is no easy way to check if the CCT has been replaced before purchasing the bike? Was there a recall for the CCT or any recalls for 2004's I could check for if I get the VIN? Maybe I should just ride my trusty old Dodge Dart to Wyoming again as it has never stranded me where I wasn't able to afro engineer it back on the road within a half hour. I really want a FJR as they are so comfortable for LD riding. Both the shock and fork springs have been recently upgraded/replaced on the 04 I am interested in and it has new(wish) Road5 GT tires. The price of the bike is about the same as the suspension and tires on it. It is located a couple hours away. If I end up with it I am certain this forum will assist me with mechanical advise. The SV forum group, SVRider, inspired me to replace the stock marshmallow shock with one of a ZX-14. Now I need to do the fork springs and heavier fork oil. That forum also helped me accessing the Achilles rear cylinder header bolts. The SV is easy to work on except the rear cylinder header flange bolts are not easy to get to. The 2004 FJR concerns me that I will be bringing home a potential project. The regular maintenance on the SV has been painless with help from the gurus online. I suspect I will be able to find most of what I need here on FJRforum.com Is there any reason not to buy the 2004 FJR or things to look/listen for if I go look at the 04 FJR please advise. I like that the 04 is lighter than the other Gens except the seat height is a bit higher and I am shrinking. The 07 FJR I rode fit better than the 05 ST1300 I test road. Please don't hate me for trying out brand X. Is there much difference between sitting on a 04 FJR and a 07 FJR?

There was no CCT recall. Just an improved part that you can (should) install.
Biggest difference between an 04 and an 07 is the heat management. Gen 1 is toastier to ride.

Those FJRs are between 15 and 20 years old. Yes, you're going to come across maintenance issues but they are just that - maintenance. If you're able to turn a wrench and don't detest working on your bike it's hard to think of something that would turn either into a "potential project", especially with the database of things documented on this forum and others. And like you noted, people are pretty good all over and are willing to help you out (provided you dig in yourself first).

Re. the '04, if the previous owner took the time and money to upgrade the whole suspension I would be inclined to think he/she probably took care of other things also. Road 5s says that to me too, not a cheap tire. Don't sweat the CCT. If you get it home, lift the tank and don't see an upgraded one on there it's not a terrible or expensive fix, again especially if you like getting your hands dirty. Price one out at Partzilla or wherever and see for yourself. How quick you'll want to address that is a function of your comfort zone. And you'll probably end up dealing with other niggling problems along the way too but nothing that hasn't happened to anybody else with these machines.

Oldjeep is absolutely right about the Gen Is being toastier to ride. (Will that be a big issue in Wyoming?) However the '07s are susceptible to spider bites which could turn into a potential project for you, again depending on your abilities. If you end up at a dealer for that it could get expensive if they want to tackle the project at all. Others can chime in about how the recall for that worked.

In either case don't sweat the mileage. Many FJRs see over six figures on the odo as long as they're looked after. Good luck in your quest.

No guarantee that a failing CCT will give you any warning. Look for a blue (or green) dot on the flange for the updated version. (The chain, not the tensioner, makes the noise.)
There was a recall for the throttle position sensor - you should be able to find out if it was done from Yamaha.
Ignition switch was problematic on some, but not a terrible thing to fix.
If it has ABS, make sure it is working. Some problems with the rear ABS on the '04 and '05 that were equipped with this.

Still, it is a very reliable bike and easy to maintain.

I put almost 200,000 miles on my '07 with very few issues. I did have one spider bite plus an unrelated grounding problem. Not a big deal to fix.

In order of your questions:

No, yes, check the dot yourself, also check for the dot yourself, no, and not much.

There are still a lot of riders here that started with Gen I FJRs. I went thru 5 CCTs in 162k miles. I always got a lot of notice and never had a catastrophic failure on the FJR. I did have a catastrophic failure on a Super Tenere, but one of, if not the first one to do so at 83k. The FJR has a shorter cam chain and will make a racket on the throttle side of the engine on cold start, and often when you roll to a stop after you take off too. It's not an expensive part, (the CCT), and likely was done on any bike you find. If not, do it before or at the 52k second valve check/adjustment service.

As Ignacio said, check for the dot yourself. Not hard to see with minor fairing loosening. The TPS isn't a huge or expensive issue either. It's more common on high mile bikes that did a lot of steady state touring highway miles. The area where the throttle hangs out most gets dirty and starts sending odd values. Just pulling it apart and cleaning it often will solve the issue short term. The on board diagnostic system can tell you quickly if the values are jumping around during throttle rotation.

FJRs are fairly easy to work on once you learn the tupperware removal process. The heat isn't as big a deal as some make out. Wear actual riding gear, especially pants, and there are some easy insulation fixes that help. And bikes do vary. Some are hotter than others. Don't ride 25 mph in shorts on a 90F day and you'll mostly be fine. (y)

Yes, the SV650 is a bulletproof bike. And yes, the FJR is hugely better at traveling and way more fun in the 30-50 mph twisties with upgraded suspension. If you like goat trails and staying in 2nd gear, keep the SV650! Otherwise, DO IT!

There are still a lot of riders here that started with Gen I FJRs. I went thru 5 CCTs in 162k miles. I always got a lot of notice and never had a catastrophic failure on the FJR. I did have a catastrophic failure on a Super Tenere, but one of, if not the first one to do so at 83k. The FJR has a shorter cam chain and will make a racket on the throttle side of the engine on cold start, and often when you roll to a stop after you take off too. It's not an expensive part, (the CCT), and likely was done on any bike you find. If not, do it before or at the 52k second valve check/adjustment service.

As Ignacio said, check for the dot yourself. Not hard to see with minor fairing loosening. The TPS isn't a huge or expensive issue either. It's more common on high mile bikes that did a lot of steady state touring highway miles. The area where the throttle hangs out most gets dirty and starts sending odd values. Just pulling it apart and cleaning it often will solve the issue short term. The on board diagnostic system can tell you quickly if the values are jumping around during throttle rotation.

FJRs are fairly easy to work on once you learn the tupperware removal process. The heat isn't as big a deal as some make out. Wear actual riding gear, especially pants, and there are some easy insulation fixes that help. And bikes do vary. Some are hotter than others. Don't ride 25 mph in shorts on a 90F day and you'll mostly be fine. (y)

Yes, the SV650 is a bulletproof bike. And yes, the FJR is hugely better at traveling and way more fun in the 30-50 mph twisties with upgraded suspension. If you like goat trails and staying in 2nd gear, keep the SV650! Otherwise, DO IT!
Wow 5 CCT’s in 162k miles !? That averages about 32k per. I assume some of the 5 I besides the original were non dot OEM CCT’s. How many green dot ones needing replacement? From what I read the blue dot CCT’s replaced the green dot CCT. My FJR knowledge is from here. Was the fifth one a blue dot? From what I remember it sounds like they finally got it correct when they came out with the blue dot replacement CCT’s?

Goat trails or not the SV is staying. I read of too many people on SVRider that are buying an SV because they miss the one they sold. Plus it is small and light; good town bike.

The heat might be welcome by me. I ride pretty much year round. Thank you for your input.

Green dot replaced blue. FWIW, I replaced the original CCT in my '07 at 30,000 miles with a blue dot one - just because a few problems had been reported. No issues before I sold the bike at just shy of 200,000 mi (actually only 186,000). Never replaced it again.

Items you'll contend with are the same with any 20 year old vehicle. With limited maintenance records, I'd change all the fluids, check for bad hoses / rubber and then just ride it. 44K isn't that many miles as an FJR is about as bulletproof a platform as you'll find. CCT will give you plenty of warning and (as others indicated) easy to change. Lots of great information on the forum to help you through any tough spots... and we've got a great group in the PNW area.

Good luck!

~G

My question is regarding 2004's being tickers
There were some early 04's reported to suffer from the dreaded valve tick, but it was primarily 03 (and older in other parts of the world). The tick was almost universally the result of excessive valve guide wear in the #2 cylinder. Yamaha tried a few things, starting with new valve material then new guides. Ultimately, the fix appears to have been a re-designed exhaust valve seal.

As near as we could tell at the time, approximately 7% of 03's turned out to be tickers, based on the number we knew of vs the number of bikes we knew had been built. And of those, 7% of repaired tickers ticked again -- until the new valve seal, that is. But if the tick was going to appear, it happened in the first 10-20,000 miles. If the bike made it past that, it was golden. Many 03's went hundreds of thousands of miles without issue.

As for the CCT, the number of actual reported failures is pretty low. But the failure can be catastrophic when it happens. I never personally experienced it, but I understand that it does give some advance warning in the form of cam chain noise before the chain starts skipping teeth.

And as others have said: the Gen 1 is a highway bike. You want lots of airflow in warm weather. 06 and later have better heat management, but the early ones are sportier.

There were some early 04's reported to suffer from the dreaded valve tick, but it was primarily 03 (and older in other parts of the world). The tick was almost universally the result of excessive valve guide wear in the #2 cylinder. Yamaha tried a few things, starting with new valve material then new guides. Ultimately, the fix appears to have been a re-designed exhaust valve seal.

As near as we could tell at the time, approximately 7% of 03's turned out to be tickers, based on the number we knew of vs the number of bikes we knew had been built. And of those, 7% of repaired tickers ticked again -- until the new valve seal, that is. But if the tick was going to appear, it happened in the first 10-20,000 miles. If the bike made it past that, it was golden. Many 03's went hundreds of thousands of miles without issue.

As for the CCT, the number of actual reported failures is pretty low. But the failure can be catastrophic when it happens. I never personally experienced it, but I understand that it does give some advance warning in the form of cam chain noise before the chain starts skipping teeth.

And as others have said: the Gen 1 is a highway bike. You want lots of airflow in warm weather. 06 and later have better heat management, but the early ones are sportier.
Thank you for your informative response. Actual low numbers are reassuring. I am riding to checkout the FJR in the morning. BTW it is listed fir $3.2k with recent Ohlins shock Racetech Springs and Newer Road 5 GT’s 44k miles. Says it is cosmetically challenged with some scratches.

I feel fairly confident after reading the responses that it should serve me well for many miles if it sounds good and performs well on test ride. Thank you everyone for your input.

Wow 5 CCT’s in 162k miles !? That averages about 32k per. I assume some of the 5 I besides the original were non dot OEM CCT’s. How many green dot ones needing replacement? From what I read the blue dot CCT’s replaced the green dot CCT. My FJR knowledge is from here. Was the fifth one a blue dot? From what I remember it sounds like they finally got it correct when they came out with the blue dot replacement CCT’s?

Goat trails or not the SV is staying. I read of too many people on SVRider that are buying an SV because they miss the one they sold. Plus it is small and light; good town bike.

The heat might be welcome by me. I ride pretty much year round. Thank you for your input.
I was riding 35-50k a year at that point. All of the CCTs were genuine Yamaha, installed by a reputable 5 star rated tech at a Yamaha dealer. The bike was still under warranty at 100k. This was a time period before the CCT updates and I was averaging 1 CCT a year or so. When the blue dot came out, it lasted a lot longer, then the final one pretty much stopped the issue.

These CCTs are a step design and when the spring would fail, it would come out the next step, then slip back later, noise returning. Sometimes frustrating to take it to the dealer and have it quiet, they find nothing, you pick the bike up, get to the first signal light and it's clattering like all get out, return to the dealer, they finally hear it and agree to do the replacement again under warranty. IOW, it's really not an issue any more. Just change them every 50k or so as a preventative measure.

I had a 04 early ticker at 12k. Yamaha sent a factory tech to replace the head at a local Yamaha shop so they could send the head back to Japan for analysis. The replacement head made it to 90k before bambi destroyed the bike near Mt. Saint Helens in 2012. It was a good bike.