06FJR deliveries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
So I rode to Roseville Yamaha today and checked out the 06 FJRs. I have written my impressions, now here are some pics:

family:

DSC03848.jpg

The rest are small to preserve bandwith...ask if you want larger images

Vents by headlights

DSC03850.jpg

Vent under dash

DSC03849.jpg

FJR getting prepped

DSC03851.jpg

Aha...a checklist and underneath the new seat

DSC03852.jpg

another rack shot

DSC03853.jpg

The other one parked and ready for pick up

DSC03854.jpg

Close up of old fairing

DSC03855.jpg

more to come

Last edited by a moderator:
New texture of fairing black plastic

DSC03857.jpg

Other side of new fairing, interesting new opening below and to rear of original

DSC03858.jpg

New nissin brake

DSC03859.jpg

New muffler bracket

DSC03860.jpg

New passenger footpeg, heel rest

DSC03861.jpg

new fork

DSC03862.jpg

old fork

DSC03863.jpg

New for on other side

DSC03864.jpg

old

DSC03865.jpg

more

Orange,

Nice to see the pics and descriptions of the '06 from somebody who already owns one. Never having had one the subtle changes are often overlooked. Thanks for taking the time....

Orange-

I can't decide if those pics make the wait easier or harder. Thanks for taking the time to post pics. In your opinion, is the 05 worth $1200 more than the 06? I've never owned an FJR before and that's the difference between deals for me. $1200 and a wait....

Orange-
I can't decide if those pics make the wait easier or harder.  Thanks for taking the time to post pics.  In your opinion, is the 05 worth $1200 more than the 06?  I've never owned an FJR before and that's the difference between deals for me.  $1200 and a wait....
I think of 06 is worth $1,200 more than the 05 for a couple of reasons:

1) www.kbb.com

2) The '06 is desinged with shorter exhaust valves. Some, including me, believe this is the fix to the ticker issue. Some will warn you that there is nothing saying that this is the case. I would say, combined with everything else, the chance makes it worth it.

3) Better heat shielding less heat on legs. Frankly with riding pants I don't really experience the heat issue, but not everyone wears what I do. Having the better shielding and better ventilation is probably good for the bike in a few ways.

4) The maintenance manager at the dealership owned an 05 and he says the 06 must have a different mapping and/or header changes to increase midrange punch as he says the difference is noticeable. Perhaps blue really is faster.

5) The bike, overall, just looks higher quality. Not that I think my 05 looks cheap, but I think the design of all the parts show a effort to make things look less like components that were thrown together and more like components that flow together in form and function. This is purely asthetic mind you, but I like the visual effect.

5) The adjustable seat is worth it. Seats alone are 4-7 hundred bucks, therefore what is making it adjustable worth?

6) I don't like the new vents by the headlights. I just have to say this. Cleaning the bugs outta there is gonna be a pain in the ass

7) radiator guard and asthetically nice curved radiator - the guard means money you don't have to spend.

8) adjustable handlebars (swing forward and back, not up down) might save you some money on risers, and might give you adjustability depending on your intended ride planning. Back for more upright, forward for sportier. Nice to have an option

9) More comfortable pillion. That's worth a lot. You'll probably spend money on this on the 06 too. Backrest, topcase, both...who knows what she'll need if you ride 2up (intercom, ipod, etc)

10) The number of changes are fairly incredible, while combined they are subtle. When you put these bikes side by side you can spend a better part of 2 hours noticing all the differences.

I could go on...in short, wait. It's worth it, but I'm still more than happy with my 05. I bet you would be more than happy with an 05 too. I think with an 06 you may be more than more than happy :D

I almost forgot!

I didn't get a pic either!

The rack on the back is now designed with all three bolts going through the decklid therefore, for topcsase rack mounting, there will no more drilling through the plastic under the rack for the front two bolts for the topcase rack! That means when you aren't useing the topcase, you can easily take off the topcase rack without leaving 2 holes to be unsightly, or to cover. I think this is a very nice change indeed.

10) The number of changes are fairly incredible, while combined they are subtle. When you put these bikes side by side you can spend a better part of 2 hours noticing all the differences.
+1 !!

I had mine parked next to Bigdolma's 04 at work last Thursday - we stood out there for 40 minutes comparing the two - and there are LOTS of changes. And I'm sure we'll find more as time goes on.

It's obvious that Yamaha did a substantial redesign on this model.

orangevale,thanks. And your news that mid-range power is increased is GREAT news. I never owned a Yamaha before largely due to the power being mostly at high rpm on the few Yammys I rode. Am very glad to read your comments.Thanks gain.

Another thanks for your efforts. Nice pics and write up comparison. Lke others, doesn't make the wait any easier. With the info from this forum I will be able take the dealer sales guys on a walk around and show them the features of the bike. ;)

Just got the call today. FJR will be here by Wednesday. 1 more FJR owner is being added to the list...I know you all have seen posts like this before but this one is mine!! Ordered 03/17. Waiting sucks. Maybe my vasectomy wounds will be healed by then?