Spider Treatment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well in going with various tasks I took a shot at some Spiders I could reach and wanted to treat them.

This is a 10 with 4000 miles on.

First and foremost I was not pleased how one, of these two looked as far as corrosion starting. The one out was pretty new looking and the one I left in looks to be getting early stages of oxidation.

spiders%20in%20out.jpg

So I sanded all sides, inside out of the block you remove, squirted some contact cleaner in the connections, packed them with dielectric grease, slid the block back in and packed the top of the block. You can see the right side one is packed waiting on the black cap. Now I took liquid tape and coated all outside surfaces and pushed it up from the bottom into the wire holes. I did this by untwisting the twist at the bottom, brushed liquid tape into and the let it twist back to it's set. Then I brushed the bundle again and the entire white and black plastic parts. This pick shows it with the first coat on one and brushed into the bottom of another. The white wrapped plug is from the electrical connection left from removing the PAIR system.

spider%20tape%20di%20pack.jpg

I did apply more coats as I went to smooth and seal the bottom bundles. I also pealed one after set to see how that works and it is fine, it comes off just like tape and if I go in again I will run a blade around it to try and not to disturb what is on the plastic to make re-coating easy.

I have had Road Runner harness on since 0 miles and since I am a "Red Headed Step Child With Freckles Who Owns A 2010" as far as Yamaha is concerned, I needed to get proactive. I only did 3, the two you see and the one under the water pipe on top of the motor. I could not get to the one in the upper left corner due to my neck still messing with me but I will.

Not saying this is, or is not the way to do it, but it is the way I will continue to do mine, and sooner than later!

I have an '09 and have 'treated' all my spiders with ACF-50 So far absolutely no signs of corrosion and no problems. Just to be on the safe side I have installed a 'Road Runner' harness and I have a 'Brodie' harness, just in case! So for me it's belt & braces plus an insurance policy :rolleyes:

Don