FJR extremely unstable !!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHLANDER

naewittyshitepostedeere
Reaction score
The FJR is extremely unstable when you get a flat tire !!

.How unstable you ask ?

realy fackin unstable !!

I mean realy realy realy unstable

Like this !! :angry2:

Sleeping-06.jpg

So late Sunday night I get a flat in the dark and pump it up twice to make the last 9 miles home. Couldn't find the hole in the dark. I plugged it Sunday and when I open the mini garage Today, I find this ! Fack !

When there is NO air in the tire the bike stands up straight and leans over to the right and hits the ground. I'm assuming the weight of the battery made it flip over to the right. I found the other pin hole, plugged it and aired it up, bike immediatly leans left when aired up.

Damage consists of a shattered screen ( when it hit the ATV winch ), twisted Garald light bracket, rashed mirror, scraped muffler and I'll be getting a new tire as two holes that close will probably result in damaged cords.

left-damage.jpg

Tire-damage.jpg

I guess I should be happy the KLR wasn't parked next to it ! :eek: but I'm not happy !! :angry2:

Ouch that sucks! Sorry, Dave. Confirms my keeping both on the center stand...
I always use the centerstand
The only reason I really use it in the garage is because of potential shakers. For some reason, I think that'll prevent Mother Earth from body slamming my bikes to the ground. I'm prolly wrong about that, though. :unsure:

Bummer. This would piss me off too. I am not in the habit of putting the FJR on the center-stand in the garage but I will do so from now on if I suspect tire issues. The thought that an FJR would fall over with a flat tire never occurred to me. My bike is even more susceptible to a tip over because I lowered it a tad bit. Sorry about your bad luck. Thank you for your usual selfless manner in educating the rest of us.

Well that really sucks. I'm sorry for your pain but I will always remember that and use the center stand if it ever happens to me.

Sorry Dave!

I tried to tell you, but....

My '06 does that all the time

DSC01449.jpg

Sorry to hear about that Highlander. Did you puke on your shoes or successfully fight the urge?

Thanks for taking the time to photograph it before you picked it up. Your insurance guy will appreciate the attention to detail.

That really sucks, Dave. Wondering if a front flat will do the same thing. I guess you're suggesting that it always go on the center stand to avoid the unseen midnight tip over? Maybe now you'll have to replace that scratched can by putting the Muzzy system on?

A parallel story, but much worse, to make you feel fortunate by comparison:

In Manteca only last fall, a fellow Blackbird rider totaled his farkled 2000 XX almost the same way, but with more flair. He's a really experienced rider/racer/wrencher who races one of two RC51s and had his Bird up on a lift with only a front tire holder. I don't recall if he had replaced the rear tire and put the wheel back in temporarily or still had the rear wheel out, but the chain was not on the rear sprocket when he left it to go to bed. He went to work the next day and forgot about it, but when he next checked the garage, his XX was laying on its side on the slab floor. Broken plastic, supports, more than you would imagine. But the broken clip-on was his undoing. He righted the bike, and started checking it out. He failed to notice that the broken clip-on had left the the starter button hanging and pressed against the plastic. So when he turned the key to check for something -- I forget what, it was a BIG MISTAKE he couldn't undo fast enough. Upon switching on the key, the starter motor cranked up and wound the chain around the primary sprocket, quickly breaking the case. You can imagine how that would make you feel -- awful to begin with, and then diarrhea inducing horrible at making it worse.

The insurer called it a total and he sold off the farkles. I believe that there was a minor earthquake in that window in Manteca, and he's wondered if that was what knocked it over. Moral there: don't leave your bike up in the air on the lift unless it is very well secured when you do.

Warchild knows who I mean. Sad story but true. Now I gotta go check that both bikes are on their center stands on the garage slab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto to all.....that sucks!

I always use the center stand during any lengthy parking or ovenight storage. I got into the habit after a parking lot spill in hot asphalt, which made the side stand slide out from under my bike....that sucked too!

Dave, that is all easily fixable and I feel your pain. I just did the mirror ($54 UMotors) and a screen. Too bad it happened. I had a blow out on the highway lasr month and could not get the bike stable on the side stand. It just doesn't work without air in the rear. I couldn't deploy the center stand because the bike was too low, so I was screwed until help arrived. Good luck and best wishes.

I had a blow out on the highway lasr month and could not get the bike stable on the side stand. It just doesn't work without air in the rear. I couldn't deploy the center stand because the bike was too low, so I was screwed until help arrived.
I had a flat last September that was pretty much dead flat when I pulled over and I got it up on the center stand. I don't recall how -- GF might have helped. But I think it was mostly a function of the topography where I stopped. A left leaning1 slope might be your friend with a flat using the side stand. A downslope or knoll your friend for the center stand with a flat. I do recall that I was on the side of a driveway out in the boonies that wasn't exactly level.

1Iggy -- this is NOT a political or potentially political comment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your bike lowered at all? Or do you have stock suspension? Cuz my bike on the side stand has a pretty significant lean to it.

Is your bike lowered at all? Or do you have stock suspension? Cuz my bike on the side stand has a pretty significant lean to it.

Nope, Wilbers system, adjusted 1/4" longer than stock :blink:

Thanks for the condolences..guess I'm windshield and tire and mirror shopping tomorrow ! :angry2: