'Stitch Roadcrafter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to order my Roadcrafter - but now I'm in a bit of a quandry - So I'm asking the sage opinions of the many august authorities on this forum -

Which Color ?

Hi-Viz?

54860480-M.jpg

OR

Red ?

54860483-M.jpg

I like the visibility of the Hi-Viz - however, I can just hear the comments along the lines of - - - "BigBird", "Banana", "Ghay", ... you get the idea.

Opinions and Comments are welcome -

Niether. Hi Rez is just foul IMO, and red turns to pink in just a few short seasons. Less if you see lots of sun or washings.

Can I ask why you're down to those 2 colors??

Props on picking the very best suit to protect your sliding azz. B)

Niether. Hi Rez is just foul IMO, and red turns to pink in just a few short seasons. Less if you see lots of sun or washings.
Can I ask why you're down to those 2 colors??

Props on picking the very best suit to protect your sliding azz.  B)
80 mile RT commute on the 405. It's about being SEEN.

And your previous post about sliding one's azz down the pavement was the swing vote.

80 mile RT commute on the 405. It's about being SEEN.
And your previous post about sliding one's azz down the pavement was the swing vote.
There's a GREAT reason for the Hi-Viz IMO. If I was commutting on the 405 (again) I'd want the Hi-Viz Stitch, flaming, colored flares stickin' outta my asspipe, bells, horns, sirens, a safety cage, and a 50 cal mounted for and aft.

I HATED commuting in So Cal.......and that was many, many moons ago.

Best of luck. Be sure to talk to Sally and reference the dumb ass in Vegas who looped his shit at 130 mph and called her for a new Stitch the next day. :D

80 mile RT commute on the 405.  It's about being SEEN.
There's a GREAT reason for the Hi-Viz IMO. If I was commutting on the 405 (again) I'd want the Hi-Viz Stitch, flaming, colored flares stickin' outta my asspipe, bells, horns, sirens, a safety cage, and a 50 cal mounted for and aft.

I HATED commuting in So Cal.......and that was many, many moons ago.

Best of luck. Be sure to talk to Sally and reference the dumb ass in Vegas who looped his shit at 130 mph and called her for a new Stitch the next day. :D
Yeah,, it's about being seen.

And I'll give Sally a call.

And your avatar still hurts to look at.

I saw a Hi-Viz the other day, probably a couple of years old, and it looked pretty faded. I think the brighter they are the more dramatically they fade and look like shit. On the other hand a high contrast of light and dark on the suit probably works just as well once it has lost its initial glow.

And Gleno, where on this friggin earth did you ever find that Avatar?? The most painful and sick one I have seen yet. You have scored max for wierdness on that one buddy, but it is time for a change. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a red one, purchased at half price from the IBMWR Marketplace "slightly used" and it was about 3 years old when I got it. I've ridden maybe 30,000 miles since then, and it has faded a bit, but not to "pink" as described above. We get lots of sunny hours in Texas, so I'd say 6-7 years of sun exposure hasn't faded the two piece suit too badly. I love the suit, and have the extra hip pads, and back protector added on. It's pretty heavy loaded up with my "stuff", but as they say, it's a suitcase you wear.

That said, if I were buying new, I'd go with HiVis yellow for visibility. Two minor falls have convinced me the 'Stitch is the way to go. Never leave home without it.

I've seen red 'Stiches that were "pink" -- but it takes many years (miles) of exposure. They all fade ('cept maybe black?) hi-viz yellow, blue, grey -- all of 'em. But that may not be so important? It's been said, "Once you decide on an Aerostich -- style goes out the window." If you're looking for a vote? Mine's for Hi-Viz Yellow -- for all the reasons stated.....

I saw a high vis that was dirty and it really looked bad....really bad. I went with Gray on my Darien and I am not worried with all the reflective material on it. On the other hand, if you had an electrically lit suit, the average cager still won't see you.

Hi viz works. They either move over because they see me or because they think I am some nutcase. I don't know which, or care.

If you are walking around without your helmet, folks confuse you for a Life Flight team member, especially if you are walking around a hospital visiting co-workers that just hit a car that pulled out in front of them.

Hi Viz does get dirty fast, but red fades fast.

Jed

If i was that afraid of not being seen and felt unsafe ,i would drive my cage.

Hi viz works. They either move over because they see me or because they think I am some nutcase. I don't know which, or care.

Yep, cages either think I'm like a mission impossible agent or some sort of emergency vehicle and GTF out of the way.

In fact I swear LEO"s think this too and leave me alone too. Helps to have lights, handguards, pegs, etc to give more presense.

As far as fading, they do fade, but as said it will take awhile. You're good for a long,long time.

They do get dirty quickly but an annual washing brings them back. But I will say oil/grease stains are next to impossible to remove. Gives character :lol:

Feedback from other riders behind me both day and night tell me I'm a frickin flying saucer, that no one can miss me if they are looking.

I've noticed a HUGE, HUGE difference in the number of cages turning left dangerous in front of me. Almost never happens anymore, city or country.

Intersections seem 1000% safer. :guitar:

As far as comments? :haha: :haha:

Been called spaceman, fireman, nuclear worker :nuke: , and get plenty of laughs from the American iron crowd. Plenty of people have came up and made conversation about it, and the FJR.

One last thing...MUST get the optional back and hip pads. Go a little big on the suit.

Bottom line is they are the best visibility but be prepared for some funny (or annoying) questions :jester:

Hi-Viz user here for eight years. All the suits look pretty dorky, so I'd forego the style concerns and get what is safest. There is no doubt that being more visible helps.

It really boils down to whether you're manly enough to not worry about what others think you look like.

- Mark

A friend of mine wears a Hi-Viz and he is a fireman/emergency responder. The first time people see him in his HV they think he wore his work outfit home. Conversely, when he rides his bike to work they think he arrived already dressed.

Above mentioned friend's HV is now getting on in years and it is no longer quite so bright and letmetellya, it shows the road grime :gah:

Alan