Who's running Shinko Ravens?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
Does anybody have feedback on the Shinko 009 Ravens?

I have bought a set but I'm now hesitant to install them on my Feejer :blink:

I flew off the road 2 weeks ago and have become pretty sensitive to grip issues (understandably, I guess). BTW, I was running 'Stone in the front and MEZ6 in the rear (both tires still serviceable but past their prime) when I grabbed major air.

While I thought the Ravens were a hell of a buy when I ordered them, I wonder if my interests would be better served by a set of BT020's...

I also have a set of Avons (Azaro 49/50) stashed in the garage. They look trick as hell, but do they walk the walk?

My driving is mostly on canyon roads on weekends and when we take a 7-day road-trip we're right there at the Max Weight limit for a Feejer.

Thanks for your input folks, suddenly I'm getting cold feet... :rolleyes:

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't heard of those...

That is where I was under the Idea, of getting a set of Pilot Power's....

I know they might be alittle soft for this bike, but think about it... your damn wheel isn't gunna come flying out from underneath ya... I would rather pay for safety, then worry about milage I get out of tires...

I buy a set of tires every year for my car... 1 year its snow tires and the other year its street tires... I get about 2 years out of each set. In my eyes its worth it, to have my feet firmly on the ground...

I love a really strong wet weather/dry weather tire... that to me is priceless, and if it costs me $200. a year in tires, so be it... Money well spent...

could you give us a link for those tires M8...

Here ya go...

Raven

shinko_Raven009.jpg

I have a friend who has them on his FJR and likes them. I think Shinko is a Korean/Japanese company and they bought the molds from Yokohama. Someone else posted on one of the boards a while back that he liked them. RideNow.com sells the Ravens for $80 rear and $55 front. I'm guessing that unless you push your bike to the absolute max {which you shouldn't be doing on the highway} you probably can't tell the difference between the Ravens and a name brand. I say throw them on and see what you think. They're rated for 168 MPH. BTW, my original Stone front is cupping noticably and howls in curves at only 4500 miles. The rear looks to have about 2000 or so miles left in it. I may try the Shinko 009's next time as well.

Stef,

Check this out: (from this thread.)

I then put on a set of Diablo Corsas (Pirelli track day tires). I didn't figure they would last long but I ended up getting about 4500 miles out of the front and rear. Again the front was fine and still had plenty of life, but I put on a set of Diablo Stradas, E spec rear. they seem to have plenty of grip even on the track (you'll drag hard parts before you loose traction) but much better wear. I will always err on the side of a sticky tire vs. a mileage tire. I have plenty of bikes and enjoy a sporty ride, so I know that tires are cheaper than bodywork and personal injury. :)
so far so good on the diablo strada.  I think I just turned over 16k miles last week with a fair amount of it highway stuff. minimal cupping in the front and the rear looks good without too much squaring off. I 'd like to get it back on the track or in the mountains to round it off a bit but that'll have to wait a few more weeks. Also my mileage may be higher as the SE roads are pretty smooth and I"m usually pretty smooth on the gas and don't use much brakes when riding it hard in the mountains. your results may vary. oh yeah and they rock in the rain. I commute about 150 miles a day and ride home in the rain every so often and no issues at all.
I sure hope YOU don't have some problem with Pirelli :p

Stef,

My dealer simply will not sell me a set of the Shinkos. His claim: The bike's too heavy. But, what do I know, so I listen to him. About the Z6... slipperier than fresh dog shit! I'll never have them on this bike again. Working on a set of Pilot Roads and so far, so go!

How's the mending coming?

Thanks for your feedback, folks... I guess I'll give the Ravens a try on a long road trip I've got coming in June. And use the Avons later on for the twisties... ;)

How's the mending coming?
Tim,

the rib is mending OK but I can't keep my foot in the air for hours on end as the doc said. I'd go nuts.

Today I worked on the FJR in the garage for over 2 hours and now this stitched-up meatloaf is throbbing like a diesel generator :D :D :D

Stef

I put on a Shinko 09 rear for my trip from Iowa to the west coast. After 5600 miles, I only had 1-2/32 in the center. As it was Thursday and I didn't want to get stranded until Tuesday, I had a Pirelli Diablo Strada put on at the Yamaha dealer in Sonoroa, CA. The tire price was fair-$160 but it cost $80 to mount it.

I was able to watch from a short distance which was scarry! The mechanic (?) put it back together and torqued (?) the axel nut with air. Something wasn't right so he called his boss over who pounded out the axed with a 3/8 extension, redid it and seemed satisfied. I asked him what was up and he said "the speedometer gear was hard to line up". I said "you mean the ABS" and he said "uh, yeah". Seems to run OK and the brake works. God I hate on the road service.

So much for the 10,000 mile Shinkos! Ian, Iowa

Stef:

Don't hesitate to use the Shinko's in the twisties. I have been running a Raven 009 on the rear for the last 23000 miles and love them. Currently have 56000 miles on my 05. Wear longer than the Azaros I used for two previous sets and grip just as well in my opinion. I won't count my riding style as pure sportbike, but spirited and agressive for a FJR covers it, there are no chicken stips after a run around Palomar Mtn. I haven't used the Raven front tire yet because I'm not a fan of the tread pattern. Nothiong more than a center groove doesn't look to be able to displace enough water in wet conditions to me. You can't beat the price either, at least in the States. $50/$80 for the pair from https://www.ridenow.com/product/detail/ShinkoRaven.aspx I should add that I get over 11000 miles out of the rear Ravens, about a 1000 more than I ever got on the Azaro's

Running a BT021 on the front now and not real impressed. There is a lot of road noise from the front tire that I never had before with the Avons or the original BT020's before they cup. No handling issues, just road noise.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Stef, I'll throw another opinion into the mix..

40k on the 06, I've run Z6, Stradas, Pilot Roads, Avon Storms, and now a ME880 with Pilot Road in front.

By FAR and AWAY, I like the Storms best IF you get a good pair. And that IF is huge. The first set ran great, I boasted on the forum how good they were. The second set? Not so good, the front cupped away early, caused serious handling issues, and required on-the-road replacement. Bought new front and rear Storms again, headed off to Nevada, Oregon, Idaho (who do ho, Idaho!) Canada, Montana.. and right about 1.5 K into it, the rear was very weird, unacceptable handling... replaced with Pilot Roads front and rear.

So now, I'm on a Me880 rear, Pilot Road front. For USA style interstate riding, this is a great combo. The hard as nails ME needs a grippy front, I'm at the edge of acceptability using a PR front... the Avon would be much better, but after K on the ME, it doesn't even look worn..

so, my mantra currently is 'around my house, close to my dealer / tire changer, Avon Storms rock. If I'm on a tour, the storms get tossed, a ME is on the back, and a PR is on the front. These are consistent, quality tires. IMHO, of course :rolleyes:

Shit Stef didn't know you had be doing some ground-sky-ground-sky work? Hope your ok mate...

About the tyres Diablo Strada you wont be disappointed

Heal up quick!

I used the Me880s on the Cruiser and when they are new they are good. I can only get about 7500 miles out of them. Also towards the end of the tire life the rear gets a really nasty flat spot in the middle.

After using the Ravens on the FJR , I have been so satisfied with the performance I am now trying the Shinko 230 on the rear of the cruiser.

Bob

Well finally got to use the Ravens in a typical Prescott AZ down pour.

No surprises, tracked well, and displaced water well. Actually the people were surprised that when I pulled into the parking lot, I had a huge smile on my face, even though I was soaked.

Funny thing was, my son pulled up next to me and I said, " we are already wet, Lets find some more puddles".

So for all who snub their noses at the Stinkos please don't use them. I want to keep the demand down, and prices were they are.

Good day all.

Have ya'll checked the date on the original post? I think Stef has since already tried the Shinko's.

"So for all who snub their noses at the Stinkos please don't use them. I want to keep the demand down, and prices were they are. "

I was really surprised how civil this board was when Chinese tires were brought up, the Concours forum can get downright hostile if you run the WRONG tires.

I'm on my second rear Cheng Shin bias ply tire on my 03 Concours and it seems fine.

I intend to give the Shinkos a try on the FJR,

Thanks.

I guess tires are like chosing a wife, everyone has different requirements and needs :clapping:
I would suggest:

I think tires are just like choosing a wife, you know what you want and need. It's just hard to find all the features in the same package.

;)