FJR doesn't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HouFJR

Reaction score
I put my 2004 ABS model in the shop on Wednesday.

I went out to ride, and went to start it up as usual. Normally, the FJR starts after less than a second of cranking; fuel injection is truly remarkable.

This time, it just cranked and cranked; after about 15 seconds I gave up rather than drain the battery. Another test 30 minutes later revealed the same thing.

The cranking felt very "free", as if there was little compression in the pistons.

Anyone experienced anything like this? The shop says they'll be able to look at it today.

I'm glad I bought YES.

(Rad, breath slowly, in through nose, out through mouth, OoomMM, OoomMM)

HouFJR, try holding the throttle wide open and crank the engine in several short bursts, <10 sec each. Normally I would bet near 100% that this would start your bike in 3-4 tries, however the kink in this is that your dealer performed some nameless service. It would help to know what the dealer may have fiddled with. I'm pretty sure the problem will turn out to be simple. (As always, you have checked the right handle bar kill switch, have gas...)

Ok, now Rad can step in with his proven formula for sure fire ignition B)

Surefire ignition? Pour gas on the damn thing and set it on fire. We still don't know if it was ridden prior to dealer/stealership maintenance.

So, it didn't start at the dealership? Or, after trailering it home (no prob there) it wouldn't start? Not gonna plug you for that.....just wondering.

have them check the fuel injection fuse, just behind the neg terminal on or close to the frame

It was at home and wouldn't start, so I called the dealer. They referred me to a bike towing company (guy with a big van) who brought it in to them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll relay the info to them. They're supposed to run diagnostics on it today.

I'm dealing with Brian at Houston Motorsports North (the Yamaha store on 1960 west of 249.)

Just got off the phone with the service writer.

The error code was for the tip-over sensor. The bike was dropped about two year ago (parking garage gate arm malfunctioned and knocked me and my ex off the bike, lawsuit still pending against the garage on the fiasco)

According to the service writer, the tip-over code should have required a reset immediately. He's perplexed that it took this long -- they're talking to Yamaha now.

Yes, the FJR will automatically shut off if it exceeds 70 degrees over.

The switch must be reset.

Glad you found it was a simple solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... I assume the bike has to be running when the tipover occurs, since mine has gone both left and right with the engine off with no resulting issues.

Just 70 degrees? The canyon carvers must hate that. LOL.

What's odd is that this tripped two years later, when the bike is on its side stand.

Another update.

It turns out that the code for the tip-over was in the history. According to Yamaha, it has to be cleared, or it can prevent the bike from starting. (Nice way to get you into the dealer, huh?) The dealer reset the code.

The dealer found fouled plugs, replaced them, and it starts fine now. There have been some problems with the TPS switch (the thing that detects the tip-over) and they're replacing that while it's in the shop.

Yamaha is picking up the TPS switch and the tow in.

The dealer found fouled plugs
The most likely reason bikie didn't start. See post #3 in this thread, it will help clear the plugs and get 'er to go should there ever be another no start incident.

Strange on the tip-over sensor thought. I did a zero MPH dump and I could have sworn the engine was running but now I'm not sure (might have stalled it on the way down). It started right up a few minutes later after I lifted it.

Are you sure they need to be manually reset?

In the manual for 04/05 models, the "Lean angle cut-off switch" is talked about on page 1-16.

I am sure the 06 manual talks about it also.

A yamaha tech told me that they had to reset that switch. I have never dumped my bike, but maybe turning the ignition off and on would work. The manual is unclear about what switch is to be reset.

In the manual for 04/05 models, the "Lean angle cut-off switch" is talked about on page 1-16.I am sure the 06 manual talks about it also.

A yamaha tech told me that they had to reset that switch. I have never dumped my bike, but maybe turning the ignition off and on would work. The manual is unclear about what switch is to be reset.
I'm confused (have not had a chance to look at the manual). Does all of this mean that if I drop the bike in my driveway that I'm going to have to have the bike hauled to the dealer to have some unknown switch re-set? I find that hard to believe.

Latest posts