YCC-S SH___46 code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flere-Imsaho

Reaction score
My bike is FJR1300AS 2006. (AS is called AE in the US)

Bike functions normally when riding .

But today I rode on the German Autobahn with 160kmh in the 5th gear and when I then accellarate (open up the throttle in one flick) then after a second or so the shift light blinks once and then the shift light is on permanent and the errorcode SH___46 is displayed. The YCC-S doesn't function anymore then.

So I had to ride to the next parking, and stop the bike while in 5th gear and no clutch operation functioning.

Switch bike off and on again. Everything ok. Shift bike back to 1th gear and ride away again.

I did a couple of tests, but it is repeatable. Riding high speed in 5th gear and than opening the throttle will lead to SH___46 on my bike.

Maybe it is also when I pass a certain speed (>175kmh) or rpm threshold, I forgot to test this. Maybe tomorrow if the weather is nice, I go and try this.

Already called the dealer for looking into this.

I think the error happens when the bike goes above a certain speed or rpm count, but I'm not sure. When I ride normally in Holland I never get above 5000 rpm. But on the German Autobahn I get easily above that.

Anybody know what the cause of the SH___46 can be or has had this error also ?

Thanks,

- Flere.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm reading the FSM right, the error code means abnormal voltage at the fuel injection system. Doesn't say high or low, just abnormal.

Hopefully some of the techie types will weigh in on this. Never seen it on my bike (although we don't have the oppertunity for high speed running like you do)

But today I rode on the German Autobahn with 160kmh in the 5th gear and when I then accellarate (open up the throttle in one flick) then after a second or so the shift light blinks once and then the shift light is on permanent and the errorcode SH___46 is displayed. The YCC-S doesn't function anymore then.

- Flere.
You might want to read this topic, looks like a similar problem.

May be your clutch is slipping?

If I'm reading the FSM right, the error code means abnormal voltage at the fuel injection system. Doesn't say high or low, just abnormal.
Hopefully some of the techie types will weigh in on this. Never seen it on my bike (although we don't have the oppertunity for high speed running like you do)
Bwanadik, the code you mean is the ECU code. The error code I have is the YCC-S code, with the SH___ in front of the number.

- Flere.

Thankt for this link!. I did a google on sh__46 before but could not find any entries.

Could be that its the clutch. I normally do not notice any abnormal clutch slipping, but maybe in those extreme cases the clutch indeed slips. The problem occurs when the engine surges throught the upper rpm's. It would explain the symptom, the engine revs higher than it should, and so the ECU calculates a lower gear than the gear sensor indicates.

Thank you very much for this link, now I can tell my dealer to check the clutch.

Also when the bike is cold, the bike shudders when pulling away in 1st gear. Maybe that is also a clutch problem.

Thanks,

- Flere

For reference, the bike has about 15000km on the ODO.

Obviously got that wrong. What pages are the fault codes listed in the FSM?
Starts at page 8-171.

The problem is that the description of the code is that the calculated gear does not match the sensed gear. And then the solution seems to be to teach the YCC-S CU which gear is which. Which is in my view utter nonsense since after I reset the bike via off-on the bike nows very well in which gear it is.

Possible clutch slipping at high power output of the engine looks a lot more plausible by me (thanks mcatrophy !).

I do not understand there is not a proper fault cause analysis tree in the FSM.

Regards,

- Flere.

Thankt for this link!. I did a google on sh__46 before but could not find any entries.

Could be that its the clutch. I normally do not notice any abnormal clutch slipping, but maybe in those extreme cases the clutch indeed slips. The problem occurs when the engine surges throught the upper rpm's. It would explain the symptom, the engine revs higher than it should, and so the ECU calculates a lower gear than the gear sensor indicates.

Thank you very much for this link, now I can tell my dealer to check the clutch.

Also when the bike is cold, the bike shudders when pulling away in 1st gear. Maybe that is also a clutch problem.

Thanks,

- Flere

For reference, the bike has about 15000km on the ODO.
The shudder is often a sign of the clutch needing an oil soak. That also points to a clutch problem.

[The shudder is often a sign of the clutch needing an oil soak. That also points to a clutch problem.
That I read about but I do not understand. The FJR has a wet clutch, so I would think the clutch plates are soaked in engine oil already.

- Flere.
Some of the plates stick together and the oil never gets in between the plates. Seems to be a problem with 07 & 08's. So your clutch may be only using some of the clutch plates.

Bike functions normally when riding .

So I had to ride to the next parking, and stop the bike while in 5th gear and no clutch operation functioning.

Switch bike off and on again. Everything ok. Shift bike back to 1th gear and ride away again.

I did a couple of tests, but it is repeatable. Riding high speed in 5th gear and than opening the throttle will lead to SH___46 on my bike.

Maybe it is also when I pass a certain speed (>175kmh) or rpm threshold, I forgot to test this. Maybe tomorrow if the weather is nice, I go and try this.

Already called the dealer for looking into this.

I think the error happens when the bike goes above a certain speed or rpm count, but I'm not sure. When I ride normally in Holland I never get above 5000 rpm. But on the German Autobahn I get easily above that.

Anybody know what the cause of the SH___46 can be or has had this error also ?

Thanks,

- Flere.
Hi,

Sh_ _46 Malfunction detecting condition-Gear position calculated by MCU (motor control unit) is different from foot shift switch. Symptom-Engine speed and gear position sensor signal do not match while vehicle is driven. As quoted from an "08" Yamaha manual.

Yes FJR clutches are wet but they are located above the crankshaft and may need to be soaked.

Good Luck,

Bill

Obviously got that wrong. What pages are the fault codes listed in the FSM?
Starts at page 8-171.

The problem is that the description of the code is that the calculated gear does not match the sensed gear. And then the solution seems to be to teach the YCC-S CU which gear is which. Which is in my view utter nonsense since after I reset the bike via off-on the bike nows very well in which gear it is.

Possible clutch slipping at high power output of the engine looks a lot more plausible by me (thanks mcatrophy !).

I do not understand there is not a proper fault cause analysis tree in the FSM.

Regards,

- Flere.
Flere,

You get to ride your FJR around Holland & Germany??? You lucky bastard! :D I'm so jelous, are you Dutch?? If not what work do you do to be able to work over there?? I was stationed in Holland for 4 yrs 88-92. I loved it there,let me know what things are like there nowadays???

Thanks!! Enjoy, hop you figure out your code error!

Flere,
You get to ride your FJR around Holland & Germany??? You lucky bastard! :D I'm so jelous, are you Dutch?? If not what work do you do to be able to work over there?? I was stationed in Holland for 4 yrs 88-92. I loved it there,let me know what things are like there nowadays???

Thanks!! Enjoy, hop you figure out your code error!
Yes, I'm Dutch. And not only that, but also living close to the border of Germany and Belgium. Belgium is known for its bad road conditions, but has nice scenery with the Ardennes region. Germany provides the Autobahn which is nice from time to time to let the FJR go through its paces, and Germany also provides very nice roads in hilly regions.

In Holland itself it’s risky to ride above legal speeds. Undercover video cars which follow you and clock your speed are getting extremely popular, also on the tele as a kind of cops show, but then with speed offenders. Do not think of US type multi car chases at high speed through heavy traffic and busy neighborhoods. In Holland this is about a guy driving 135kmh on the highway without endangering anybody, when the legal limit is 120kmh. Then they spend 15 minutes on tele on clocking the guy and giving him a ticket. And this is very popular tele show in Holland. Amazing, huh. I understand the traffic control issue, but I am amazed it’s a popular tele show.

Holland is also the country where a radar detector is illegal, so the cops have a radar detector detector.

But if you have a GPS with radar locations on the map that is ok. :wacko:

In the summer holiday I often ride my FJR in France. Now that is nice riding.

There they have those big signs which warn you for the speed cams.

cygoris_1107989123_panneau_radar_fixe.jpg

Although they do not warn you for the moto cops with the laser guns. :(

speedtrap.jpg

- Flere.

I'm just back from an early sunday morning test ride.

1. Riding 150kmh in the 5th gear. Slowly increasing speed until 190kmh. Everything stays fine.
  2. Riding 150kmh in the 5th gear. Opening throttle wide. When the rpm get around or above 6000 while still accelarating SH___46 happens.

So my theory now is that in 5th gear above 6000rpm the engine power output is too much for the clutch, causing the gear calculation error, resulting in SH___46.

- Flere.

I'm just back from an early sunday morning test ride.

1. Riding 150kmh in the 5th gear. Slowly increasing speed until 190kmh. Everything stays fine.
  2. Riding 150kmh in the 5th gear. Opening throttle wide. When the rpm get around or above 6000 while still accelarating SH___46 happens.

So my theory now is that in 5th gear above 6000rpm the engine power output is too much for the clutch, causing the gear calculation error, resulting in SH___46.

- Flere.
Sounds probable. Might be worth trying in a lower gear (so lower speed on the road - but more acceleration, hang on tight).

Let us know what happens.

Sounds probable. Might be worth trying in a lower gear (so lower speed on the road - but more acceleration, hang on tight).
I tried the same in lower gears, but then no problem occures. I think the torque differential the clutch has to handle is not big enough in lower gears so the clutch won't slip.

When I know more I'll post back.

- Flere.

I tried the same in lower gears, but then no problem occures. I think the torque differential the clutch has to handle is not big enough in lower gears so the clutch won't slip.

- Flere.
Last Sunday I tried again and I could reproduce the problem also in the 4th gear.

Bike repaired today, problems are gone.

Our forum analysis of the clutch being the culprit of the SH___46 error code is correct.

According to the dealer the clutch was indeed the problem.

The complete clutch had to be replaced, the steel plates, the friction plates and the spring.

Just back from a long test ride. The clutch is now smooth, fast and rock solid.

I have not been able to cause the SH___46 problem with the new clutch.

[SIZE=18pt]Conclusion[/SIZE]

While it is not in the service manual we can conclude now:

[SIZE=14pt]YCC-S SH___46 error code =====> possible cause is slipping clutch[/SIZE]

when it should not slip. Check you clutch.

- Flere.

- Flere.
Last Sunday I tried again and I could reproduce the problem also in the 4th gear.

Bike repaired today, problems are gone.

Our forum analysis of the clutch being the culprit of the SH___46 error code is correct.

According to the dealer the clutch was indeed the problem.

The complete clutch had to be replaced, the steel plates, the friction plates and the spring.

Just back from a long test ride. The clutch is now smooth, fast and rock solid.

I have not been able to cause the SH___46 problem with the new clutch.

[SIZE=18pt]Conclusion[/SIZE]

While it is not in the service manual we can conclude now:

[SIZE=14pt]YCC-S SH___46 error code =====> possible cause is slipping clutch[/SIZE]

when it should not slip. Check you clutch.

- Flere.
Pleased to hear of your good result. Enjoy!

Not that it helps you at this point, but I had the same problem on my 07' AE with 2500 miles on it. I dissassembled the clutch and the plates were bone dry and stuck together. I bought new frictions, steels and spring soaked the frictions and installed the following day. No more problems yet and the clutch is very smooth.

Take care,

Dan