exhaust discoloration;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
I have a question about the exhaust pipes before it mates up with the mufflers. I've noticed that the pipes discolor before they enter the mufflers. Is there any way to prevent this or is there someone who sells some chrome heat shields to cover the unsightly pipes? Or has anyone tried using high-heat paint? Would appreciate any help. Painman. :huh:

I put these on my 05 as used/recommended by Dean Tanji; they are primarily for protecting the pipes (yes, where you are speaking of) from 'melted heel marks' by the operator; they don't cover the entire pipe, so they may not be exactly what you had in mind, but they serve their purpose well.

J&P cycles

Last edited by a moderator:
The header pipe before the muffler always discolors. Kind of a nice shade of yellow?!?!? I used to polish mine every so often and they would buff out just like original, but being stainless steel, they don't "hold" a polise and begin to discolor very shortly. I have the chrome guards (From J.C. Whitney, I think).

OTH, if you just let the bike stay dirty, it has the well-ridden look and nobody will notice the header pipe. :haha:

Thanks madmike. I just don't really care for the discoloration look. I would really like to hide that feature. I've noticed other types of bikes that have this same feature and frankly my personal style is "clean". I try to keep up on all my rides to keep them looking new. Just me. Just trying to figure out things I need to do before the bike comes. What else am I going to do while I wait. :dribble:

Latest posts