How fast will an FJR go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh............the age old question. One of the core original Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Thread topics.

So do I have any new insight into this question for the ages? Not really. But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and................

Did my first longer trip with my new Garmin 2730 GPS when I went to San Diego last week for a family visit. Reset everything on the GPS for the trip home, and after a nice scenic start through Julian, CA, then the first time on a new road - S1, in which I saw a very chilly 6000' of altitude, it was off to burning up, and burning up in, the desert flatlands.

After all was said and done, here are all the particulars from the GPS:

GPS-SanDiegoTrip004.jpg

Hee hee hee.........I was baaaad!

Conditions: Sidebags on and fully loaded. Tailbag bully loaded. Rifle shield all the way down. 10-15 mph tailwind, and a slight downgrade on my favorite deserted interstate. Ummmm.........I mean closed course with a professional driver. Do NOT attempt this at home.

Only had a chance for quick glance, but speedo was reading 159 or 160. Tach showed 9500 rpm. FJR had no more to give.

FJR was rock solid stable. Only problem is that which you can see in the next photo:

GPS-SanDiegoTrip008.jpg

See that pesky little yellow "check engine" light? That bugger came on just as I was backing off the throttle. I also get an error code of "24" (which you can see also). I haven't looked it up in the service manual yet, but this happened to me once before during a high speed blast in the Nevada netherlands. Must have something to do with redline running. If I remember correctly, the error code is for the O2 sensor. Well, I have a PCIII and the O2 sensor is disconnected. It also is a PITA to reset that yellow light and error code IIRC. Still.......it is all worth the little adrenaline rush.

62,922 miles on an '05?

.....I am such a pansy ass. :dribble: Damn 40 hour work week!

You got me by 6 mph on the GPS and 5 mph on the indicated speed. ....but my check engine light has never come on before.

24 shows as "No normal signals are received from the O2 sensor."

What's the big deal? I can get my Garmin to read any max speed I want. ;) Now, if you had a pictures of a CHP's radar gun showing 155 MPH, I would be impressed - so would your inusrance provider!

By the way, doesn't that big head of yours get tossed around violently at that speed from the wind blast? Does that gay little hat stay on, too?

:p

- The Ninny :fuck:

[SIZE=8pt](Actually, 155 MPH, fully loaded with the seat bag on, is indeed, impressive! :eek: )[/SIZE]

As a moderator you should be setting a better example. Your disregard for posted speed limits, is one thing, but to flaunt the proof on your Garmin is another.

Some of the other forum members may take this up as a challenge to go even faster with [hopefully not] disastrous consequences.

You should set a better example to the younger members who [why I don't know] look up to you.

You may not care for your own life, but what of the innocents that may be harmed or killed as a result of an accident at that speed.

Howard

As a moderator you should be setting a better example. Your disregard for posted speed limits, is one thing, but to flaunt the proof on your Garmin is another.Some of the other forum members may take this up as a challenge to go even faster with [hopefully not] disastrous consequences.

You should set a better example to the younger members who [why I don't know] look up to you.

You may not care for your own life, but what of the innocents that may be harmed or killed as a result of an accident at that speed.

Howard
Yeah +1 ROFLMAOFNGSTFUnOOb I've already got the nitrous ordered, my fiery demise will be all your fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a moderator you should be setting a better example. Your disregard for posted speed limits, is one thing, but to flaunt the proof on your Garmin is another.Some of the other forum members may take this up as a challenge to go even faster with [hopefully not] disastrous consequences.

Howard
See #3 on the Forum Guidelines If you think moderators are here to be role models.....well maybe you should read #6 also.

Skooter's not right in the head. We should all know that by now. Maybe I should pin a statement like that for all the FNG's. The chances of him taking out an innocent with his antics (other than maybe a forest rat) are so slim as to be laughable.

Lighten up Chicken Little.

Hey, you forgot the ;)

But seriously, are these bikes capable of speeds in excess of Spider's Harley (100mph)?

I better sell it now. ;)

See how well that works?

Holy shit cakes, Howardrg, I DO hope you're making an attempt at sarcasm here...otherwise you're gonna drop dead of a cardiac arrest any minute.

rulz.gif

Some of the other forum members may take this up as a challenge to go even faster with [hopefully not] disastrous consequences.You should set a better example to the younger members who [why I don't know] look up to you.

Howard
"If guns kill people then spoons make Michael Moore fat."
Same turd different smell IMO. :p

Scooter you definitely posted this in the right topic department. :bleh:

BTW just to add fuel to the flicker of a spark to this thread, the FJR runs out of steam at around 135 and begins to crawl to your GPS readout. :assasin:

You want all out speed, this is the wrong bike for it.

I still can't figure out why I responded to this? :fool:

Wierd with the engine light and error code.

My one run at 156 mph didn't result in either, but mine is stock (no PC and O2 hooked up) and has a lot less mileage.

Altitude 680 ASL.

Wierd with the engine light and error code.My one run at 156 mph didn't result in either, but mine is stock (no PC and O2 hooked up) and has a lot less mileage.

Altitude 680 ASL.
Damn, now I'm thinkin' I need a GPS. As a damn diag tool no less! "Huh, huh, He said Tool!"

BTW, They're coming to a town near you!

Damn you Skooter, Damn You to Hell!!! :fuck:

By the way, doesn't that big head of yours get tossed around violently at that speed from the wind blast?  Does that gay little hat stay on, too?
hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif

I will no longer feel gulity about riding at semi-legal speeds, I will no longer feel gulity about riding at semi-legal speeds, I will no longer feel gulity..............................