Boot Evaluation;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Guess this is the place to find out what some good riding boots might be. I'm currently in the market for some decent riding boots but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I prefer water protection not that I ride the majority of time in the rain, but that would be a good requirement. Gortex or something similar would be good so you don't sweat when it's warm and good protection in case of an accident. Anyone had any good luck with some good boots? I've looked at Alpine Stars Effex Gore-Tex and the Sidi Thunder Sympatex and also the Joe Rocket Revolution boots. Just looking for some input. Thanks, Painman. <>< <_<

Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex Boots
Another vote here! Why....first of all they are comfortable. They have plenty of armor while being flexible enough to walk in. They don't look like the road race boots that I used to use for track days and the soles are real grippy. Great for us guys who got shorted on the inseam department. I bought them at New Enough dot com.

I have a pair of Sidi boots that I love. They are very light weight yet have armour in all the right places. They are plain black in color.....no boy racer stuff for me. The boots are water resistant....good for about an hour of riding in the rain before your feet get wet. I looked at water proof boots but the salesman made a good piont.....You do 90% of your riding in the dry so why would you buy a boot for the other 10%. He also noted that the true water proof boots are very hot. I ended up taking his advice and have not been sorry. I did buy a pair of water proof booties that slip over your boots in case I had an all day ride in the rain but I have never used them.

You do 90% of your riding in the dry so why would you buy a boot for the other 10%. He also noted that the true water proof boots are very hot.
Convoluted logic. Why buy a house with a roof when it only rains 10% of the time?

I don't think any of the breathable modern gore-tex waterproof boots are any hotter in hot weather.

I'm wearing Sidi's gore-tex boots right now and they've been great, but I had Alpinestars before and they were fine also. I've never had a gore-tex boot ever leak, even riding all day in the rain. (I can't say the same about gloves, but that's a different story.) These Oxtars are good boots too. Another brand that some folks are liking is Setup - they are Sidi's low-priced brand.

For touring and commuting, gore-tex boots are simply the way to go - I quit fooling around with those stupid rubber booties a long time ago.

- Mark

Have good luck with fit when ordering online? Or should I ante up at the stealer for these?
Go to the "Stealer", try them on, then give him a chance to match the online price. If he doesn't, walk on him and order the size that fit you in his shop.

-and now for something completely different: I've been enjoying Triumph's Tritech boots. Their apparel ads got me curious; I checked them out and have had them some time now; they're all black, super comfortable, have a breatheable waterproof liner and a reflective circle on the heel which is visible from the rear. They do not get hot, (Houston weather) and I have been caught in a couple of major downpours hours away from home--they are waterproof as the ads claimed. They're black, armored in the ankle, sides, all the usual places. They have a extra 'textured' layer where the shifter hits. They do not come up as high as a typical touring boot (which I like) and they're very comfortable to walk around in. Yes, they do have a Triumph logo on the tongue however it is obscured by long pants. You do ride in long pants, don't ya? ;) My wife also got a pair (after mine) and she is equally content with them; she reported it was easier to shift as the boot has more flexibility.

The only issue I had was availability; I wanted to try on a pair and contacted the 2 dealerships in the Houston area.. no luck in my size (8). Didn't want to risk mail order without a size confirmation... on the way back from a Florida vacation happened to see a BMW/Triumph dealership, (Gulf Coast Motorcycles, Fort Meyers, FL. 239-481-8100) stopped in and they had them; excellent service to boot (sorry, couldn't resist). The size ran accurate to what I normally wear; same price as online at 138.00. Bought my wife's pair from them as well; the local dealerships didn't want to bother to order them for me...so much for legendary BMW/Triumph customer service-- (at least here anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
The boots are water resistant; good for about an hour of riding in the rain before your feet get wet. I looked at water proof boots but the salesman made a good piont; you do 90% of your riding in the dry so why would you buy a boot for the other 10%. He also noted that the true water proof boots are very hot.
I got some Rocky Eliminator II boots with gore tex and 600 grams of thinsulate. It's only cold 3 or 4 months out of the year and it only rains occasionally. BUT the thinsulate also keep heat out when it's over 120°F radiating off the black top and, once the leather of a boot soaks through, it takes a long time to dry while the booties would have you standing in puddles inside the boot.

I extended that to the Oxtar Matrix boots and have been very happy with them. If you tend to pull over and wait out the bad weather, then keeping the water (or temperature variance) out of the boot might not be as big a deal. But if you endeavor to persevere, such things can make or break a ride.

Matrix +1, especially at New Enough's awesome price. For me they are comfortable (more than CruiserWorks Touring boot), waterproof, and simple-black. They only lack some extra torsion control (ankle exoskeleton) which I think is probably desirable and I will seek in my next boots. I saw a nice pair of BMW Touring boots that may fit the bill in another year or two.

I'm real happy with my Joe Rocket Orbit boots...

487_9393.jpg

:eek: Wow! You guy's are too much. Thanks for the great advice. I'm breaking out of the HD cruiser mold to explore new territory and appreciate all the great advice. Painman. (Still waiting for the 06). :agent:

If you buy buYthe best ALPINE STARS FIT LIKE A GLOVE ANd FINE ITALIAN CRAFTMANNSHIP which equals quality and comfort... I ride with a pair of gps3

Oh, you people! All this boot talk made me run out and buy some . Stop the madness! Er, I mean thank you, I think.
Be sure to give us all a good review on those once you've had a chance to wear them for a few hours/miles.