Is there a PAIR (air injection) system on our GenIIs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELP_JC

Reaction score
After reading many vacuum problems, I wonder if we have this system. It's the first thing most owners remove on a bike, and I haven't seen this mentioned at all on this board, including block-off plates to do a professional job. It must have something to comply with the EPA, right? And I know it doesn't have a charcoal canister in non-CA states, so it must have a PAIR somewhere.

Besides making the engine more reliable, and eliminating popping under deceleration (sometimes even with stock pipes), it's much easier to work on it. I'll check things there when I get my MotionPro carb tuner, but just wanted to know. Comments welcome.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a PAIR (air injection) system on our GenIIs?
Yes, Gen I and Gen IIs have the same Air Injection system for the exhaust; the components are laid out differently between the Gens. The AI system is an ECU controlled solenoid that takes air from the air box and distributes it to four reed valves that induct air into the exhaust stream right at the cylinder head. The system is active until the engine reaches 'normal operating' temperature and remains active when at idle but not while driving.

There should be zero affect to the intake vacuum with or without the AI system in place. Engine reliability should remain unchanged, head pipe temps will drop a bit when the engine is cold and the cat will work harder.

Many have removed the AI system. You will need to cap the hose port on the air box and cap the four air ports at the reed valve assembly. Remove but retain all the remaining hoses, hardware and the solenoid. Pop no more, stress the cat a bit when cold, loose some ugly weight, gain better access to the engine and pollute away.

We had a XX forum member fabricate up a set of PAIR Blockoff Plates that do an outstanding job:

pair.jpg

With the Blockoff Plates installed, the maze of tubing, plumbing, solenoid valve, etc is all gone, resulting in a "clean" valve cover area that allows MUCH easier access to spark plugs, etc:

lottaroomafterplates.jpg

This is no performance gain (nor performance penalty) by doing the PAIR Blockoff Plates mod. In the case of the Blackbird, the primary motivation is to "clean up" the top of the engine for ease of maintenance, etc, as well as save a bit of weight.

We had a XX forum member fabricate up a set of PAIR Blockoff Plates that do an outstanding job:

pair.jpg

With the Blockoff Plates installed, the maze of tubing, plumbing, solenoid valve, etc is all gone, resulting in a "clean" valve cover area that allows MUCH easier access to spark plugs, etc:

lottaroomafterplates.jpg

This is no performance gain (nor performance penalty) by doing the PAIR Blockoff Plates mod. In the case of the Blackbird, the primary motivation is to "clean up" the top of the engine for ease of maintenance, etc, as well as save a bit of weight.
Not to mention reduced temps at the exhaust header which is generally a good thing.

We had a XX forum member fabricate up a set of PAIR Blockoff Plates that do an outstanding job
Hey, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Two questions for you:

-Is this guy making the plates for our FJR? If so, do you have his contact info? Thanks.

-Is the solenoid connected to the ECU? On my BMW, it wasn't, but on my Suzuki, it was, and part of a kit I bought was a factory-like connector with a resistor inside that fooled the ECU into thinking the valve was there, so it didn't throw a code. Hope this bike is like the BMW.

Thanks for the great news. And yes, I know this does squat for performance. BUt a lot less likely vacuum problems with that maze of hoses there. Take care.

JC

Hey, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Two questions for you:
-Is this guy making the plates for our FJR? If so, do you have his contact info? Thanks.

-Is the solenoid connected to the ECU? On my BMW, it wasn't, but on my Suzuki, it was, and part of a kit I bought was a factory-like connector with a resistor inside that fooled the ECU into thinking the valve was there, so it didn't throw a code. Hope this bike is like the BMW.
Pretty sure JRed (XX forum member who fabricated these) is not making any for the FJR.

And truth be told, I have not done this mod to my '03 FJR (simply because I haven't had time), so I can't answer your second question in good faith. The Blackbird's PAIR solenoid was not tied to the ECU, so this made life simple for that model's Blockoff Plates.

I have not done this mod to my '03 FJR (simply because I haven't had time), so I can't answer your second question in good faith.
Thanks buddy. With the wiring diagrams, which I believe are included in the service manual, it should be easy enough to find out. And it's also easy to bypass it if needed (I can find out the exact resistance needed easily), but the most difficult part would be to obtain a stock-like connector for an OEM look. If the solenoid has a wire attached to the connector, we'd be in business as it can be used with just a resistor in place of the solenoid, and tape it up for a factory look.

If nobody else steps up to the plate, I might make my own plates now that I have some time off, but honestly prefer to pay for them than the inconvenience of finding somebody to make them (probably on the other side of town). Later gang.

JC