Got Horsepower?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesK

Got to ride
Reaction score
Tate and I rode down to the Keys on Sunday, trying hard to avoid all the two-wheeled tractors that had gathered there for some kind of a cruiser event (poker run something or other).

Anyway, after taking the obligatory photo (90 mi to Cuba) we started heading back and came across a mobile DynoJet truck in the parking lot of one of the Motels. We decided to stop and check it out, and discovered that they offered an HP run for $20, and their logo/name was "Bragging Rights", well it's not hard to guess what happened next :)

As it turns out, we just happen (until next week) a stock '06FJR and a PCIIIed '07FJR, so we decided to publish our side by side DynoJet HP runs.

IMG_4433.jpg

The images are:

1st: Stock '06 FJR1300A - 121.17 HP at the rear wheel

2nd: '07 FJR1300A with: PCIIIUSB, K&N high flow Air filter, O2 Sensor disconnected and BlueFlame Performance EVO3 Oval slip-ons (one baffle removed) - 125.90 HP at the rear wheel

3rd: HP comparison chart

My bike puts out (using a map that was created for a somewhat different setup) about 4 HP more than Tate's stock, while nice to brag about realistically on an FJR that's not a huge consideration. However, the real-world benefits of the setup are:

1. the PCIII bike runs at least 1 full bar cooler on the Temp gauge

2. feels like a completely different bike, all the low-end jerkiness is gone, pick up is smoother and better, etc.

3. no perceivable fuel consumption difference

4. and of course the EVO3 are much lighter, nicer looking and sound #$%^ great

GENIIFJRDynoJetRunStockvsPCIIIusbKN.jpg

GENIIFJRDynoJetRunStockvsPCIIIus-1.jpg

GENIIFJRDynoJetRunStockvsPCIIIus-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report JK. The stock bike looks to be down around 4-5 hp on what's been reported by other dynos. I suppose there is variation in stock motors as well as dynos.

Nice comparo. Well done.

While my 04 has the PCIII and Holeshots, it matters to me not any increase in HP. Like you said above though, the PCIII sure improved the drivability in a big way. Unfortunately, that was at the cost of about 15% in fuel mileage.

Interesting and reasonable numbers. At a recent free dyno shootout, my 06 with only 2k miles showed 121.4 horses on an eddy current dyno (not a Dynojet Accelerometer). I have made no mods, added no 'tronics, and not done a Barbarian. Readings were taken at maybe 100' MSL and ~70F with cheap unleaded fuel. With weather that close to perfect, it'd be hard not to get good numbers.

I suspect most FJRs will be in that range, and it's not a bad number in the real world.

Very cool, guys. Thanks for posting these, I would have loved to have joined you and put my "tweener" '05 w/ PCIII, K&N, stock header and pipes on. If it split the difference I think it would be safe to say the cans really make the difference.

I am glad to have seen your bike two weeks ago, James. First, I hadn't seen the Black Cherry in person, and second, I hadn't seen the EVOs in person, which I have been lusting after for some time as you may have noticed. I would have hung out longer but didn't want my Hardley buddy to get an acute case of inadequacy disorder. If OK with you, the next time we meet up, I would like to take yours for a brief spin to hear the pipes a little more. If they are as good as they looked and sounded revving the throttle off the bike, then the dishes are done on these and I will own them soon.

BTW, I agree on the PCIII - makes it a whole new bike. I was very skeptical at first, as my bike had no surging and even the barbarian mod made only the slightest difference. But as far as I am concerned, all FJRs should have PCIIIs on them.

-BD